Usage of web articles in DHF (Design History File)

renenatasha

Involved In Discussions
Good day! :bigwave:

I've a question concerning DHF.

I'd like to know if web articles (such as Wikipedia) can be used as part of the Design Output's evidence in the DHF. :confused:

For instance, my Design Input requirement says that sterilization process (EtO) should have minimal adverse impact on the environment and to support that, I'm using an article in Wikipedia as my Design Output. Is this permissible in FDA QSR's point of view?

I'm approaching a dead-end here and hence your invaluable advice is highly appreciated. Many thanks in advance! :)

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
X

X.Liu

Re: Usage of web articles in DHF

Do you mean you would like to use the article as verification/validation evidence for part of your design?
Or you would use it as part of rationale of your design?

renenatasha

Involved In Discussions

Liu, I'd like to use it as part of rationale in my design (design output in this case).

Is that permissible? Any idea?

Thanks.

somashekar

Staff member
Admin

If EtO sterilization requirement is the input, then an EtO sterilization process defined in your product specification is your output. You need no rationale here.

Coming to minimal adverse impact on the environment, again your web article etc can be your part of design input about how the EtO process has to be designed. This is a part of the process of sterilization where validation comes into application to demonstrate effective sterilization and supported by controlled process that shows a minimal effect on the environment.

At a DHF level, I do not think the minimal adverse impact on the environment has a place. In DHF, you are talking product design requirement.

Last edited:

renenatasha

Involved In Discussions

If EtO sterilization requirement is the input, then an EtO sterilization process defined in your product specification is your output. You need no rationale here.

Coming to minimal adverse impact on the environment, again your web article etc can be your part of design input about how the EtO process has to be designed. This is a part of the process of sterilization where validation comes into application to demonstrate effective sterilization and supported by controlled process that shows a minimal effect on the environment.

At a DHF level, I do not think the minimal adverse impact on the environment has a place. In DHF, you are talking product design requirement.
Thanks, Somashekar.

Well, I supposed we screwed up during the preparation of Design Input. The team agreed to have it stated as "EtO - sterilization process shall be of minimal adverse impact on the environment". So now that I'm in output stage, I'm trying to portray it by saying that EtO is a generally used sterilization process and as long as proper control measure is taken, there won't be an adverse impact to the environment. Hence in my design verification, I'll attach the Sterilizer's Air Emission Monitoring report stating that proper control measure has been taken and within spec. Is this OK?

Well, you're right, Somashekar. The thing is that the point I stated above is one of the Design Input Requirements where Environmental Impact is concerned. Having said that, we need to make sure that the Design Output meets the Design Input Requirement, which result in thus. :(

somashekar

Staff member
Admin

Thanks, Somashekar.

Well, I supposed we screwed up during the preparation of Design Input. The team agreed to have it stated as "EtO - sterilization process shall be of minimal adverse impact on the environment". So now that I'm in output stage, I'm trying to portray it by saying that EtO is a generally used sterilization process and as long as proper control measure is taken, there won't be an adverse impact to the environment. Hence in my design verification, I'll attach the Sterilizer's Air Emission Monitoring report stating that proper control measure has been taken and within spec. Is this OK?

Well, you're right, Somashekar. The thing is that the point I stated above is one of the Design Input Requirements where Environmental Impact is concerned. Having said that, we need to make sure that the Design Output meets the Design Input Requirement, which result in thus. :(
I have great concern to environmental issues and I am happy to note that in you too. However, in designing stages, if your product requires sterilization, you determine the method that best meets the product sterilization requirement.
If it is EtO then that is it.
If you have any other method apart from EtO, that can meet this sterilization requirement with same effectiveness and is still better than EtO in terms of environmental impact, please say that method.
How such a sterilization method must have minimal environmental impact is to be considered entirely in an other process and not in your product design. Hence your design output does not need to record this and no amount of web article will justify at this level.

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member

Hi,

Please note that Design Input is not carved in stone and can be revised, as long as you follow your controlled process for that.

Without going into the debate on whether or not a specific requirement belongs in the Design Input or not, from a regulatory standpoint I wouldn't rely on Wikipedia (or similar) as a reference to justify anything, though I highly respect Wikipedia as a remarkable endeavour for spreading human knowledge. It's just too easy to put anything (including unsubstantiated claims) in Wikipedia. I would much prefer to reference published standards or at least peer-reviewed articles / papers from reliable sources.

Cheers,
Ronen.

B

BLSSETO

Somashekar,
I don't think that a general literature article will be enough to support a design requirement. Also, the requirement does not provide a clear metric that allows you to compare it directly with the design output. I see a couple of options:
1) Revise your Design Input to eliminate the requirement. This should be the simplest and most straightforward.
2) In your design output document state that it is a bad requirement, is not relevant to the safety or efficacy of the device and, therefore, will not be addressed as a design output.
3) You should be able to go to your sterilization service and get a copy of a permit or letter stating that they comply with environmental regulations with regard to EO emissions. You may also be able to find out the level of emissions from your plant or the processing of one of your loads. The EPA has emissions requirements and so do many local regulatory bodies. You can use compliance to environmental regulations to support your conclusion.

renenatasha

Involved In Discussions

I have great concern to environmental issues and I am happy to note that in you too. However, in designing stages, if your product requires sterilization, you determine the method that best meets the product sterilization requirement.
If it is EtO then that is it.
If you have any other method apart from EtO, that can meet this sterilization requirement with same effectiveness and is still better than EtO in terms of environmental impact, please say that method.
How such a sterilization method must have minimal environmental impact is to be considered entirely in an other process and not in your product design. Hence your design output does not need to record this and no amount of web article will justify at this level.
Thanks, Somashekar.

