Unusual ('Weird') Standards -'Bouncers' get their own standard

A

Andy Bassett

Just when you thought you'd seen and heard it all, it seems like the UK have come out with a standard for nightclub bouncers.

You dont believe me?

Read this!
http://www.bsi.org.uk - Link was: /bsi/corporate/news/press/standards/highp/bouncers.xhtml
--------------

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
J

Jim Evans

Wouldn't you just love to see the professional exam they have to take? I have to admit I have never had any "up close and personal" dealings with any bar-bouncer, and I don't frequent the club scene now. However from the knuckle-dragging Neanderthals I remember from my college days (30 years ago)putting their shoes on the correct foot would be about all they could handle.

Jim

Randy

Super Moderator
Thanks for the endorsement.

I used to do that line of work part-time when I was a cop in Arkansas. I carried a 4.0 in college, belong to MENSA and am working on my Doctorate in Business.

Putting on shoes was the easy part. Knowing when to run was different (that partially explains my pretty face).

S
Top class discussion made me laugh a lot. I haven't checked the seriousness in the link but customer service concept is no doubt there. I'm just laughing to myself about agreeing the best way to eject someone..politely!!

:) skyc

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
Unusual (Weird) Standards

As I was wandering around through the maze of threads here I came across this one. The link was broken so I did a Google Search. I found Bouncers need national standards
Bouncers need national standards, forum told

By Katherine Danks
April 16, 2004

A bouncer who watched a young woman being beaten by her boyfriend outside a pub he was guarding refused to intervene, telling horrified onlookers "she probably deserved it".

The case was highlighted yesterday as community groups, police and industry representatives gathered at a forum on bouncer behaviour. They called for a national standard to ensure safe practices in the industry.

The Youth Action and Policy Association said the case was one of many reports it had received about discrimination or violence from security staff.

"There is the perception that security don't treat them (young people) with respect or hear their side of the story," Kristy Delany, the association's chief executive, told the forum.

The forum, hosted by Standards Australia, came three months after former Australian Test cricketer David Hookes died in hospital from head injuries after he was allegedly bashed in a scuffle with a security guard outside a Melbourne hotel.

The Liquor, Hospitality and Miscellaneous Workers Union called for stronger industry regulation in its submission.

The union's assistant national secretary, Jo-anne Schofield, said employers increasingly looked to security staff to deal with problems as they happened, rather than enforce preventive measures, such as responsible service of alcohol.

"We don't want an industry standard where the workers are scapegoated and blamed for poor industry outcomes over which they had no control," Ms Schofield told the forum.

She said individual workers often were blamed for an industry with low-entry requirements based on minimal training and minimal regulation. A solid industry standard would include employer responsibility, responsible service of alcohol, enforcement, adequate staffing and training, she said.

The Australian Hoteliers Association called for a national approach to licensing, with industry training to focus more on verbal skills and customer service.
Have any of you seen any other 'weird' standards or calls for a standard?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
L Unusual requests from some auditees? bosses Internal Auditing 8
Ron Rompen Unusual problem with Excel - Need some help Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 7
J Capability Analysis - Unusual Statistical Distribution of my Proccess Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 5
S Have you seen and What is an Unusual Controlled Document Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 6
Ron Rompen Shiftwork Scheduling - An unusual problem - Need help please Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 13
Chennaiite "Unusual Situation" in Gemba? Just Food for thought Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 0
Ron Rompen Unusual GD&T Callout similar to the MMC or LMC symbol Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
D Nissan asks about an Unusual Situations procedure IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
B Service and maintenance company - I have an unusual exclusion to talk about in 7.4 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 23
P QMS Process Map - Comments on my unusual QMS process map Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 5
M Part Time Quality - Am I the only one? Is Part Time Quality unusual? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
T ISO 13485 and CE weird budget (Quotes) Registrars and Notified Bodies 5
C Conclusions from weird GR&R (Gage R&R) Results - 9 of 12 points have NDC of 1 Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
smryan Weird MSWord issue on Work Instruction - Table issues After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 10
S Excel spreadsheet shows weird CPK outcome Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 10
Y Is it weird for my conducted immunity (4-6) test result? Need help. CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
M Weird Hunting Methods Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 8
S QMS Implementation - Weird Situation - Need Suggstions Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 2
S API Spec.Q1 Standards Version in Purchasing Information Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 1
B Exclusions or justification for non-applicability of IEC standards Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 1
P Citing EN standards Other Medical Device Related Standards 6
Ed Panek Compliance with Standards? When a standard is updated/revised CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
N Harmonized Standards for MDR Certification EU Medical Device Regulations 7
A Some questions about voluntary consensus standards in traditional 510(k) submission US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 6
D Imaging/Image Quality Standards Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
R ECG Risk Analysis Standards ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 2
I Management review in conformity assessment standards - Certification Bodies Management Review Meetings and related Processes 6
Govind Informational ISO COVID-19 response: freely available ISO standards Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
C Does a CE mark infer meeting all applicable standards? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
T Assessing Hazard-Related Use Scenarios where control measures exist through standards IEC 62366 - Medical Device Usability Engineering 32
Richard Regalado Informational ISO makes available relevant BCMS standards free for online access Business Continuity & Resiliency Planning (BCRP) 5
A Technical File - Updating Applied Standards EU Medical Device Regulations 4
A NB (Notified Body) Audit of Standards ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
R Applicability of new non-harmonized standards (MDD/MDR) EU Medical Device Regulations 8
dgrainger Informational EU published new Harmonised Standards List for the Directives (25/3/2020) Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
P Static Electricity/Pacemaker - Standards for static electricity generation CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
M Referencing Harmonised Standards in Declarations of Conformity EU Medical Device Regulations 4
Pmarszal External Standards and Regulations Management Process Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 10
S IVF medical devices standards and test methods Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 4
M What are the standards for malls management? ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 1
A Complaint alert levels - Industry standards pertaining to alert levels for complaints Customer Complaints 5
R MDR standards - which standards to comply with ? EU Medical Device Regulations 3
D Why does Official Journal list superseded standards? EU Medical Device Regulations 6
M MDR "Common Specifications" (CS) - If not standards, then what? EU Medical Device Regulations 5
L In house calibration - Our CMM's are outside certified can I use them to certify our standards General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
F AS9100D, raw material standards are a requirement for manufacturing? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
S Industry Labelling Standards - non medical Manufacturing and Related Processes 0
J Medical device related standards or regulations - Disposed records log ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
S How many mandays required for the below mentioned standards IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 3
M Standards Subscription Service and Standards Tracking Service Pros and Cons? Other US Medical Device Regulations 3