Unnecessary Modification Clinical Evaluation 510(k)

T

Tonyw

Hi all,

I am new to the regulatory field and was reading an FDA guidance document when I came upon an interesting section (to me) in regards to modification to medical device that if it relates to safety, clinical evaluation can be unnecessary. For those who have experience in the field, do you mind sharing with me reasons why clinical evaluation can be unnecessary when modifying a device in regards to safety? Just trying to understand the concept better.

The guidance statement is below.

?If you make a modification that affects usability as it relates to safety, then you should either perform a clinical evaluation or justify in writing to FDA why you believe that a clinical evaluation is unnecessary.

Thank you in advance!

Tony

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
Hi all,

I am new to the regulatory field and was reading an FDA guidance document when I came upon an interesting section (to me) in regards to modification to medical device that if it relates to safety, clinical evaluation can be unnecessary. For those who have experience in the field, do you mind sharing with me reasons why clinical evaluation can be unnecessary when modifying a device in regards to safety? Just trying to understand the concept better.

The guidance statement is below.

“If you make a modification that affects usability as it relates to safety, then you should either perform a clinical evaluation or justify in writing to FDA why you believe that a clinical evaluation is unnecessary.

Thank you in advance!

Tony
Hello and welcome to the Cove :bigwave:

It would have helped if you specified what guidance docuemnt you're referring to. FDA has hundreds of them.

I'm guessing that it's one that relates to usability. If it is, then it means that this guidance applies from the usability aspect. it doesn't necessarily cover ALL aspects of device modifications. Sometimes applicable guidance is scaterred across multiple resources.

Last, the quote you included only says that if you think that clinical evaluation is not necessary in a certian case such as the one described, you should tell the FDA about it, trying to convince them that you are right (justify).

Cheers,
Ronen.

Last edited:
T

Tonyw

Hello and welcome to the Cove :bigwave:

It would have helped if you specified what guidance docuemnt you're referring to. FDA has hundreds of them.

I'm guessing that it's one that relates to usability. If it is, then it means that this guidance applies from the usability aspect. it doesn't necessarily covers ALL aspects of device modifications. Sometimes applicable guidance is scaterred across multiple resources.

Last, the quote you included only says that if you think that clinical evaluation is not necessary in a certian case such as the one described, you should tell the FDA about it, trying to convince them that you are right (justify).

Cheers,
Ronen.
Thanks for the welcome Ronen!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
X Necessary or Unnecessary Redundancy in Procedures ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
Jim Wynne How much third-party sorting is unnecessary - War Stories Wanted Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 2
T Modification of a product on the market EU Medical Device Regulations 2
Icy Mountain Engineering Change Order...Modification Order Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 18
shimonv Creating a new commercial product based on a modification to an existing product Other US Medical Device Regulations 4
N Substantial or non-substantial modification in clinical studies EU Medical Device Regulations 1
M Proposed System: Revision = Modification Date; Approval = Access Permissions Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
P Is it possible to receive EASA STC within 48 hours after modification? EASA and JAA Aviation Standards and Requirements 1
Ronen E FDA releases new draft guidance on when to submit a 510(k) for device modification Other US Medical Device Regulations 10
M AS9102 Form #3 modification AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 5
B EMC Repeat Justification - Reducing NRTL testing required after modification of ME IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
Q Modification in Controlled Documents AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 4
P Modification to Medical Device User Manual Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
V When to Notify Customer about Die Modification APQP and PPAP 4
E Extent of modification to be considered as Modified Adoption Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
S Modification of Class I and Class IIa Surgical Medical Devices EU Medical Device Regulations 1
S Modification of Schemas (Drawings/Prints) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
Sidney Vianna OASIS Modification To Manage Auditor Type (AEA/AA) For Each Authentication AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 1
B Does this count as a 510(k) Medical Device Modification 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 14
A Tool Modification Drawing Change Control and Numbering Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
D Design Verification for special 510(k) - Size modification to an existing medical device 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 7
T FDA Class III Medical Device Modification - 510k Application 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
S APQP Application - Product/process modification and production transfer APQP and PPAP 6
P Supplier Modification Management procedure example wanted Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 7
C ISO 9001:2008 - Bogota - ICONTEC Forum - Modification Schedule ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
shimonv Minimum 60601 requirements for a clinical trial IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
S A clinical performance evaluation study with an IVD product as Investagional Use product - Clinical Monitor requirements 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
J Need for a cleanroom in the manufacture of a medical device for a clinical trial EU Medical Device Regulations 4
R Impact of changing manufacturer post clinical investigation CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
C MDCG 2020-06 Clinical evidence legacy devices EU Medical Device Regulations 3
R Clinical evaluation without clinical data - MDR Article 61(10) EU Medical Device Regulations 6
M Clinical Evaluation Plan vs. PMCF Plan EU Medical Device Regulations 19
S Selling Clinical Practice Advice Other US Medical Device Regulations 7
S FDA's E submitter - For clinical electronic thermometer Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 6
M Good Clinical Practice (GCP) - ISO 14155 vs. ICH Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 5
S Article 61 - MDR Clinical Investigation Requirement EU Medical Device Regulations 5
J Are DAM tools, Mobile application, clinical dashboard, etc. considered accessories to medical device or supportive functions? Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
M Can someone share a scrubbed version of Clinical Evaluation Plan (CEP) EU Medical Device Regulations 1
R Do Medical Device Complaints include Clinical Trials? Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 3
S EU MDR Annex XIV - Clinical Evaluation Plan - What do these methods mean? EU Medical Device Regulations 12
dgrainger Informational MHRA updated guidance: Clinical investigations of medical devices – guidance for manufacturers Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
vickyva Checklist for Clinical Investigation compliant to EU-MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 4
U Do we need clinical trial data for Class IIa medical device under MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 7
M Risk Classification For Supplier - Clinical Research Organisation (CRO) Supply Chain Security Management Systems 3
A Post-market clinical followup studies (PMCF) EU Medical Device Regulations 16
Ed Panek Adverse Event Clinical Trial using a 510K approved Device Other US Medical Device Regulations 6
S Clinical Evaluation - Is this an ISO 13485:2016 requirement? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
M Informational How to perform a clinical evaluation of medical devices – Part 2 – Level of clinical evidence and what sufficient clinical evidence means Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M EU – Chemical Safety Report – CSR – REACH Authorisation decisions – Triton X-100 – Ortho-clinical-Use1 REACH and RoHS Conversations 0
M One clinical design: Russia and Europe Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 0