Updating to ISO 9001:2008 - I need to add section 7.3 Design and Development

T

TBDQM

Good Day fellow Forumers....

I am in a bit of what I call a pickle.... I have recently been hired on as a quality manager for an optical design and manufacturing company. This company designs and manufactures optical systems for a variety of different industries. They have not had a quality manager for over 12 months, and I was just informed that our surveillance audit is scheduled for December 15th. Prior to this audit, I need to add section 7.3 Design and Development, both policy and procedures to our certification. On top of this I recently found out that the ISO has changed to 2008. From what I have found, the changes are primarily clarifications. I am looking to see if anyone has a simplistic check sheet of what changes need to be made to a quality manual to meet 2008 requirements, this way I can focus more of my time on creating section 7.3, doing internal audits, and trying to have a management review meeting all in about two weeks. Any guidance on this topic will be much appreciated, as this is my first Quality position and I would like to keep it :), I have always been a Production Manager in the past. Thanks in advance to those that help!

Last edited by a moderator:
Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
Re: Updating to ISO 9001:2008

I am in a bit of what I call a pickle.... I have recently been hired on as a quality manager for an optical design and manufacturing company. This company designs and manufactures optical systems for a variety of different industries. They have not had a quality manager for over 12 months, and I was just informed that our surveillance audit is scheduled for December 15th. Prior to this audit, I need to add section 7.3 Design and Development, both policy and procedures to our certification. On top of this I recently found out that the ISO has changed to 2008. From what I have found, the changes are primarily clarifications. I am looking to see if anyone has a simplistic check sheet of what changes need to be made to a quality manual to meet 2008 requirements, this way I can focus more of my time on creating section 7.3, doing internal audits, and trying to have a management review meeting all in about two weeks. Any guidance on this topic will be much appreciated, as this is my first Quality position and I would like to keep it :), I have always been a Production Manager in the past. Thanks in advance to those that help!
Welcome to the Cove :bigwave:

What might need to be changed in a QM to account for the 2008 changes depends on the contents of the manual. If its writer was smart, she made no reference to the standard at all, or if she did, she didn't refer to the revision level. On the other hand, if there are references to ISO 9001-2000 you'll need to either eliminate them (my preference) or change them to ISO 9001-2008. If the manual was otherwise compliant with the 2000 version, it will still be compliant with the 2008 version, because there were no substantive changes.

D

DrM2u

Indeed, the changes to the 2008 edition are minor, mostly clarifications and wording changes. I do not know what your quality manual looks like, but in general there should not be a need to change it. However, you have indicated that now the requirements of clause 7.3 are applicable. In that case you have to update the scope of the manual not to exclude 7.3 anymore. You will also need to update your definition/description of how the processes interract to include Product Design & Development. You might not need to update your procedures or reference to procedures unless you plan to have a procedure for 7.3 (not required).

As part of document control you will have to get a copy of the ISO 9001:2008 standard (priot to the audit) to replace the 2000 version (I got mine from ASQ, on-line). The new standard highlights the changes between the two; like I said, nothing major. Another source for learning about the changes is your registrar. Most likely they have some presentation or summary of the changes, so contact them ASAP. You might also want to ask the registrar if the audit can be postponed so you can buy some more time; in worst case you can proceed with the audit as planned and see what comes out of it. The worst that can happen is end up with a major finding or more and have to undergo a follow-up audit; the registrar is not going to pull your registration immediately. This should not be a reflection on you since if company did not follow its own quality system for a year. There is no magician who can turn around a QMS in two weeks!

As a side note, make sure you communicate with the executive management the current situation and what is to be expected so their expectations are not unrealistic. Let me know if you need more info and guidance. Good luck with the audit!

Can I ask why it is that the section 7.3 must now be added to the manual. Are you now product design responsible? If so, then not only must you update your manual (scope and removed exclusion/justifications) and have a process for product design, (which has the applicable sub-clause requirements) you have to demonstrate it as implemented to be certified. Unlikely, given the short time frame!

Are you really saying that you went from not being design responsible to now being design responsible? Or is there something else in play here? I'd just like to get the fullest picture you understand.

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
As part of document control you will have to get a copy of the ISO 9001:2008 standard (priot to the audit) to replace the 2000 version (I got mine from ASQ, on-line).
While it's certainly good to have a copy of the standard on hand, there is no requirement (outside of a local one) to have one, no matter what a benighted auditor might think.

B

brahmaiah

You donot have to make any major changes in the manuals.You just have to change the Standard No.to ISO 9001:2008 where ever it is referred as ISO 9001:2000.
V.J.Brahmaiah

A

anil123

1. At first momnet check your documentation if you would have wriiten ISO9001:2000 then replace it to ISO 9001:2008
2. You have to comply with the stutaory and regulatory requirements applicable to your Organization. For this prepare a list of all approvals you have received from Local Govt. Body.
3. You have to apply the 2nd requirement to your outsourcing process owner if you have any outsource process.
4. If you are outsourcing any service which is directly affecting quality is to be taken under approved supplier list also.

If you do all these 4 points you will get success. Basically these 4 points the externa auditor will check first during the audit.

T

TBDQM

Can I ask why it is that the section 7.3 must now be added to the manual. Are you now product design responsible? If so, then not only must you update your manual (scope and removed exclusion/justifications) and have a process for product design, (which has the applicable sub-clause requirements) you have to demonstrate it as implemented to be certified. Unlikely, given the short time frame!

