US FDA UDI Compliance Question - Class II (Special Controls)

QM Becky

Involved In Discussions
Hi Everyone,
I've got a question regarding UDI compliance in the US. I've not found anything in the FDA's documentation that answers the question... so, hoping one of you lovely people might be able to help.

I have a Class II (Special Controls) product that is NOT lot traced and is not serialized. It is not time sensitive so there is also no expiration date. The only thing I might have is a manufacture date, but really I don't have that either, at least not currently on any labels.

I note in the guidance that any of the 5 items considered PI that are on the labels must be included in the UDI barcode/human readable. What I'm not finding any reference to is what to do if none of the 5 items are on the label. Does the requirement for PI in the UDI still apply?

To further complicate my life, the packaging for these devices is preprinted bags, so a piece of variable data in a barcode will really wreck how I manage this particular product line.

Any thoughts or guidance are very much appreciated.

Kind Regards,
QM B

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Mark Meer

Trusted Information Resource
Re: US FDA UDI Compliance Question

Curious: how do you handle product traceability if there are no lot numbers (and, I presume, serial numbers), or production dates maintained?

As far as the pre-printed packaging, you can develop a small label, and attach it to the packaging wherever there's space. If you go with a 2D AIDC (e.g. DataMatrix), you can paste it onto pretty small areas. You need only get an in-house printer that can print these on demand, and then append it as a final step in your existing manufacturing process. This solution would make it viable to put in a production date as the PI...

QM Becky

Involved In Discussions

Thanks Mark. That is currently my plan, although I was kind of hoping I could find a loophole that would allow me to eliminate the PI portion.

WRT your question about the lot number and traceability... this product, while class II, falls outside the scope of needing a lot number or serial number (blew my mind too when I learned that) and the company that actually owns the product doesn't want to trace them that way. SO, I do have a manufacture date when we assemble it, and I have an internal lot number, but neither are applied to the product when packaged. So, when the UDI guidance indicates that any of the 5 items of PI on the label must be included in the barcode, what do you do when none of them are because they aren't required?
I suppose we we will be applying a small label with just the barcode and human readable portions for these products. The sad part is, it is going to take longer to print and apply the barcodes than the entire rest of the manufacturing process rolled up into one. :)

Mark Meer

Trusted Information Resource

Have you tried emailing the FDA UDI Help Desk? Takes a couple of weeks at this point to get a response, but they're pretty good at getting back to you eventually.

I suspect though, that their response will be that if the device requires a UDI, then you'll have to have some sort of production identifier. It seems that from what you describe the easiest element to incorporate is just the production date.

I totally agree that this UDI compliance can be (unnecessarily, IMO) burdensome. Most of the costs, however, are in the initial overhead (FDA-accredited agency registration, label development, equipment...).
Once these are in place, however, the actual printing and application of the barcodes should be fast and simple. Most software allows for fields that automatically put in the current date (and update UDI AIDC accordingly), so printing labels can be as simple as just pressing a button on the label printer.

Sheemah

Starting to get Involved

Does refurbished devices require a new UDI label, even if they are refurbished by the same manufacturer?

Thanks,
Sheemah

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Informational US FDA issued the first warning letter for UDI violations to help ensure compliance Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Medical Device News FDA Guidance - UDI: Policy Regarding Compliance Dates for Class I and Unclassified Devices and Certain Devices Requiring Direct Marking Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
D FDA UDI Class I Compliance Date Extended US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
bio_subbu FDA issues Small Entity Compliance Guidance for UDI Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
Sam Lazzara 12 Steps to FDA UDI (Unique Device Identification) Compliance (2013 - 2015) Other US Medical Device Regulations 45
N FDA UDI - Label vs. Labeling - Does the insert need to include UDI? Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
L UDI Requirments Gap Analysis - EU MDR vs FDA CFR EU Medical Device Regulations 8
J FDA Class 1 Medical Device UDI requirements Other US Medical Device Regulations 19
G FDA UDI markings "label" vs. "labelling" (labeling)? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 4
N Will an FDA UDI be compatible with a European MDR UDI? EU Medical Device Regulations 7
M FDA UDI with Multiple Packaging Configurations Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
Pmarszal FDA Global UDI Database: Record Submission Retention Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
Ronen E FDA issues draft guidance on form & content of UDI Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
bio_subbu FDA issues Guidance on UDI - Frequently Asked Questions, Vol. 1 Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
K UDI (Unique Device Identification) requirements of US FDA US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 4
L New Website from the FDA concerning UDI Exceptions, Alternatives and Time Extensions Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
Ajit Basrur ICCBBA Is Now an FDA-Accredited Issuing Agency for Unique Device Identifiers (UDI) Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
X FDA UDI (Unique Identification) amendment on 19 Nov 2012 - Date of 'final rule'? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 4
K Are you wondering about FDA's UDI rule? Here's a non-exhaustive summary: Other US Medical Device Regulations 12
S US FDA Unique Device Identification (UDI) Proposed Rule 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 18
J Is Device Tracking Card an actual requirement under FDA regulation? Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
T Definition Human Use (FDA) Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 7
K FDA 510k electrosurgery 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 0
J Leveraging FDA 510k Clearance for International Registrations Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2
shimonv FDA News FDA guidance on Multiple Function Device Products (8/2020) Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
J FDA notification of address change US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
N Usability testing required for FDA IDE (investigational device exemption)? Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 3
A FDA Class Classification for a cabinet 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
L FDA Biocompatibility Requirements - Transitory Contact Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
Edward Reesor FDA DM and /or Class I Life Saving US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
Watchcat FDA will not tolerate fraud…meaning what, exactly? Other US Medical Device Regulations 6
K FDA Premarket Cybersecurity Guidance - 4 questions Other US Medical Device Regulations 5
gunnyshore Form FDA 3500A MedWatch eSubmitter 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
Watchcat FDA Webinar Series - N95 Respirators Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
M Off-Label Use - Clarification of FDA Policy US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
J Sub-supplier change from manual to automated process - same specs - Report to FDA? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
C FDA Establishment registration - Buying some medical devices from another manufacturer Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 5
I How to classify a medical device based on FDA? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
dinaroxentool Question about FDA Classification of a Device 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
S The US FDA requirements on Disposal of a medical device US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
S FDA Requirements for Medical Device Label Reconciliation 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
S What is considered a "core algorithm"? (From an FDA guidance document) Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 4
B FDA-Medical Device Reporting (MDR )procedure compliant with 21CFR section 803 US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
Stoic Are any medical device companies using the 2011 FDA process validation guidance instead of GHTF/SG3/N99-10:2004? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
D ISO 13485, FDA 21 CFR 820 and Auditing the Accounting Department ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
S FDA's E submitter - For clinical electronic thermometer Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 6
J FDA wants electrical safety testing on battery powered medical device US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 11
A FDA and NB audit of Engineering Drawings in DHF and DMR. Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
D FDA De Novo Cover Letter - What is expected US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
Ed Panek 21 CFR Part 820 - FDA Label Requirements 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 8