SBS - The best value in QMS software

Upcoming FDA ISO 13485 audit guidance (draft version)

D

Dustyn Webb

Some very good news for American ISO 13485-certified medical device manufacturers...

Mr. Timothy Ulatowski, the Director of the Office of Compliance for CDRH, has indicated that there will be an upcoming draft guidance for public comment (probably released in August) concerning his FDA division's usage of medical device companies' voluntary submissions of their ISO 13485 audits, allowing his division to deschedule those companies who have submitted satisfactory QMS audits by their Notified Bodies, and focus CDRH resources on auditing non-ISO certified medical device companies. In a phone conversation, Mr. Ulatowski indicated that a final guidance could possibly be released by the end of this year, also stating that CDRH resource management was a key driver of this initiative.

See the attached FDANEWS (July 11, 2008) release concerning this development.

Last edited by a moderator:
Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Wes Bucey

Quite Involved in Discussions
Re: upcoming FDA ISO audit guidance

That will definitely be good news for medical device manufacturers who have spent the time and effort to become registered to ISO 13485.

In point of fact, many different governments have similar policies for their regulators vis a vis registration to ISO 13485. Some governments even make registration to ISO 13485 a prerequisite for medical device manufacturers to sell their products in that country. Further, some of those governments even have lists of "acceptable registrars."

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

M

MIREGMGR

Actually he said this on July 11, I think...and supposedly the new Guidance was going to be released that month, i.e. it's late.

I've been checking fda.gov daily for the past two weeks.

howste

Thaumaturge
Super Moderator

Actually he said this on July 11, I think...and supposedly the new Guidance was going to be released that month, i.e. it's late.

Be sure to let us know when it's available. Thanks!

D

Dustyn Webb

Thanks for the date correction. I transposed the second 1 in eleven to the 7 in seventeen. Might be a sign of dyslexia or Alzeimers. I also have been searching the FDA website for 2-3 weeks, and finally gave up to call the Office of Compliance Director to get an idea of when they were going to release the draft of this new CDRH direction. Thought of posting here and alerting others to an upcoming positive development today.

Ajit Basrur

Staff member
Admin
Thanks for the information, MIREMGR and Dusyn. Pl comeback when you have more information as it will be very useful to all, in US and elsewhere too.

G

Gert Sorensen

It is going to be very interesting to see if this will also apply to those of us located outside of the U.S. :confused:

D

Dustyn Webb

My guess (and only a guess) is that it will apply to foreign medical device manufacturers, if their current satisfactory audits have been done by a notified body recognized by the FDA. We should know more soon, when the draft for public comment is released in the next month (quote from the Director of the CDRH Office of Compliance).

A

Aaron Lupo

Correct me if I am wrong but hasn’t he FDA had a program in place called the Accredited Persons for quite some time now, I think it has been in place for over five years now. If you go to the FDA website, you will be able to find information on this. The information you posted is from the FDANEWS.Com site, which is not the same as FDA.GOV.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Ignoring a Failed Gage R&R and upcoming external audit IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 22
John Broomfield Informational Upcoming vote on the kilogram - November 2018 General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
Marc 9 September 2018 - Upcoming User Group Changes Forum News and General Information 1
K No Internal Audits For Upcoming IATF Trans Audit IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
Brizilla Knowledge of the upcoming ISO 17025 Revision ISO 17025 related Discussions 5
S Pre-release version of the upcoming AIAG FMEA Revision 5 FMEA and Control Plans 1
Marc Upcoming MacOS - Sierra - 2016 After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 0
E Upcoming changes for ISO 10993 and IEC 60601 in South Korea Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2
O Upcoming IEC/ISO standard on "Distributed alarm systems" (80001-2-5) Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 6
Sidney Vianna ISO 17023 - Upcoming Standard for Determining Audit Time by CB's Registrars and Notified Bodies 1
Q Upcoming ISO13485 Audit from the parent NB (Notified Body) Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 14
G Need help in an upcoming ISO 13485 Audit ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
T Current and upcoming events (coffee break topic) Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 4
S Outdated Document Control Procedure & Upcoming Audit Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
BradM NCSLI this upcoming week! Who will be there? July 2010 General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 11
Miner Upcoming article - Within-part variation when performing an R&R Imported Legacy Blogs 6
Q Upcoming FAA Audit - What to expect (subtier for a Repair station)? Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 5
J Advice for Upcoming Audit ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
Hershal NCSLI this upcoming week! Who will be there?-2009 General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
RoxaneB How to Handle Emotional Bias during Upcoming Audit? Internal Auditing 12
G "Inspection Culture " to "Quality Assurance Culture" - Upcoming Job Interview Career and Occupation Discussions 15
B Upcoming Changes to RABQSA Lead Auditor Certifications Professional Certifications and Degrees 3
K Employee Training For Upcoming ISO 9001 Audit ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
G Need Advise on upcoming ISO 9001:2000 Surveillance ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
CarolX Upcoming Article in "Quality" on gage management General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
C Need Direction on Process Flowchart for our upcoming ISO 9001:2001 audit ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 19
A Calculator for ASQ Exams - I can't use my TI-86 calculator for upcoming ASQ exams! Professional Certifications and Degrees 3
N What will change in the upcoming update of ISO 14001? ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 5
C Non-sterile reusable surgical instruments - FDA sterilization requirement Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
D FDA Information - Revising the Instructions for Use US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
S Transitional Adolescent A and B - "CDRH PREMARKET REVIEW SUBMISSION COVER SHEET FORM FDA 3514" Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
B FDA requirement for CAPA Signoff ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
P MSDS for MVQ FDA White, Vinyl Methyl Silicone Rubber EU Medical Device Regulations 4
S Manufacturing Process FDA FOIA Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 3
S Manufacturing Process FDA FOIA US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 4
S Mechanical Test Under FDA Freedom of Information Act Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 5
A Medical Device Contract Manufacturer - Does the CM need to register with FDA? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
M Supplier requirements - Major supplier is a Non-Profit registered with ICCBBA (FDA UDI) Supply Chain Security Management Systems 12
C RA (Regulatory Assurance) Training (FDA) looking for resources Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 5
E FDA 513(g) Cover Letter US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 5
S Records - Do's and don't' of record entries (FDA - 21 CFR 820) Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 13
B New Facility register with FDA Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 4
K 510k FDA review, will they accept Biocompatibility result generated using feasibility product lots? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 8
J FDA regulation on decorative contact lenses Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 5
P Anyone have an Idea on UAE Medical device registeration- Class B with FDA only Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
F FDA classification for a mobile app Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 3
Ed Panek IFU Contact Requirements - FDA and MDD/MDR US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
O Any info on release date of FDA “Computer Software Assurance for Manufacturing and Quality System Software” document? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 0
P Writing a presubmission to the FDA prior to the De novo submission US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 4
K FDA - Can we have more than 1 Initial Importer Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 4