Updating Certificate of Foreign Government (CFG's)

M

markvm68

I work for a company that has close ot 20,000 different catalog numbers that we list on our Certificate of Foreign Government (CFG). In the next year we are going to be coming out with multiple new products that we will need to add to our CFG. As part of our registration process, we have about 40 countries/customers that require us to send a new CFG everytime it changes. With the current launch schedule we will need to get a new CFG every three to six months.

Does anybody know of any ways around this?

Any input is appreciated.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
M

MIREGMGR

Re: Updateing Certificate of Foreign Government (CFG's)

As of the publication of the current guidance (http://www.fda.gov/RegulatoryInformation/Guidances/ucm125789.htm) earlier this year, the contact for medical device inquiries was Leila Lawrence at 240-276-0132. I'd think she'd be a good starting point for what seems to me to be a valid guidance question.

Alternately, you could ask DSMICA. I'd think that they'd bounce you back to CDRH, though, since it's pretty obviously a boundary question.

M

markvm68

Still waiting to hear from the FDA. Left a message and sent an e-mail.

Qara123

Involved In Discussions
I recently had to add several countries to my CFG and all I had to do was notify CDRH Export Certificates [[email protected]] of the additional countries.
Since there was no "visible change" on the CFG (countries are not listed on the nice green cert), there was no need for me to re-apply.

Even more recently, I had to add a few products to my CFG. Since the products are listed on the nice green cert, I had to re-apply for a new one so that the products gets listed on the CFG.

Not an answer but I hope it clears some of the fog.

Q

M

MIREGMGR

Just as with the 510(k) process and concept, the CTFG process and concept are inadequate for the needs of large organizations.

My organization, for instance, develops or otherwise adds a rough average of one new product a day. Fortunately for us, most of our products are not run through the CTFG process, since they're disposable or limited-life accessories for use with $$$ diagnostic imaging systems. As such, they are sold to or through large organizations that focus on the big sales and traditionally ignore such niceties as second- and third-tier national regulatory differences for little stuff like disposables.

If we had to use the existing CTFG process for our product change pace, we would be unable to keep up with customer expectations for development turnaround. We have one large customer that chose to impose the CTFG process on their worldwide activity this year. They're still waiting for us to complete the acquisition of sixteen certificates. In the meantime, the certificates in process have become obsolete in terms of listed products.

We need global harmonization...not among the key first-tier systems in regard to quality systems, but rather especially at the third tier and in regard to commerce-regulatory rules. Consularization, apostillization, notarization, etc., need to go away for products that are certfied conformant at the first tier level.

M

markvm68

After talking with the FDA, it appears that there is no good way around having to update your CTFG everytime you come out with a new product. They did say that one Company could have multiple CFG's. At this point, I think I'm going to propose we have two CTFG's. Our existing CFG which lists our current products and expires in a year, and a new CFG for the new products. When our existing CFG expires, I'll combine them into one.

R

red_wood

I have a fundamental question on CFG hoping to get some advice.

What are the requirements that the device need to fulfill in order to get CFG (e.g. manufacturing site is located in US, etc)? Is it true the manufacturing facility need to be audited by FDA within the last 2 years?

Thanks in advance!

M

MIREGMGR

What are the requirements that the device need to fulfill in order to get CFG (e.g. manufacturing site is located in US, etc)?
The device and its marketer (the company obtaining the CTFG) must be subject to FDA regulation, and fully compliant and current in regard to that regulation.

Is it true the manufacturing facility need to be audited by FDA within the last 2 years?
No.

R

red_wood

Thanks a lot, MIREGMGR.

FDA regulation - does it refer to 21 CFR Part 820 (QSR)?
Is it right that as long as the applicant's company meets QSR and manufacturing site resides in US, they can apply for CTFG for any medical device?

Are there any guidance documents on CTFG application available?

Thanks!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
G Updating MDD devices after MDR transitional period EU Medical Device Regulations 0
G Updating FMEAs after Design Updates FMEA and Control Plans 4
T Help with updating procedures ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 18
A Updating Technical Documentation regularly => Leaner Release Advice EU Medical Device Regulations 2
T Re-PPAP after updating CMM program? Manufacturing and Related Processes 9
B Timeframe for updating QMS / transitioning from ISO 14971:2012 to ISO 14971:2019 ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 10
H Updating Quality Manual to API Q1 Service Industry Specific Topics 6
Z Minitab - Updating Graph with specific data points Using Minitab Software 2
N Updating the website of the manufacturer EU Medical Device Regulations 1
Al Rosen Technical File - Updating Applied Standards EU Medical Device Regulations 4
A What ISO 9001:2015 clause could be used to write nonconformance for not updating licensed driver list? General Auditing Discussions 8
N Updating QM to 13485:2016 - We do not make medical devices ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
B Site Move - Question about Updating Product Labels 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
O Updating "opportunities" resulting from Corrective Actions Nonconformance and Corrective Action 2
N Updating class I device IFU with instructions to use class II cleared device 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
V Periodic review criteria for reviewing/updating SOPs US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
T Design Changes - Updating the Design and Development File EU Medical Device Regulations 5
L Clinical Evaluation Report Updating Procedure Other Medical Device Related Standards 5
A Changing a Form Template & Updating Records ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
M AS9100D - Updating Scope Exclusions AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 9
E Updating DHF (Design History File) to include Alternative Component 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
W ISO9001:2015 - Clause 7.5.2 - Requirements for Creating & Updating Documents ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
Q Actions Taken - Updating a FMEA for the addition of a downstream poke yoke FMEA and Control Plans 3
I NCR for Customer not updating their drawings AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 14
P Updating a Medical Device's Intended Use Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
N Updating Job Titles - Does This Mean There Needs to Be a rev change? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
shimonv Updating Safety Test Report when changing component supplier IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
K Updating Outdated Calibration Procedures Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
J Is the SFDA in China in the process of updating their Medical Device Regulations ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
T Design & Development in Updating Machines and Equipment - ISO 9001 Help Design and Development of Products and Processes 4
F Updating a Quality Manual from ISO 9001 to ISO TS 16949 - Process Mapping IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
B Requirement for Updating Medical Device Software (Firmware) in the Field 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 11
S IPC 620 updating from Class 1 to Class 3 Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 6
C Updating (Revising) Documents with a New Logo Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
O Sum of Cpk - Updating Product Tolerances Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 6
M Updating a Quality Manual from ISO 9001:2000 to ISO 9001:2008 Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 57
B Updating from ISO 9001:2000 to ISO 9001:2008 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
R Standard Relevance & Updating - ASME B&PVC Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 4
T Updating to ISO 9001:2008 - I need to add section 7.3 Design and Development ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 28
J Declaration of Conformity - Updating the DofC to MMD 2007/47/EC EU Medical Device Regulations 4
C Updating our Laboratory Calibration / Verification Procedures IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
J ISO/AS Surveillance Audit - Minor for not updating my QA Manual to ISO 9001:2008 Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 95
V Updating Quality Manual - Adding the word Statutory in front of laws and regulations Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 3
ScottK How is this for extremes in updating to the ISO9001:2008 rev ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
I Updating Lead Auditor Certifications to ISO 9001:2008 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
A FDA - Registration & Listing Updating + when Purchasing another Company 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 8
K Updating Procedures because they are bland and wordy Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 12
C Updating the IPC1752 info RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 3
W Standards Updating Service? Current Revision Level of Standards Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 11
J Updating a PFMEA (Process FMEA) after a Process Failure FMEA and Control Plans 3