Unorthodox auditing - Giving auditees a brief version the checklist before the audit

How would you feel about giving the auditees a brief version of your checklist before the audit? We’ve been tossing that idea around a bit here, and I’d like to hear your opinions about it.

/Claes

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
S

Sporty

We do that here. It works out well, the auditee has a better understanding of what the auditor will be looking for.

The last three companies I have worked for, going back to 1989, have always given the auditee a copy of the checklist.

M

M Greenaway

Jim

Why send people who dont do audits on auditing courses ?

Why give auditees a copy of an audit checklist ??

Why not instead teach everyone the principles of quality assurance, quality management and/or ISO9000 to a level that they need to know in their respective positions ???

E

energy

Re: Re: Unorthodox auditing

Jim Wade said:

Sure, Claes, why not? Especially if you are talking about internal auditing.

It seems to me an internal audit is an example of teamwork - two or more colleagues working together to improve things. So why not share all information freely?

In a similar vein: why do we send internal auditors on audit training courses and not the rest of the team? Just a thought.

rgds Jim
Jim,

Personally, I would have no problem sharing the "Checklist" with the auditee. During the opening meeting this can be done.

Having the rest of the "Team" going for Audit Training, I assume you mean the "Steering Committee"? My ex-boss must think like that because 85% of the commitee are also Internal Auditors. But, in reality, why? How big is the Team? Senior Management would not sit still for suggesting that they go through Internal Auditing Training. After all, that's what we are hired to do in concert with our regular jobs. Why not send all employees to training for OSHA Compliance? Or, Financial Planning? There's work to be done by these people that means more to the Company than, and here's where you get to throw your shot,
non-relevant to their positions tasks.:p :ko: :smokin:

barb butrym

Quite Involved in Discussions
I see a different side of that coin.

Sending people responsible for an element/process to internal auditor training has many "percs'...even if they NEVER do another audit.

1) a good understanding of the "intrusion" and what it can do for the auditee. promotes buy in

2) It can help the auditee pepare his area, look at it through an auditor's eyes. Get inside the auditor's head, if you will.... This then makes the audit more time effective in that they know where the auditor is heading with his questions and how to answer TO BEST SERVE THE SYSTEM.

3) Eliminates the "oh no, here we go again" attitude

4) Optimize the CAR responses

5) eliminates the nit picking, therefore gets better audit results

Conclusion..

Hi all, and thank's for your replys so far.

We are actually trying this now, and have evaluated the results so far as follows:

First of all, our intention was to provide the information ahead of the audit, to enable people to prepare for it. Some people (Not the ones being subjected to the audit, mind you) reacted in a negatuive way at first, saying that it was "nothing but a way to reduce the number of findings"... Which it is not, of course. To me an audit is a tool that we use to achieve improvement. If people "fix" things before the audit: Good. That's what we wanted in the first place, right?

There is also the matter of trust: No matter how hard we try to project a positive image, lots of people still regard audits as a kind of police activity. That hampers improvement. We think that this will make people feel that they are given a fair chance.

We are quite certain that prepared auditees will lead to better audits. We have no interest in catching people with their pants down. If they find a problem they can't fix in time for the audit, we are able to discuss it in a constructive way.

All things considered, the results are very encouraging so far.

As for the courses, I think barb summed things up very nicely. We sometimes do send peolple to audit courses for such reasons. (There are of course other ways to achieve the same results).

/Claes

Opening meeting

Jim Wade said:
----X----
Do people (not just at energy's firm, this is for everyone) really conduct 'opening meetings' for internal audits, just like the registrars?

If so, why?
----X----
No opening meeting here. Vi hand out the following information ahead of the audit instead:
  • The audit plan (Published on our intranet, and available for the entire staff. )
  • A mail to all concerned about a week before the audit.
The mail contains info about:

The type of audit
Area / process to be audited
Scope
Standards and documents concerned
Auditors
Time and date (Agreed with those concerned in advance).

This works for us. However, I cannot condemn the opening meeting as such. It may depend on company culture and the organisation. As long as the necessary information gets across...: fine.

/Claes

Re: Re: Conclusion..

Jim Wade said:
----X----
And shouldn't we measure a successful INTERNAL audit on the quantity and quality of the OFIs discovered - more findings are better than fewer findings?
----X----
Well, now... The quality of the findings: yes ( A bit hard to measure, though. But the number of findings? I dunno... Easy to measure, but that would mean that you always perform a better audit in a rats nest where they are easily found than in a top notch area/process where they are few and far between?

/Claes

E

energy

Re: Re: Re: Re: Unorthodox auditing

Jim Wade said:

I'm interested.

Do people (not just at energy's firm, this is for everyone) really conduct 'opening meetings' for internal audits, just like the registrars?

If so, why? Is it because we sent one or more of our valued employees on a conventional certificated and official "Lead Auditor" course?

