Upgrading to AS9120A - Configuration Management

T

tfisher

Hello everyone. Great forum!

I run the quality systems for an industrial distribution company. We've been ISO 9001 registered for over 10 years and have been AS9120 for going on 2 years. I'm in the process of getting ready for the upgrade to AS9120A which brings me to the lovely topic of configuration management which is now part of AS9120.

I don't want to overly complicate things, so I'm looking for a little advice on what's the most basic way for me to handle it.

In our business, we strictly buy and sell. We do not manufacture or modify anything ourselves. It simply passes through. Occasionally, our customer will have us forward a part to be modified to a print before they receive it. We always track the print revision and have each print tied to the orders. We always send a new print with any such request.

Obviously, I'm going to create a procedure to cover the configuration management process, but again, as we don't make or modify anything ourselves and the vast majority of product simply flows through us, I don't want to make things any more complicated than necessary.

Thanks in advance to anyone that takes their time to reply. I truly appreciate it.

Take care.:)

Todd

Last edited by a moderator:
Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator

I run the quality systems for an industrial distribution company. We've been ISO 9001 registered for over 10 years and have been AS9120 for going on 2 years. I'm in the process of getting ready for the upgrade to AS9120A which brings me to the lovely topic of configuration management which is now part of AS9120.

I don't want to overly complicate things, so I'm looking for a little advice on what's the most basic way for me to handle it.

In our business, we strictly buy and sell. We do not manufacture or modify anything ourselves. It simply passes through. Occasionally, our customer will have us forward a part to be modified to a print before they receive it. We always track the print revision and have each print tied to the orders. We always send a new print with any such request.

Obviously, I'm going to create a procedure to cover the configuration management process, but again, as we don't make or modify anything ourselves and the vast majority of product simply flows through us, I don't want to make things any more complicated than necessary.

Thanks in advance to anyone that takes their time to reply. I truly appreciate it.

Todd
Can someone help Todd?

Thank you!!

Stijloor.

michellemmm

Quest For Quality

Todd
Hi Todd,

How do you make sure the customer receives as ordered products in terms of product configuration?

How do you ensure that the supplier has an adequate configuration management system?

How do you assure the correct documentations and specifications are checked in and checked out?

How do you control CM artifacts?

These are a few areas I would focus...

dsanabria

Quite Involved in Discussions

Todd

From The AIQG website:

7.1.1 / 7.5.3 - Configuration Management
Addition:
Deemed applicable to Distributors
Structured in line with ISO 10007 requirements

Rationale:
Focuses configuration management on the product and how it is sustained throughout product realization

Implementation/Audit Considerations:
Some level of configuration management is expected for all products at all levels of the supply chain in compliance with exclusion criteria (see clause 1.2)

ok

Some companies have a traveler, Shop order, etc that provides information as to how receive, re-package, identify it, inspected .... That process should include:
statutory and regulatory requirements,
criticality in terms of risks and safety,
new or modified technology, design or development,
interfaces with other configuration items,
changes to drawings and disposition
procurement conditions, and
support and service.

M

Mary2962

Our company is AS9120 certified and our Configuration Management consists largely of what we consider probably the most important aspects of our product realization - traceability. Since we make or modify nothing, this, along with procurement contitions, test results, statutory and regulatory requirements and of course packaging and shipping, becomes our product configuration and planning.

R

rk43110

do you have an Procedure you could share with me that covers config magt. for distributors that do not modify products-simple in and out?

M

Mary2962

Sorry to have seen this so late... I don't get on much!

We have a database with input concerning PO / Part Number / Regulatory / Serial #/ C of C information etc., etc. This input ocurrs througout product realization. Our Packing Notes and our own accompanying C of C are printed with information from this database and matched up with product as it is received in and shipped out. Release consists of a signature documenting that identification and traceability (configutation management) activities, along with visual inspection, have been performed before shipment.

