Use of customer forms for PPAP - Color schemes vs. Content

J

jharding

Certain customers seem more interested in receiving PPAP's that fit neatly into their color schemes or file cabinets; rather than content.

Customer A once provided to suppliers a mandatory list of office supplies/vendors/catalog number of which to construct a PPAP's.

The motivation of this post, Customer B, has just mandated that customers submit using only Customer B's newly created (and numerous) electronic forms. As a bulk supplier, our PFMEA's, control plans, etc. already exist and are updated often. Does there exist any language in the new edition of PPAP that would allow the supplier to continue submitting information in their own media without risking QS9000 non-compliance?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
You're sorta between a rock and a hard place, so to speak. I doubt you'll like my solution as it is somewhat agressive.

If it was me (assuming current contracts), I would start with the approach that when the contract was agreed upon there was no 'special' customer requirement for special documentation/forms, etc. and as such the contract terms are being changed - you have an issue of a contract revision. I would work up a cost figure for the 'special' paperwork (materials, man-hours labour [both initially and per contract long term]) and propose your solution - "I'll do anything you want but you must pay for it".

You should add this 'condition' (customer requirement for special, non-standard documentation / forms) to your quote review checklist so that it is addressed in the future.

C

Christian Lupo

Ya probably wont like my advice either, I agree you are between a rock and a hard place. I also agree that some customer's just want pretty forms so it looks good in their office. I think this is one of the most fustrating "things" about QS--the people who require it don't understand it. You are at the whim of the SQE (Supplier Quality Engineer) of the month. I have submitted PPAP's that were signd off by one SQE, just to have it rejected by the next SQE, and subsequently approved again by that persons successor...etc.. It just goes on and on. What to do? Like I said you may not like it but, unless you fortuante enough to be the "only game in town" you will end up doing what the customer wants.

Ask the customer if what forms they prefer, and ask them if they have electronic versions they can send you...it will save you future disagreements. If not use the forms directly out of the QS manual, electronic versions are available for purchase though AIAG. Unfortunaltly this still may not be enough...

[This message has been edited by Christian Lupo (edited 05 January 2000).]

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R Customer using their own version of the AIAG PPAP Forms APQP and PPAP 5
P Customer Forms as external documents Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
L Recommendations for Control of Customer Tailored Forms? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
W Quantitative Customer Satisfaction Surveys - Templates or Forms? Benchmarking 4
H How to review Customer Satisfaction Clause when the Survey forms are not returned? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 34
D Control Of Customer Survey Forms and Related Forms Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
P Customer Complaint and Questionaire Forms Customer Complaints 7
D Question regarding customer feedback process ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
D Change Approval Requirements - Does every change need formal customer approval? Design and Development of Products and Processes 17
B Retention Samples when Customer Leaves Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 1
M Email Template that go to a customer and then get returned to us for RMA/Warranty Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
B FCA US Customer Specific IATF 16949- Critical Characteristics 8.6.2 Customer and Company Specific Requirements 0
D ISO 13485 8.2.1 and 8.2.2 - Customer Feedback and Customer Complaints ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
J Customer Complaint Response 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
V Quality review Meeting with Customer for complaints we received Customer Complaints 6
D IATF16949 - Interpretation of Customer Requirements clauses Elsmar Cove Forum Suggestions, Complaints, Problems and Bug Reports 2
S Obligation to accept customer audits? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 23
D IATF16949 7.5.3.2.1 Record Retention - Our Product or Customer Product? Elsmar Cove Forum Suggestions, Complaints, Problems and Bug Reports 1
S Customer Specific Requirements (CSR) not signed/approved IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 17
B FCA US IATF 16949 Customer Requirements updates Customer and Company Specific Requirements 3
G Same parts but new customer - What will the auditor ask me? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
R Customer Satisfaction importance in companies with Government/Public Administration as main customer? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
G Self Assessment Audit from a new potential customer General Auditing Discussions 3
P Customer Corrective Action Requests in OASIS? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
Ooi Yew Jin Customer E audit preparation Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 2
qualprod Managing a "special" customer into the QMS? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
C Certificate of Conformance Form - COC for each customer a controlled document? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
R Who is the customer in the ISO/IEC 17025:2017? ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
BeaBea ISO 9001 Customer Feedback Methods - What has worked for your company? Service Industry Specific Topics 17
T Root Cause Failure Analysis - Not following Customer packaging Specification Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 9
V Customer Print Specifications on PFMEA FMEA and Control Plans 13
S Issuing of CoC to Customer in a Word or Excel format ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
D Design Transfer Template capturing Customer Specific Requirements Other Medical Device Related Standards 3
W Direct to customer export of medical device (class I: prescription lenses + frame) US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
S How to treat a customer complaint ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
I ISO 9001:2015 Section 9.3.2 C1 "customer satisfaction and feedback from relevant interested parties" ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
JoCam Labeling to Customer Requirements EU Medical Device Regulations 1
T Advice needed - Environmental MS - unwritten but customer requests policy document ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 5
Q Customer Satisfaction through On-Time Delivery ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
Pau Calvo PPAP customer requirements in the APQP APQP and PPAP 25
T Nonconforming product at customer detected by a routine inspection by field service Nonconformance and Corrective Action 9
0 PPM calculation of customer complaints for PMS Customer Complaints 10
A Definition of customer in ITP (Inspection & Test Plan) Contract Review Process 3
I MSA requirement for 5 Micrometers + CP changes need customer approval? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
F Struggling with a root cause analysis - Customer Returns - Escape issue Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 15
S Best software for customer support/complaints? Customer Complaints 0
F ISO 17025 8.6.2 Customer Feedback Analysis ISO 17025 related Discussions 5
N Customer asking if their notified body can audit us ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
N ISO 9001:2015 Customer Complaints Requirements ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
PhilM Nonconformance report, Customer complaint investigations and RMAs ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8