USA ? Military Specifications Questions

A

Arturo Rosales

USA – Military Specifications Questions

Hello you all…

I don’t know how many of you are suppliers (Material/Products) to the USA Department of Defense (Military Contracts) but I have one question, if somebody can bring some light into this subject it will be appreciated.
(I have always work in commercial contracts, this is my first time working as supplier for the Military)

We have military specifications like MIL-R-6855 (AMS-R-6855) and MIL-R-6130C, just to mention this two, that required on section 3.1 First Article to be perform per section 4.3 First Article Test. The first article test needs to be performed per table VII.

 It is my understanding that First Article Report need to be perform on the beginning of the production run, to confirm that we are under control conditions.
 We have all of our suppliers (rubber manufacturers) that are selling us, raw material per Military Specifications and I’m asking them to provide a certificate of compliance with test reports per the military specification and I’m finding out that they will perform the test only if requested. I don’t understand how can they sell material per a MIL spec. If they don’t perform the test as required.

My problem is that I’m finding out, that these manufacturers are selling some thing that is not, and if I ask them to provide test reports (evidence that the material passes all requirements) they will charge extra.
I did send a sample to an outside lab to confirm that material was ok AND IT FAILED….

I don’t know if it is because I’m new to the industry or this is the way they do business, but I don’t like it.

Our sales department is telling me that they don’t know from other competitors and customers that requires test reports, they have been asking around and most of the people have not even read the Mil-Spec!!!!!.
For what I understand when you sell a product to the government you are responsible for your supplier.

Please let me know your comments on the subject. I don’t want to drive my company out of business. I’m starting to required that all material that is received that is MIL-SPEC test reports need to be attached, this is making our cost go high, and we will not be able to compete with other suppliers.

All comments will be appreciated.
Regards,
Arturo Rosales

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

barb butrym

Quite Involved in Discussions
I don't have experience with the standards you mention, but mega experience with others.

You need to get a relationship with your DoD/customer team for interpretation. Could mean that first article test is re: the tooling, or 1st production run...can vary with your industry and process....or may be a process control function that does or does not need to be flowed down. If you don't know, then you need to ask someone who counts...not just other users.

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
I've done a lot in military manufacturing in the past but it has been a few years.

First article is pre-production acceptance. It's typically dimensionals and functional test. Talk to your <FONT COLOR="#FF0000">DCAS</FONT> rep about what s/he needs - but <FONT COLOR="#0000FF">First Article requirements should be defined in your contract</FONT>.

The bottom line on your question of what to do about material reports from suppliers:

You will have to work with them for now but in the future you will have to address this issue early. Typically if you have a contract to purchase material or subassemblies and <FONT COLOR="#0000FF">*after the fact*</FONT> you request material certifications, it probably will be an extra fee. <FONT COLOR="#FF0000">I would suggest youy seriously look at your quality planning system and how your purchasing department fits in.</FONT> Sounds like they're buying stuff with no checks.

<FONT COLOR="#FF0000">However, the problem is deeper than that.</FONT> If you had some material tested and it is <FONT COLOR="#FF0000">not</FONT> what it is supposed to be you either have a <FONT COLOR="#0000FF">neglegent</FONT> supplier or a <FONT COLOR="#FF0000">fraudulent</FONT> supplier. And while I have no idea what you are making, that to me is <FONT COLOR="#FF0000">VERY serious</FONT>. What have you already made and shipped with material from the problem supplier? Have you contacted the supplier and informed them of the problem? What was the result of the contact? Military or not - in my eyes this is a serious problem.

Yes - if you supply the government you are responsible for your suppliers, but <FONT COLOR="#FF0000">I expect that in the commercial world as well</FONT>.

I used to consult with companies having problems with the DoD and / or one of the US armed services. One company called me in because the contract print called for a specific rubber which was no longer manufactured. I won't go thru pages of details, but suffice it to say the print and contract had to be changed. It was a real pain.

