Updating Flow Diagrams - Internal Critical Characteristic Identified

D
I am looking for something stated in QS pertaining to updating flow diagrams, and I'm not finding anything as far as:
Do we need to update flow diagrams when we determine an internal critical characteristic on a certain operation. Currently, we have a process where we have deemed a certain operation as critical. We have designated it as critical on the fmea, control plan, work instructions but not on the flow diagram. When I asked the QA Engineer why, she stated she never updates the flow diagram for these types of changes. I searched the PPAP manual, and QS book, but found nothing. Any help?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
B

Brian Dowsett

Dawn,
My 0.5 Euros worth is that process flow diagrams must by definition show every step of the process. It's by cross referencing from the control plan to a numbered step that we identify that step as critical. I've never seen anything in QS to suggest that process flow diagrams themselves need to show which steps are critical. Even the process flow checklist in APQP manual appendix does not mention highlighting critical steps.

Cheers

brian

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
If you use GM's format, each characteristic in the flow diagram is on the control plan so if you ad a characteristic to the CP you have to add it to the associated process on the flow diagra. However, different companies use different formats so some flow diagrams may not have that detail. See the APQP pdf file in the pdf_files directory.

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
How do you access the APQP pdf file? I can't seem to locate the link?
You're responding to a seven-year-old post, so I can't be sure what Marc was referring to, but go up to the top of the of the page and click on More Free Files, and then APQP Information in the second column. That's probably it. You can also search post attachments by clicking on Post Attachments List at the top of the page.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
N Updating the website of the manufacturer EU Medical Device Regulations 1
A Technical File - Updating Applied Standards EU Medical Device Regulations 4
A What ISO 9001:2015 clause could be used to write nonconformance for not updating licensed driver list? General Auditing Discussions 8
N Updating QM to 13485:2016 - We do not make medical devices ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
B Site Move - Question about Updating Product Labels 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
O Updating "opportunities" resulting from Corrective Actions Nonconformance and Corrective Action 2
N Updating class I device IFU with instructions to use class II cleared device 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
V Periodic review criteria for reviewing/updating SOPs US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
T Design Changes - Updating the Design and Development File EU Medical Device Regulations 5
L Clinical Evaluation Report Updating Procedure Other Medical Device Related Standards 5
A Changing a Form Template & Updating Records ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
M AS9100D - Updating Scope Exclusions AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 9
E Updating DHF (Design History File) to include Alternative Component 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
W ISO9001:2015 - Clause 7.5.2 - Requirements for Creating & Updating Documents ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
Q Actions Taken - Updating a FMEA for the addition of a downstream poke yoke FMEA and Control Plans 3
I NCR for Customer not updating their drawings AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 14
P Updating a Medical Device's Intended Use Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
N Updating Job Titles - Does This Mean There Needs to Be a rev change? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
shimonv Updating Safety Test Report when changing component supplier IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
K Updating Outdated Calibration Procedures Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
J Is the SFDA in China in the process of updating their Medical Device Regulations ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
T Design & Development in Updating Machines and Equipment - ISO 9001 Help Design and Development of Products and Processes 4
F Updating a Quality Manual from ISO 9001 to ISO TS 16949 - Process Mapping IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
B Requirement for Updating Medical Device Software (Firmware) in the Field 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 11
S IPC 620 updating from Class 1 to Class 3 Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 6
C Updating (Revising) Documents with a New Logo Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
O Sum of Cpk - Updating Product Tolerances Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 6
M Updating a Quality Manual from ISO 9001:2000 to ISO 9001:2008 Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 57
B Updating from ISO 9001:2000 to ISO 9001:2008 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
R Standard Relevance & Updating - ASME B&PVC Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 4
T Updating to ISO 9001:2008 - I need to add section 7.3 Design and Development ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 28
J Declaration of Conformity - Updating the DofC to MMD 2007/47/EC EU Medical Device Regulations 4
C Updating our Laboratory Calibration / Verification Procedures IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
J ISO/AS Surveillance Audit - Minor for not updating my QA Manual to ISO 9001:2008 Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 95
V Updating Quality Manual - Adding the word Statutory in front of laws and regulations Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 3
M Updating Certificate of Foreign Government (CFG's) Other US Medical Device Regulations 18
ScottK How is this for extremes in updating to the ISO9001:2008 rev ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
I Updating Lead Auditor Certifications to ISO 9001:2008 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
A FDA - Registration & Listing Updating + when Purchasing another Company 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 8
K Updating Procedures because they are bland and wordy Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 12
C Updating the IPC1752 info RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 3
W Standards Updating Service? Current Revision Level of Standards Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 11
J Updating a PFMEA (Process FMEA) after a Process Failure FMEA and Control Plans 3
S Requirements for Updating a Medical Device Technical File EU Medical Device Regulations 11
D Updating Training Procedures when other documents change - Over Kill? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 14
C ISO 13485 Gap Analysis Checklist - Updating ISO 13485 from the 1996 standard to 2003 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
B Tips on updating our Quality Systems Manual from ISO 9001:1994 to ISO 9001:2000 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
B FAR/Prime Contractor Flow-down Tool - AS9100 AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 3
D Calibration Process Flow Map Example Wanted General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
G New CAPA Work Flow with Revised 8D Approach Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 35