University Research Project - Management Review

R

rogermcg

Hi all,

I am a long time visitor of the forum, but first time poster.

I am working on a*Dissertation*on the subject of Management Review in the ISO 9001 Standard, for an MSc in Quality Management at Robert Gordon University. To achieve the objectives of my*Dissertation*I have prepared a survey aimed at Quality Management practitioners and people interested in ISO 9001, to gain insight into how requirements are interpreted, different approaches to the review, and the value placed on Management Reviews.

Please access the survey by following this link:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1...F0Gw-YyQwHKuU91fJP0J8_5g/viewform?usp=sf_link

The survey takes 8 to 12 minutes to complete, and is completely anonymous. I would be delighted to share the results of my research with anyone who is interested, please get in touch!

The more responses I receive, the more reliable the research will be, so please participate if you can spare a few minutes.

I hope you find the questions interesting and thought provoking, it would be great if they could stimulate some discussion in this thread!

Thanks and Regards,

Roger

dsanabria

Quite Involved in Discussions
WOW good luck with that - 29 Questions and 4 pages?

It's hard to get them to fill out a 3 question survey - The survey is too wordy and you will only get 3 out of 100 to answer.

Most of the Quality individuals are busy putting fire out.

Your best bet is to call them up or visit the company.

Didn't mean to throw cold water on your project - just being real and not setting up high expectation :2cents:

Randy

Super Moderator
I'm not a practitioner, just a 3rd party auditor putting in his :2cents:

Good luck, you actually picked the least exciting and one of the least attention attracting pieces of the document. I may look at 40-100 management reviews a year, maybe more, and it's one of the dullest things there is. Get together, look at what's been done, come up with some types of marginally ill defined actions that need to be done, say thanks and bail back to managing.

Design-development, customer expectations/relations, production planning or process flow management might have been a bit better

Reviews are by and large annual (well over 90%); no need to interpret requirement because 5.6.1, 5.6.2, 5.6.3 are nothing more than a simple well defined checklist that simply needs to be followed verbatum for success; more ofetn than not everyone knows whats going on and what needs to be done well before the review so value-addedness is about nil.

If you get honest survey results they will be reflected above

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
I hope you find the questions interesting and thought provoking, it would be great if they could stimulate some discussion in this thread!
The reality of a QMS management review is the fact that, for the vast majority of certified organizations, is a total waste. Most of the quality professionals involved with leading management reviews can not make the connection between strategic business and financial performance of the organization with the quality system. Many management reviews deliver cruel and unusual punishment to executives by drilling in minutia that is totally inconsequential.

Effective and engaging management reviews are those that identify and expose serious risks to the sustainable success and performance of an organization, emanating from customer satisfaction and loyalty, product conformity and process performance issues. Unfortunately, all too often, quality practitioners fail to connect the dots to upper management so proper decisions can be made.

Last edited:

dsanabria

Quite Involved in Discussions
Hi all,

I am working on a*Dissertation*on the subject of Management Review in the ISO 9001 Standard, for an MSc in Quality Management at Robert Gordon University. To achieve the objectives of my*Dissertation*I have prepared a survey aimed at Quality Management practitioners and people interested in ISO 9001, to gain insight into how requirements are interpreted, different approaches to the review, and the value placed on Management Reviews. <snip>

after reviewing some of the fellow points of view.... what is your new and enhanced point of view?

R

rogermcg

Hi guys,

Obviously some disappointing initial feedback, but all feedback is useful. I am in the unfortunate position of having been tasked with a project which would not be my first choice, but I am determined to try to make something of it.

My only internet access is by phone at the moment, so I am unable to do anything but have a re-think things over for a couple of days.

I am sure it will be possible to focus on the main objectives to slim things down, and make the content simpler, but the subject will still be management review.

Thanks for the feedback. Genuinley appreciated and helps explain low response so far. Hope I havent put you guys off of getting involved if I can improve my survey.

Best regards,

Roger

Paul Simpson

Trusted Information Resource
Hi all,

I am working on a*Dissertation*on the subject of Management Review in the ISO 9001 Standard, for an MSc in Quality Management at Robert Gordon University. To achieve the objectives of my*Dissertation*I have prepared a survey aimed at Quality Management practitioners and people interested in ISO 9001, to gain insight into how requirements are interpreted, different approaches to the review, and the value placed on Management Reviews. <snip>

Hi, Roger. Tough gig! :nope: Let's just say I don't agree with all my fellow posters' views! :D

I found the survey relatively easy to complete and a really interesting topic for a Masters' assignment. I'll be pleased to hear how it goes and any other emerging areas. On the survey I posted a link to a page on my website where I reproduced an article about the use of ISO terminology in management systems and the way the quality professionals speak.

I'm a consultant but have used a recent example for an Interim QM role where the business has regular Leadership team meetings where performance is discussed and each monthly meeting has a theme as well as core performance data. We have had to introduce only one additional theme to the programme of meetings and that is internal and external audits.

The whole topic of review is badly managed in general, IMHO. Sidney is right that many quality professionals are too far from strategy formulation and implementation to be able to work the ISO clauses into what 'top management' does. As I've noted in my article:
You would expect the board to discuss the effectiveness of the organisation’s management system in ensuring it delivers products and services to meet customer requirements Customer feedback, internal quality measures and the status of improvement plans and programmes would be topics of interest to any managing director.

I'll be interested in any output from your survey and to continue discussion either here or privately.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
Obviously some disappointing initial feedback, but all feedback is useful.
If I were you, I would not see as a disappointment but the identification of a major opportunity for improvement in the universe of ISO 9001 user organizations.

Management review (for Quality) is supposed to be a critical event in the PDCA journey, but, for too many organizations, it becomes a valueless exercise which most top managers don't see any benefit to be derived from.

If I were you, I would direct your paper and research towards how to make (QMS) management reviews engaging, welcomed and value-added events, from top management's perspective; they are supposed to be primary interested parties of a management review.

Ninja

Looking for Reality
Trusted Information Resource
If I were you, I would direct your paper and research towards how to make (QMS) management reviews engaging, welcomed and value-added events, from top management's perspective; they are supposed to be primary interested parties of a management review.

+1 to Sidney. That would be a thesis I would like to read...and may have some real benefit to the industry at large.

Not "What does everyone do wrong..." but "Here's how you can do it right!"
Go for it.

Randy

Super Moderator
Yeah on what Sidney said, he's much nicer than me.

If this was an assignment by your teacher, instructor, tutor, Professor or whatever then it's another example of the lost leading the poor unknowing....And the cliff is straight ahead

Top Bottom