Updated MSA with the Annual PPAP validations

Hello Forum,

My customer requested new MSA studies every year to be included with the annual submissions. Reviewing the PPAP and the MSA AIAG 4th Edition books and the ISO/IATF standard, I have not seen this requirement and also our customer's customer specific manual doesn't include this requirement as well. Based on the precise components that we manufacture and the gauges that are used, a Gauge R&R study can take from 2 to 3 weeks.

Could you please let me know if our customer request is valid?

Thank you

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

John C. Abnet

Teacher, sensei, kennari
Hello Forum,

My customer requested new MSA studies every year to be included with the annual submissions. Reviewing the PPAP and the MSA AIAG 4th Edition books and the ISO/IATF standard, I have not seen this requirement and also our customer's customer specific manual doesn't include this requirement as well. Based on the precise components that we manufacture and the gauges that are used, a Gauge R&R study can take from 2 to 3 weeks.

Could you please let me know if our customer request is valid?

Thank you
Not a requirement. Some companies charge for such things. I would recommend your
group gets involved and raises with their contact.
Hope this helps.
Be well

optomist1

A Sea of Statistics
Trusted Information Resource
Agree w/John...usually a new MSA would be required is the process was significantly changed...inspection sequence/methods...your customer may be referring to Annual Part Layouts...at least in the auto arena...a +10 pieces full dimensional/inspection to help insure stable process...at least dimensionally

Howard Atkins

Forum Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Is there any specific reason why they are requesting that study ? Did you change something in your processes?
Usually this is from someone who thinks he is "clever" or an auditor said something that he did not understand
The customer though can request what he wants you can choose whether you want him as a customer.

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
Thanks for the feedbak @Kostas M ;

FYI....specifically I meant to state "I recommend your COMMERCIAL (i.e. sales) group...."

Best of luck.
In my experience, it's always best to avoid sales people when technical issues are being discussed. If you go through Sales, you will typically get an ignorant sales person communicating with an ignorant buyer, and the result will be fear, loathing and confusion. Let the supplier's quality people talk to the customer's quality people.

No we haven't changed anything in our process. Our customer's customer requested annual MSA studies. I worked with our sales group and we already told our customer that we can perform the MSA studies at cost.
Thank you all for your assistance in this topic

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R Do we need issue ECN (Engineering Change Notice) towards updated Material Specification? Design and Development of Products and Processes 2
Ed Panek Compliance with Standards? When a standard is updated/revised CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
R Shall a new UDI-DI be required when stand-alone software device's version is updated? EU Medical Device Regulations 1
P Cenelec updated standard information CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
W Updated EU MDR regulatory matrix wanted ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 43
dgrainger Informational MHRA updated guidance: Clinical investigations of medical devices – guidance for manufacturers Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational Updated US FDA Resources for Third Party Review Organizations Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational MHRA guidance updated to reflect the mDR – Clinical investigations of medical devices – Biological safety assessment Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
dgrainger Informational Updated Borderlines manual - Version 1.22 (05-2019) EU Medical Device Regulations 0
M Which documents must be updated upon product validation? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
M Informational MHRA – Virtual manufacturing of medical devices – Updated guidance Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
M Keeping up with "State-of-the-Art" & updated Standards EU Medical Device Regulations 11
marmotte Malaysia - Auditor Requires an Updated Audit Report Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 5
N I updated my Job Description - Critiques Appreciated Career and Occupation Discussions 22
Marc The IAQG OPMT has posted an updated Resolutions Log AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
A Process Changes, but Work Instructions/Process Maps are not updated ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 16
P Document references need to be updated to correspond to the current year? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
T Notification of affected parties of Updated Documented Procedures ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
M Australian Meddev Regulations Updated 5 Nov 2014 Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
B Safety & EMC certificate updated when MCU (MIcro-Controller) is changed? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
R EU updated borderline manual - version 1.16 EU Medical Device Regulations 2
R CFDA updated five regulations to be effective from October 1, 2014 China Medical Device Regulations 16
D Effective Date of updated SOP Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
E Korean GMP Guideline updated to Second Revision - April 2014 Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
Sam Lazzara MDD Harmonised Standards (MDD 93/42) not updated since January 2013 EU Medical Device Regulations 4
S FDA releases Updated Laser Products Regulation Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
N IEC 60601-1 , 3rd edition and the FDA - Special 510k to my updated Medical Device ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 40
C Key Links (Library) to search for updated Clinical Data (Is & IIa) EU Medical Device Regulations 1
Sam Lazzara Updated Europe Harmonised Standards Lists (2012-08-30) EU Medical Device Regulations 3
S Updated FDA's List of Recognised Standards - August 2012 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
V Updated Clean Room Classification Table of ISO 14644 Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 2
P Do You HULU 2? new thread (or updated) After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 13
H Best place to keep myself updated on EU Regulatory Changes EU Medical Device Regulations 7
D Tracking Updated Standards (EN/IEC...) including Ammendments EU Medical Device Regulations 2
C Keeping Employees Updated on Newly Revised Procedures Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 15
T When will ISO 13485 be updated? Will it be harmonized with ISO 9001? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
Sam Lazzara Updated list of MDD harmonised standards (June 14, 2010) EU Medical Device Regulations 4
N Marketing Material with Pictures that were Updated ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
J ISO9001 and Corporate Governance - ISO 37000 being developed to guide standardized Corporate Governance (updated thread March 2019) Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 12
bio_subbu US FDA's updated Consensus Standards List - 18th March 2009 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 0
J Draft Guidance: eMDR - Electronic Medical Device Reporting (Updated) US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
SteveK Technical File Review to updated MDD 93/42/EC (Class II medical devices) EU Medical Device Regulations 3
J Concessions - Raising a concession untill the BOM (Bill of Materials) is updated Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 1
M Quality Manual Content - Extended debate - Updated Quality Manual for ISO 9001:2008 Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 177
T Updated MDD "Single Use" definition ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
L List of updated ISO Standards attached - September 2008 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 0
M PPAP Review Updated yearly but not send to Customer - Is it Right? APQP and PPAP 12
Wes Bucey New warning with updated firefox? After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 9
J EU Vigilance (updated MEDDEV rev.5) - Internal Forms EU Medical Device Regulations 12
F Updated Gage R&R Excel Forms Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 7