Upper Management Pay - I seriously don't understand this

G

Gert Sorensen

Just read on CNN:
After a notable 21-year career at Merrill Lynch & Co., Stanley O'Neal stepped down Tuesday as chairman and CEO, less than one week after the firm stunned Wall Street by revealing an $8 billion loss on risky investments in subprime mortgages.

That in itself can hardly be uncalled for, however further down in the article I read this:

Published reports about what O'Neal may walk away with have ranged from $129 million to $160 million.

The article can be read here: http://money.cnn.com/2007/10/30/news/companies/merrill_oneal/index.htm?

Now, how in the name of [insert your favourite deity] can somebody who is responsible for an $8 billion loss walk away with at least $129 million?????? Who wrote his contract? They ought to fire his/her sorry behind too!

This is unethical far beyond what I am able to comprehend. (besides I am envious: Imagine that a company allows you to mess up this big, and then rewards you with a bonus huge enough to let you live the rest of your life in luxury :yes: ).

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Manix

Get Involved!!!
Trusted Information Resource
Re: I seriously don't understand this

I don't know much about wall street, but I assume $8 Billion over a 21 year period is pretty small fry for a bank the size of that! I would guess he has made a lot more than that in his previous 21 years and hence the substantial remuneration! PLUS if the dollar gets much weaker he might not get much for his money! Maybe just a small Yacht and 3 holiday homes!!!!!

But like I say, I know nothing about these people with far too much money to play with!

Plus are US billions and millions a bit different to what we term millions in Europe?

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Staff member
Admin

There are the very, very rich, there are the very, very poor, and then there's everyone else (us).

If the question is: Is anyone worth paying this much to? My answer is no one is 'worth' that much money.

D

D.Scott

Plus are US billions and millions a bit different to what we term millions in Europe?
I will gladly volunteer to receive a billion in US dollars and a billion in European currency with an objective of comparing the two. If I find a substantial difference in the enjoyment I get from either, I will let you know. :notme:

Dave

Helmut Jilling

Auditor / Consultant

Just read on CNN:
After a notable 21-year career at Merrill Lynch & Co., Stanley O'Neal stepped down Tuesday as chairman and CEO, less than one week after the firm stunned Wall Street by revealing an $8 billion loss on risky investments in subprime mortgages.

That in itself can hardly be uncalled for, however further down in the article I read this:

Published reports about what O'Neal may walk away with have ranged from $129 million to $160 million.

The article can be read here: http://money.cnn.com/2007/10/30/news/companies/merrill_oneal/index.htm?

Now, how in the name of [insert your favourite deity] can somebody who is responsible for an $8 billion loss walk away with at least $129 million?????? Who wrote his contract? They ought to fire his/her sorry behind too!

This is unethical far beyond what I am able to comprehend. (besides I am envious: Imagine that a company allows you to mess up this big, and then rewards you with a bonus huge enough to let you live the rest of your life in luxury :yes: ).

According to the reports I heard, he received NO bonus of any sort this year, because of his poor results. I was grateful that a company finally made that linkage. I understood the 129 million was the accumulatation of stock, etc. over the years. That would be the equivalent of a 401k type accumulation (bit larger than mine) and they can't take that away retroactively. That's all I know, however.

H

Howard Lee

I don't know much about wall street,
Will Rogers knew that Wall Street was crooked. "You can stand at the head of it, and you can only see to the bend. It just won't let you see all of it at once as short as it is."

Pretty much sums it up.:notme:

Randy

Super Moderator

This dude along with the others essentially had a pre-nup with a compensation promise if the "marriage" didn't work. Basically stupid directors of corporations create plans for failure with the clowns they hire.

R

ramblinpaul

Reminds me of a story I once heard.

It's about an out-of-town visitor who was being shown the wonders of the New York financial district. When the tour group arrived at the Battery, one of his guides indicated some beautiful ships at anchor. "Look, those are the bankers' and brokers' yachts.