Previously, we don't have this (Environmental Impact) in our Design Input form but ever since the EMS Audit, we've an MNC concerning this - the auditor noted that we should consider Environmental Impact during our early design stage (i.e. Design Input).

Thanks for the input though. Perhaps it's time to review the form (?). :)

renenatasha

Involved In Discussions

Hi,

Please note that Design Input is not carved in stone and can be revised, as long as you follow your controlled process for that.

Without going into the debate on whether or not a specific requirement belongs in the Design Input or not, from a regulatory standpoint I wouldn't rely on Wikipedia (or similar) as a reference to justify anything, though I highly respect Wikipedia as a remarkable endeavour for spreading human knowledge. It's just too easy to put anything (including unsubstantiated claims) in Wikipedia. I would much prefer to reference published standards or at least peer-reviewed articles / papers from reliable sources.

Cheers,
Ronen.
Thanks, Ronen.

You've been as helpful as other guys here. In a way, I do agree with that. So in this case, I'll look for the permissible exposure limit from OSHA and use that as the Design Output evidence. In Design Verification, I'll attach the sterilizer's Air Emission Monitoring report instead.

Thanks once again. - Rene

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C Tablet usage as interface IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 6
Z 510(k) usage - Company has 2 physically similar products Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 2
A Domain of the component (EASA CM No.: CM-SWCEH-001 Issue 01 Revision 02) Point 9.3.3 (Usage domain aspects) EASA and JAA Aviation Standards and Requirements 0
A Query regarding MS Excel usage Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 2
V System suitability or stability during continuous usage Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 0
T CMM measurement and usage in the Automotive Industry Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 2
B M&TE (Measurement and Test Equipment) Usage Records (Logs) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
B Usage of Parts from OQ (Operational Qualification) Mold Validation ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
E IEC & UL 60601-1 Plastics Flammability - Guidance on flame-rated plastics usage IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 11
K Calibration Interval based on Usage Calibration Frequency (Interval) 14
P Effective Road Usage Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 9
K Autoclave Log - Do we have to monitor the usage for every load? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
M How to analyse document usage for Sharepoint? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
G Usage and Calibration History for Calibration Frequency AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
A Function for Effects - Beginner in usage of the IQRM FMEA and Control Plans 3
D Off Label Usage (Class II Medical Device - Blood Bank Software) US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
E Test Data Accuracy Usage - Ethics Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 6
P DFX & DFLSS (DFSS) Techniques & Processes - Real world example of the usage Six Sigma 1
C Stability Trials (Shelf Life, Expiry and Usage Dates, etc.) for Medical Devices Design and Development of Products and Processes 4
P Relationship between Crimping ID & Crimping Depth - Minitab usage Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
T Disinfectant usage in a Clean Room Setting procedure ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
G Question concerning process troubleshooting and process FMEA usage in job shops FMEA and Control Plans 5
A Usage of Calibrated Equipment - Vernier Caliper Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 10
M An Honest Gauge R&R Analysis - Proposed usage of Donald Wheeler Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 15
Crusader Company Policy about Internet Usage and Access Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 10
G Adjusted Control Limits - Usage of Control Charts Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 26
S Auditor Credential, usage of General Auditing Discussions 8
K Bar coding of gages on usage instead of time General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
B Identifying Peak Demand and Usage with Start/End Time - Hospital Hospitals, Clinics & other Health Care Providers 3
P Aspect & Impact Assessment For Electricity Consumption and water usage ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 2
C Ignorant Cell Phone Usage (Cell Phone Etiquette) Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 24
M Approval vs. Point of Release and Concession Usage Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
B Case studies of 8D usage in non- automotive industries, administration areas needed Nonconformance and Corrective Action 0
S Develop and Train Project Management Team in Effective APQP Usage APQP and PPAP 5
A Engineering Manual for general usage for our engineer group Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
S Best way to learn Minitab Usage Using Minitab Software 9
S Usage Log - Calculating Time Difference in Excel - Start time and end time Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 21
S Company Internet / Email Usage Policy Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
T Conducting an Energy Usage Audit - Seeking template or form Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 3
B Radical attempt to increase usage of public transport in Newport, South Wales Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 0
A Computer usage in statistical calculation & inspection activities Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
M Lever type dial gauge - Usage of a dimensional 'test indicator' for measurement General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 10
A Customer not willing to reveal the usage or function of the part to the supplier Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 18
M Documentation and Usage of Work Instructions Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
H Real World Usage Profile Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
M Renault vs. AIAG FMEA - Would like details of it's usage and any training aids FMEA and Control Plans 4
W Acceptable Quality Levels (AQL) - What is the usage of AQL 100 to 1000? AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 11
B Do you use paper or web-based templates for CAPA processes? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
C Software validation - Off The Shelf Software - Web hosted ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
S IFU on web page - Consequences if the most recent one is not uploaded EU Medical Device Regulations 3