I hope this helps you a bit.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
N Upgrading obsolete standard - how to? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
Marc Your opinion on upgrading to Xenforo 2.2 Elsmar Cove Forum Suggestions, Complaints, Problems and Bug Reports 5
shrutisancheti Upgrading medical device at healthcare establishments (user facility) 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
Cats Clause Upgrading from ISO 9001:2015 to IATF 16949:2016 - Anyone have a gap analysis tool? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
V Upgrading Systems from CFR 211 to CFR 820 (drug+device combination) 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 7
T Reduced Audit days when UPGRADING from AS9100 to TS16949 - Is it possible? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
C Upgrading an old Supermicrometer General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
R QMS System Upgrading - Should the HSE and Finance functions be included? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 15
N Template for a Quality Plan upgrading to ISO 13485 from ISO 9001 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
Q ISO 9001:1994 Upgrading to ISO 9001:2000 or ISO 9001:2008? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
T Upgrading of QMS from ISO 9001 to ISO 13485 - Quality Manual Revision ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
N Upgrading ISO 13485:2003 QMS to FDA 21 CFR 820 Compliance ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
W Questions about upgrading from ISO 9001 to ISO 13485 or do I have both? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 13
R Upgrading to TS 16949 - A Management Overview and Kickoff Document IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
H Upgrading ISO 9001 to TS 16949 - Plastic injection molding company IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 13
J Upgrading an existing Management System into a full-fledge QMS? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 19
J Upgrading ISO9001 to ISO13485 - Relationship of ISO9001 to ISO13485? Registrars and Notified Bodies 7
Claes Gefvenberg Upgrading the Windows OS PC? After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 29
A Upgrading from ISO9001:2000 to AS9120 - Difficulties? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 17
B Upgrading our QS-9000 system to TS 16949 - Where do I start? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
M Criteria for Auditor Selection and upgrading their auditing skills General Auditing Discussions 6
T Are registrars taking a harder line on upgrading QS-9000 certs to TS 16949? Registrars and Notified Bodies 10
L Upgrading to TS 16949 from QS-9000 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
G Upgrading: ISO 9001:2000 to TS 16949 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
R 'Upgrading' to TS 16949:2002 from QS-9000 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
N Upgrading to ISO 9000:2000 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
C Procedures - New Revision or Original Issue - Upgrading to ISO9001:2000 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
R QS Shop upgrading to ISO 9K2K QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 1
Marc Upgrading to ISO 9001:2000 - Changing Documentation Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
W AS9120A to AS9120B transition AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
O Should ISO 9001:2008 be treated as a standalone quality standard alongside AS9120A? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
R Moving from ISO 9001 to AS9120A Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
A Fulfilling the requirements of AS9120A Clause 8.2.5 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
B AS9120A Process Effectiveness Assessment Report Forms AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 23
R Configuration Management - Identifying Documentation IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 3
H AS9100 D - 8.1.2 Configuration Management for Build-to-Print Service Provider AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
S Configuration Item definition question AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
William55401 Distributed By Product - Best Practices for Configuration Management and Purchasing Controls ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 0
John Predmore Configuration Management as a process instead of a procedure AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 10
G AS9100-8.1.2 Configuration Management AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
H EO Sterilization Validation - Sterility Testing and Load Configuration Other Medical Device Related Standards 3
R Configuration Management in AS9100 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
N Configuration Management - Physical Audit and Functional Audit for Software and Hardware General Auditing Discussions 4
T Change control and configuration management - When to create a new model/part number? Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 0
P Configuration Management Software EASA and JAA Aviation Standards and Requirements 4
W Reproducibility on Different Machines of the same Configuration Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
C Per IEC 62304, are DHF documents Configuration Items? IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 8
P EASA STC (Supplemental Type Certificate) on a Pre-mod FAA STC Configuration EASA and JAA Aviation Standards and Requirements 1
F Class II 510(k) question for device with different EU - US configuration 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
J Configuration Manager's Duties - AS9110 or AS9100 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 10