Update: State of mind during the job hunt (Good habits vs. bad habits)

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
This morning, I was a featured speaker at a group of out-of-work middle managers who meet at the local YMCA to exchange leads and listen to speakers like me give tips on successful job hunting.
Which YMCA is this? There might be some locals who would like to attend these get-togethers.

K

kgott

Without reading a great number of the replies to this thread I think I can contribute something here:

I have been in the job hunt position several times in the past. I too have been out of works for stretches measured in double digit months. Would love to think I won't visit that place again but .. shudder, shudder.

Having said that I would suggest that if your in that position that you:

read the advice in all these posts.

subscribe to "BNet." This site has many excellant articles on job seeking, surviving in the work place, resume development, resume hints and tips and many other good workplace articles. This helps to get your spirits up again to liver another day.

Apply what you do at work to getting work, I.e start a lessons learnt file and enter every thing you learnt from an interview into it within two days. Don't necessarily do it as soon as you get home as there's an increased likelyhood that you'll enter self depreciating things into it which will only pull you down when you read it again.

Read your lessons learnt once a week and before going to an interview.

Work up a list of interview questions you may be asked and develop an answer to each one. Write them down and memorise them.

When you get back in your car or home from an interview immediatley write down the questions you were asked and answered well and why you answered them well and do the same for those you didint answer well or wer'nt asked before.

interviews are not entirly about answering questions, they are opportunites to sprout your skills and expereinces. Telling a little retorical story helps convey expereince, knowledge and skill.

DO NOT and I repeat, DO NOT crucify yourself for being out of work or making mistakes in an interview. I have made them all and I'm likely to make new ones in the future but thats just me.

I know the world closes in on you when your out of work but learning something new about getting a job helps you recover your mental confidence and gives you hope.

hope this helps

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
This morning, I was a featured speaker at a group of out-of-work middle managers who meet at the local YMCA to exchange leads and listen to speakers like me give tips on successful job hunting.

Which YMCA is this? There might be some locals who would like to attend these get-togethers.

This must have been overlooked. It would be good if you could post some details about these meetings--it sounds like a good resource for job hunters.

Top Bottom