Give me a call if you want to discuss this in more detail.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Interesting Discussion Requirements for selling a Food product in USA Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 0
D Requirements for Ingredients or Actives in the USA US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
D Not a SaMD - How to be submitted for marketing authorization in EU and USA CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 5
P Is there a counterpart to the General Safety and Performance Regulations for the USA? Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
Sidney Vianna Interesting Discussion The proliferation of Accreditation Bodies in the USA ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 7
Sidney Vianna Interesting Discussion Legal compliance as part of ISO 45001 accredited certification. Major OSHA penalties in the USA. Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 15
J IMDS for Trucks in USA as a requirement RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 1
C Exporting Demo Medical Devices from USA Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2
M Medical device package insert in EU and USA Japan Medical Device Regulations 2
M IAS (USA) Accreditation with IAF for ISO 13485 Logo Confusion EU Medical Device Regulations 10
C Excel date format from Denmark to USA Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 6
H ISO/IATF Internal Auditor Recommendations For Manufacturer In California, USA Internal Auditing 3
S Dates on Labels acceptable to the USA - GS1 General Specification 3.4.4 Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
Sam Lazzara USA Federal Court Upholds Copyright Protections for Standards Organizations Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 3
B FDA Listing of a Class I Medical Device in USA (Manufactured in China) 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 10
F Seeking Internship/Co-op Opportunities in Regulatory Affairs/QA/Clinical Domain (USA) Career and Occupation Discussions 4
Q CB (most preferred in USA?) ISO 9001 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
R Due Diligence - IGC USA - Anybody know anything about them? Registrars and Notified Bodies 8
C Service and maintenance in an initial importer facility USA 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
J What are the regulatory requirements to sell a Class II Medical Device in USA? Other US Medical Device Regulations 7
D What are the requirements for selling Alcohol Swabs in USA 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
Q VDA 6.3 Training in USA VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 2
M Does a Company need a US Agent although the Company has affiliated company in USA? Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
Q Relabeler EU from USA CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 7
Marc USA to insist on pre-flight mobe power probe Travel - Hotels, Motels, Planes and Trains 3
Ronen E Online resource for USA cities historical weather observations Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 2
A How many laboratories are accredited to ISO 17025 in the USA? ISO 17025 related Discussions 5
A Looking for an ISO 9001 Registrar in Bucks County, PA, USA Registrars and Notified Bodies 2
S Nationwide (USA) Calibration Service Provider Reccommendations wanted General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
A Guidance for Cleanroom Qualification and Validation relevant for EU and USA ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
R Should the USA and Canada merge? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 34
W What Information is provided when Importing Products into USA US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
AnaMariaVR2 Warning ? Don?t Confuse ?Made In USA? And ?Inspected By FDA? With Patriotism US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
Antonio Vieira What are the Tax Rates in the USA? Career and Occupation Discussions 17
G Labeling Requirements - Medical Device is Rx in USA, non-Rx in EU 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
L Australia/Canada and USA v's EU Medical Devices Regulations Comparison Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 4
W Medical Agency Label - A handshake, USA, printed over a US flag ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
G Can a Distributer in USA sell a medical device (CE marked) to Europe? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
S USA Standard Performance For Salmonella In Poultry Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 2
S Per Man day rate for Qualified TS Auditor in USA and UK ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
P Trip to the USA - Must-Eat Food? Holiday Planning Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 57
K Automotive Winter Survival Kit for the northeastern USA Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 30
Q Work at USA or return to Mexico? Career and Occupation Discussions 4
D FDA Cease to Manufacture Order in USA and our International Interests 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 11
N Export & Import of Unapproved Device in USA for Service Purpose Only 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
D Moving Manufacturing Equipment from USA to Europe - Is CE certification required?? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 12
A How to Market a Medical Device in the USA 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
P Lead limitation for USA automotive industry RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 3
somashekar How is "Made in USA" act applicable to Medical Devices US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 14
D Outside the US Recall (in the EU) on a CE Marked Product - File it in the USA? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3