The out-of-town visitor inquisitively asked, "Where do the customers keep their yachts?"............

B

Benjamin28

There are very few examples of the ultra-wealthy being held responsible for failure, fraud, or outright crime. A 140 million dollar going away package sounds about right for a CEO who lost 8 billion, at least in our culture it does.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Leadership Role in Designing QMS - Upper Management Support Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 16
A ISO 9001 Help - New Quality Manager - Upper Management Support Issues ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 23
0 Suggest a Lean Book for Upper Management Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 6
B Upper Management makes changes to a report - How do I handle this? Six Sigma 12
K Explaining to Upper Management how ISO 13485 helps a Business Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 18
E Internal Audits - Presenting Audit Findings to Upper Management General Auditing Discussions 19
S Extent of Site manager (SM) Commitment - Upper Management issues Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 8
A How to Audit ISO 17025 Clause 4.2.7 - Upper Management ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
Q How to sell an idea to the upper management when... Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 12
S Frustration with Attitude of both Upper & Lower Management - Need To Vent Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 33
Q Key Indicators Worksheet from Upper Management Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 20
S Management Commitment - Changing the Mindset of Resistant Upper Management Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 6
T How to measure Upper Management Commitment Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 7
S Customer Satisfaction Reporting Metrics - Reporting to upper management? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
Q How do you overcome knee jerk reactions from upper management on CA? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 18
C How do you get management support? Upper-Management Support Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 24
C How to get support from upper management? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 25
C Upper Management Education to the gist of ISO 9001:2000 Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 12
K Games for training - Introduction to ISO 9001 for Upper Management Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 9
S How are you undertaking Supplier assessment and Educating Upper Management in ISO9000 Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 13
E Quality as a part of Upper / Senior Management ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 15
C Any ideas on getting mid to upper management involved in Internal Audits? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 6
W Problem getting help from upper management with our internal auditing program Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 18
F Management Representative is Upper Management Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 4
G Upper Management wants a Time Limit on Internal Audits - Slice Audits? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 14
S Heat Sealers Upper and lower limit setting during OQ for Heat Sealer Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 0
R How to calculate UCL (Upper COntrol Limit) and LCL (Lower Control Limit) Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
K Calculating Capability of a process when data is skewed in the upper range Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 4
D Calculating Lower and Upper 3 Sigma Control Limits Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
A Upper Confidence Level (3 sigma) for Proportion Defective Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
H Johnson Transformation in Minitab - How upper & lower spec limits are recalculated Using Minitab Software 1
K How to Calculate UCL (Upper Control Limits) and LCL (Lower Control Limits) Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 18
K Calculating UCL (Upper Control Limit) and LCL (Lower Control Limit) Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 14
O Capability with an Upper Limit but a Lower Limit which is Nominal Value Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 4
S Calculation of Upper and Lower Control Limits for Control Chart? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 7
D Calculating Upper-CL/Lower-CL and Process Capability Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 8
J No Critical Dimensions listed in a Upper Legend Block APQP and PPAP 1
J Moving Range Upper and Lower Control Limits when alpha=0.002 Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
Q UCL (Upper Control Limit) Calculations - Sample Problem Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 11
S Employee Satisfaction: Getting upper managements attention Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 30
T Upper and Lower Limit Calculation with Capability Formula - Product Weight Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 12
B Portable hardness testing recommendations - Upper Rockwell B scale Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 6
E Capability study on true position callout. What would be the upper and lower spec? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 7
M How to Calculate UCL (Upper Control Limit) & LCL (Lower Control Limit) & CL Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 73
H Gage R&R - Is there an upper bound for number of distict categories? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
M Bias - Upper and Lower control Limit - Bias Study page 88 of the MSA 3rd Edition Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
D Calculating upper and lower confidence interval bounds Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
L Geometric Tolerancing and SPC - Calculating position upper and lower control limits Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 36
A Management of change procedure for ISO 45001 Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 3
NDesouza Management of Change (MOC) Manufacturing and Related Processes 11