Are you really saying that you went from not being design responsible to now being design responsible? Or is there something else in play here? I'd just like to get the fullest picture you understand.
From what I was told, we have always been the engineering and design for our customers, but our customers have always headed the design process, taking full accountability. We were walking a fine line by excluding it from our original certification, but now we have customers that are requiring us to be certified with section 7.3.

T

TBDQM

You might not need to update your procedures or reference to procedures unless you plan to have a procedure for 7.3 (not required).
Are you saying that I do not have to have procedures to reference 7.3?! Where would I find this in writing. Inevitably I will write procedures, because we do meet all of the documentation requirements, but if I could get away from having to have the procedures completed by audit time, this could allow me to focus on more important items.

I would like to thank everyone for there input!!

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
From what I was told, we have always been the engineering and design for our customers, but our customers have always headed the design process, taking full accountability. We were walking a fine line by excluding it from our original certification, but now we have customers that are requiring us to be certified with section 7.3.
Are you saying that I do not have to have procedures to reference 7.3?! Where would I find this in writing. Inevitably I will write procedures, because we do meet all of the documentation requirements, but if I could get away from having to have the procedures completed by audit time, this could allow me to focus on more important items.
The question is about whether or not your company is design responsible. Without knowing more about the overall design process for your products it's hard to say. Generally speaking, if your company has unilateral authority to develop or change a design, you are design-responsible and 7.3 applies. This is a somewhat murky area. Regardless of the actual requirements of the standard, however, it appears that your company would at least want to control its part in the design process, so some form of internal design control requirements would be appropriate.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A What ISO 9001:2015 clause could be used to write nonconformance for not updating licensed driver list? General Auditing Discussions 8
T Design & Development in Updating Machines and Equipment - ISO 9001 Help Design and Development of Products and Processes 4
F Updating a Quality Manual from ISO 9001 to ISO TS 16949 - Process Mapping IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
M Updating a Quality Manual from ISO 9001:2000 to ISO 9001:2008 Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 57
B Updating from ISO 9001:2000 to ISO 9001:2008 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
J ISO/AS Surveillance Audit - Minor for not updating my QA Manual to ISO 9001:2008 Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 95
I Updating Lead Auditor Certifications to ISO 9001:2008 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
B Tips on updating our Quality Systems Manual from ISO 9001:1994 to ISO 9001:2000 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
B Timeframe for updating QMS / transitioning from ISO 14971:2012 to ISO 14971:2019 ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 10
C ISO 13485 Gap Analysis Checklist - Updating ISO 13485 from the 1996 standard to 2003 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
G Updating MDD devices after MDR transitional period EU Medical Device Regulations 0
G Updating FMEAs after Design Updates FMEA and Control Plans 4
T Help with updating procedures ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 18
A Updating Technical Documentation regularly => Leaner Release Advice EU Medical Device Regulations 2
T Re-PPAP after updating CMM program? Manufacturing and Related Processes 9
H Updating Quality Manual to API Q1 Service Industry Specific Topics 6
Z Minitab - Updating Graph with specific data points Using Minitab Software 2
N Updating the website of the manufacturer EU Medical Device Regulations 1
Al Rosen Technical File - Updating Applied Standards EU Medical Device Regulations 4
N Updating QM to 13485:2016 - We do not make medical devices ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
B Site Move - Question about Updating Product Labels 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
O Updating "opportunities" resulting from Corrective Actions Nonconformance and Corrective Action 2
N Updating class I device IFU with instructions to use class II cleared device 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
V Periodic review criteria for reviewing/updating SOPs US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
T Design Changes - Updating the Design and Development File EU Medical Device Regulations 5
L Clinical Evaluation Report Updating Procedure Other Medical Device Related Standards 5
A Changing a Form Template & Updating Records ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
M AS9100D - Updating Scope Exclusions AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 9
E Updating DHF (Design History File) to include Alternative Component 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
W ISO9001:2015 - Clause 7.5.2 - Requirements for Creating & Updating Documents ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
Q Actions Taken - Updating a FMEA for the addition of a downstream poke yoke FMEA and Control Plans 3
I NCR for Customer not updating their drawings AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 14
P Updating a Medical Device's Intended Use Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
N Updating Job Titles - Does This Mean There Needs to Be a rev change? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
shimonv Updating Safety Test Report when changing component supplier IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
K Updating Outdated Calibration Procedures Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
J Is the SFDA in China in the process of updating their Medical Device Regulations ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
B Requirement for Updating Medical Device Software (Firmware) in the Field 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 11
S IPC 620 updating from Class 1 to Class 3 Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 6
C Updating (Revising) Documents with a New Logo Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
O Sum of Cpk - Updating Product Tolerances Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 6
R Standard Relevance & Updating - ASME B&PVC Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 4
J Declaration of Conformity - Updating the DofC to MMD 2007/47/EC EU Medical Device Regulations 4
C Updating our Laboratory Calibration / Verification Procedures IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
V Updating Quality Manual - Adding the word Statutory in front of laws and regulations Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 3
M Updating Certificate of Foreign Government (CFG's) Other US Medical Device Regulations 18
ScottK How is this for extremes in updating to the ISO9001:2008 rev ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
A FDA - Registration & Listing Updating + when Purchasing another Company 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 8
K Updating Procedures because they are bland and wordy Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 12
C Updating the IPC1752 info RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 3