Dear o dear :bonk:

rgds Jim
It's just the conventional, traditional method that Auditor training Courses insist on how it is to be done. In addition to outlining the scope of the audit, it is used to politely schedule around any conflicting schedules. Another benefit I see, for having both opening and closing meetings, is that Auditees feel like they are part of something very important. Other than their jobs. :vfunny: I've seen where the Auditee has reminded the Auditor that their inquiry may be beyond the scope of the audit as defined in the meeting. The closing meeting is a chance to applaud good behavior and say good things, as well as explaining the reasons for the findings, if any. To just schedule audits without Departmental input is counter productive to good relationships between the Auditing Team and the Auditees. I imagine that's why Auditors are trained that way. Is this something else we want to change because it is seen as "non-beneficial"? Face to face communications are always beneficial. What's seems to be the problem?:frust: :ko: :smokin:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C List of MDSAP Auditing Organizations Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
A What are the pros and cons of using an audit software for internal auditing? General Auditing Discussions 4
cscalise Suggestions for MDR Auditing tools EU Medical Device Regulations 1
J Auditing of Support Function IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
D ISO 13485, FDA 21 CFR 820 and Auditing the Accounting Department ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
S Risk based internal auditing Internal Auditing 6
Randy Remote auditing (for disaster, disease, disturbance etc...) during the Neo Coronavirus Pandemic and Social Distancing Registrars and Notified Bodies 7
K ANVISA B-GMP Auditing requirements for Contract Manufacturers Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
F AS9100D Internal auditing requirements Internal Auditing 3
R Does any here use an internal auditing tool that works on different platforms? Internal Auditing 3
W Does anyone have an API Q2 checklist for internal auditing? Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 1
G Best Practices for IT auditing - Is a session-id necessary for a complete audit trail? IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 0
I Questions to ask when auditing for Organizational Leadership and Planning for the QMS? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
C CE marking for general IVD (self-certified) & ISO 13485 QMS requirements - auditing EU Medical Device Regulations 6
blackholequasar Internal Auditing Inspiration - Getting volunteers to perform internal audits. Internal Auditing 22
W Internal Auditing carried out by a 3rd party - Review of previous audits AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
tony s What is the automotive process approach for auditing? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
S Internal Auditing for API Spec Q1 - auditor qualification requirements Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 6
R I've been auditing for a CB for 18 years General Auditing Discussions 10
P Consultant Auditing Qualifications Requirements ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 23
E Informational Internal Audits - Wear multiple hats what can and can't I audit (so I'm not auditing my own work) Internal Auditing 144
M We still have not received our certificate due to a 'backlog' with our auditing body Registrars and Notified Bodies 25
N Online Internal Auditing Course for ISO 13485 - Suggestions ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
A Agenda for 8D audit on Supplier's side - Auditing Corrective Actions General Auditing Discussions 5
U Internal auditing - Company employees or contract second party Internal Auditing 10
J Recomended Values - Auditing process in a supplier IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 18
M Canada - Registrars that allow e-auditing for ISO 9001? Registrars and Notified Bodies 4
K Internal Auditing - Umbrella QMS and Multiple Standards Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 4
D Auditing Our Outsourced 2nd-3rd Party Internal Audit Company ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
supadrai Auditing Organization dragging their heels on issuing our MDSAP Surveillance Audit Confirmation Letter - everyone is nervous ... are we the only ones? Canada Medical Device Regulations 7
Ed Panek Supplier Auditing - No purchases from our key suppliers in the last 24 months ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
P Auditing "process validation" process 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
qualprod Effective Auditing advice needed ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 16
M Acceptance of remote auditing techniques - Can you help me with my research? General Auditing Discussions 0
GStough Auditing Against Criteria Unfamiliar to Auditee - Yea or Nay? General Auditing Discussions 11
qualprod Auditing Product and Services doubts ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
R Auditing support and management processes General Auditing Discussions 7
F It is acceptable moving remote locations staff to manufacturing plant for auditing? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
D MSDS / GHS Walk-through / Auditing Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 6
Pmarszal Supplier Auditing Services (Audit Needed?) General Auditing Discussions 4
S ISO 9001 Audit Observations - Transitioning my career into auditing Career and Occupation Discussions 16
G AS9101 Rev F - Worksheets for internal auditing AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 11
N API Q2 clause 6.2.2.1 Auditing Outsourced Suppliers Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 5
M Auditing processes followed by employees placed on client's site Internal Auditing 4
S ISO 13485:2016 and MDSAP internal auditing ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
M Auditing a Contractor in EMS and Non Conformity Report General Auditing Discussions 1
Richard Regalado ISMS Auditing Guideline V2 (based from ISO/IEC 27001:2013) IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 7
S ISO 9001:2015 - Internal Auditing - Audit to the Standard? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
B Auditing Senior Management to determine the Effectiveness of Management Processes IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
R Internal Auditor auditing Internal Audit Procedure (AS9100) Internal Auditing 18