Use By and Expiration Date for a Class 3 Medical Device in Europe

D

DesiQE

Hi All,

Once again, I turn to you.

I was auditing a potential supplier in Europe for a Class 3 medical device and found this. The product has CE approval.

They have one year shelf life for the product that I was auditing.

They show manufacturing in July 2014 and Expiry (use by date) of July 2015. To my knowledge, this is not valid. I remember reading somewhere that if the use-by-date is given in month-year, then it should be assumed that the product was made in the beginning of the month and then given the shelf life. So that would mean, in this case, the expiry date should be June 2015. Only, if they give the full date dd-mm-yyyy, then they can use the same month. As in Manufacturing date: 25.07.2014 Expiry date: 24.07.2015.

Can you help me figure out where I might find this.

:thanx: in advance.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
Hi All,

Once again, I turn to you.

I was auditing a potential supplier in Europe for a Class 3 medical device and found this. The product has CE approval.

They have one year shelf life for the product that I was auditing.

They show manufacturing in July 2014 and Expiry (use by date) of July 2015. To my knowledge, this is not valid. I remember reading somewhere that if the use-by-date is given in month-year, then it should be assumed that the product was made in the beginning of the month and then given the shelf life. So that would mean, in this case, the expiry date should be June 2015. Only, if they give the full date dd-mm-yyyy, then they can use the same month. As in Manufacturing date: 25.07.2014 Expiry date: 24.07.2015.

Can you help me figure out where I might find this.

:thanx: in advance.
Hi,

IMO you are right and don't need to "find this" anywhere. It's just good common sense. You can ask them what safeguards are in place that the device will not be used after >12 months.

Cheers,
Ronen.

D

DesiQE

Hi Ronen,

As the saying goes "Common sense is not so common"! I am coming across these multiple issues related to the shelf life and dating of the product as you will see from my recent posts. Since these are not "written" anywhere, it is my sense versus their non-sense. And, when this has been going on unchecked by customers, or NBs, they feel like what they are doing is right. So, I am trying to find documented requirements that they can't defy as easily.

TWA - not the airline

Trusted Information Resource
Did you check how they qualified the 1 year shelf life? Maybe they actually have data to show stability of more than 1 year? Like maybe the protocol said to age the samples for 13 months because they want to label it the way they do?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Sterile medical device expiration date 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 7
CPhelan Nonconformance opened as incorrect expiration date placed on received product. Escalate to CAPA? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 4
S Is a specific day required in an expiration date? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 7
T No Defined Shelf Life/Expiration Date - Disposable single-use, non-invasive, non-sterile Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2
S Expiration Date (use by date) on a product label ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
R Documenting Expiration Date Extension for a specific lot ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 12
howste Merging sites on one AS9100 certificate - expiration date? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 7
I Label Expiration Date - Single Use Combination Medical Device EU Medical Device Regulations 2
Q TS / IATF 16949 Certificate Expiration Date Requirement Registrars and Notified Bodies 3
F Date of Manufacture and Expiration (Sterile Medical Device) question 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
M Is a Real Time Stability Study required to determine Expiration Date? EU Medical Device Regulations 9
D Shelf Life, Expiration Date & Labeling AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 9
Jim Wynne Laboratory Accreditation Certificate with no Expiration Date General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
E Expiration Date on Label for different Countries (Short Shelf Life Product) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
A Expiration of Validity Date for EN ISO 14971 ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 8
D Requirement for Expiration Date on Medical Device Accessory Labeling 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 8
B Date of Expiration for Consumable Solutions Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
A Shelf Life Testing - We would like to extend the sterility expiration date Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 1
E Change in the Expiration Date (from 24-36 months) - Need 510(k) changes? Other US Medical Device Regulations 10
P What is the difference between ?expiration date? and ?best before date?? Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 5
S Calculate expiration date of a product by studying stability test Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
B Expiration Date for Standardized Rockwell Hardness Blocks Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
Wayne Never put an Expiration (Due) Date on a Calibration Certificate Calibration Frequency (Interval) 41
R How to print an expiration date on a .pdf file Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
B QS-9000 Registration Certificates with no Expiration Date Registrars and Notified Bodies 10
P Disposables Shelf Life Expiration US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
J Product Service after CE Certification expiration CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
N IVD Lot Numbers and Expiration Dates - 21 CFR 809.10 Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
N Does Class I (exempt) device have requirements of Shelf Life and Expiration Dating ? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
M Pipet tips of the same Lot Number have different expiration dates Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 6
D AS9100 Recertification Audits - How much in advance of the Certificate Expiration AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 9
W Validation of SAP for ERP - Inventory, shipping, and monitoring expiration dates Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 18
O Cosmetics (otc) with Drugs - Expiration dates and three years stability / shelf life ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
J Calibration intervals - Expiration dates on our certificates w/out customer approval Calibration Frequency (Interval) 3
Douglas E. Purdy Certificate of Registration - No expiration indicator on the certificate - Why? Registrars and Notified Bodies 14
C Expiration Dates On Certifications Registrars and Notified Bodies 21
B New Release of CQI-12 Coatings Process (Revision 3- Release date- 7/2020) Customer and Company Specific Requirements 2
T Commission proposal being drawn up for postponement for date of application of MDR (2017/745) EU Medical Device Regulations 7
H CQI-15 2nd Edition - Date of initial assessment? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
I Revision History Date - date of updates or date of release? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
T CE mark start date for a device EU Medical Device Regulations 7
Z Role of economic operators (EO) post the EU MDR Date of application in May 2020 EU Medical Device Regulations 1
I Date of Quality Management System - Training Records ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 19
K Labeling requirements - Date of manufacture for software devices EU Medical Device Regulations 5
L Staying up to date on Regulations Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 8
M GSPR 23.3 (h) Manufacturing date on sterile barrier EU Medical Device Regulations 0
Q MDR Effectivity date for Legacy Class I Medical Devices EU Medical Device Regulations 5
S When is the last date for transition to ISO/IEC 80079-34:2018? Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 0
D FDA Date Format Requirement US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
G Is the calibration due date of equipment used to be on calibration certificate ISO 17025 related Discussions 38