US east coast in chaos following rare October snowstorm - 2011

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Staff member
Admin
Yes. :( We are running my husband's little camp generator and plugging in the refrigerator, and alternating charging laptops when the batteries run low. He has a cord running down to the wireless hub, so we have internet. Going without water is the worst, we use a well and the 220V pump is hard wired so generators won't run it unless they are fed into a panel. I filled the bath tub with flushing water last night but the drain is letting it run out slowly.

I'll be able to cook a pot of meatball soup later on top of Jeff's garage wood stove - I prepared and browned the meatballs last night. I can't cook it in here, the stove in our house is a double walled model for the sake of tight clearances and it does not allow us to cook on top of it.

Marc

Retired Old Goat
Staff member
Admin
Bummer. I just read on Reuters the estimate is now up to 3 million without power. What a wallop! Luckily it's not into the late December to early March period. My daughter is north of Philly in North Wales. It hit there but it's in the high 50's her mother (Donna) said in a text to me. They haven't lost power but she said a lot of places around them are out.

Hey - Where you are - Electric is out but internet lines aren't? Do you have copper line phones?

Last edited:

True Position

Inactive Registered Visitor
Bummer. I just read on Reuters the estimate is now up to 3 million without power. What a wallop! Luckily it's not into the late December to early March period. My daughter is north of Philly in North Wales. It hit there but it's in the high 50's her mother (Donna) said in a text to me. They haven't lost power but she said a lot of places around them are out.

Hey - Where you are - Electric is out but internet lines aren't? Do you have copper line phones?
Could be a 3g/4g wireless card on a laptop as well (or a cell phone).

Marc

Retired Old Goat
Staff member
Admin
Yeah - That's sorta why I was asking. I have 3 connections here - 2 are RR cable (one on a business line and one is a "home" line), and one is local Cincinnati Bell ADSL (read slow) as a backup. Both are copper on cables running on poles. I've thought about a wireless through ATT or similar, but the data $ rates are very high. I doubt I would need it but as always I'm looking at my "contingency" plan for here improvements. I pretty much freak out on the rare times I lose internet access. I have electricity covered with a 17KW natural gas backup generator. It kicks in full 220V power less than 10 seconds after the mains drop drop or the frequency reaches NOP conditions. Short of a nearby earthquake which breaks the local gas lines, or a pretty much direct hit by a tornado (in which case I'm screwed anyway), I can depend upon the backup generator for electricity.

All this weird weather stuff has me a bit freaked in general. We had another very hot summer here. I went so far as to have a backup air conditioning unit installed. Winter's not a problem. This place is so heavily insulated that I don't even have to turn on the heat until it gets into the 30's. And I have a wood fireplace insert with dual blowers, and plenty of wood. I even keep an "emergency" kerosene stove and 10 gallons of kerosene in my barn, just in case.

I feel for Jennifer. Emergency Mode isn't fun.

Jen Kirley

Staff member
Admin
Got power back! :rar: Got it back at about 6PM or so, with enough time to rush around and get dinner finished, get the partly-washed clothes load through the wash and dry cycle, change the linens and take showers. We are grateful to be able to do this, that the power came back in time to do this before tomorrow morning, when Jeff must leave early for his work and I must commence my week in the hamster wheel. :D

Jeff said "I'm gonna go potty, then flush!" Then when he came back he declared this was it, clearly we must get a generator big enough to run the water pump, get his friend to install the panel to run the house with it, and next time this happens we'd have water. Well, we've talked this way before so I wouldn't hold my breath if I was you! truth is, we bought a generator after the Great Ice Storm, when we were in the dark and cold for 10 days - but didn't follow the salesman's stern advice "Now you be sure and run it at least once a month!" Finally, when we needed it the poor thing seized up and was ruined.

We have lots of flashlights, oil lamps and whatnot because we are out in a place where power outage should be expected. This early ugly storm is unnerving, maybe we'll get our act together now. But I try not to nag so I think somehow this story isn't over.

Last edited:

True Position

Inactive Registered Visitor
Yeah - That's sorta why I was asking. I have 3 connections here - 2 are RR cable (one on a business line and one is a "home" line), and one is local Cincinnati Bell ADSL (read slow) as a backup. Both are copper on cables running on poles. I've thought about a wireless through ATT or similar, but the data $ rates are very high.
If you have a smartphone with data plan you could just add on the wifi router price. With AT&T I believe that's $30/month. No need to get a completely second data line if your usage isn't going to be more then a few gb / month.

Of course, this would require you to be in a situation where you have cellular access but the browser/apps on your phone aren't sufficient.

Jen Kirley

Staff member
Admin
Glad to hear it, Jennifer! It's a big relief, isn't it!
Oh yeah it is, very much so. But honestly, compared to the Big Ice Storm this is all kid's stuff, just a reason to feel vexed about things. We don't have critical medical equipment to depend on or anything like that.

It's just nice to rejoin civilization. :D

A

amanbhai

I feel for you since I am the victim of power outages.
however, I have never experince power outages in cold winter. It must be worst!

Top Bottom