Use of safety glasses at receiving inspection

kedarg6500

Quite Involved in Discussions
is it mandatory to use of safety glasses at receiving inspection according to OHSAS standard. our job is to do dimensional inspection

Kedar

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Ron Rompen

Trusted Information Resource
I will echo what somashekar said; the use of ANY safety equipment is (in general) determined by the hazards present in the workplace, or that are created by the work performed.
With that being said, there are also 'best practices' that you are recommended to follow so that you have a defense of due diligence in the case of an accident. The most common of these is safety boots and glasses - but if you are doing dimensional inspection, then I would think that safety glasses would only interfere with visual acuity - if there is no need for them, then don't use them.

P

PaulJSmith

I have worked a few places where safety glasses were required for any personnel on the production floor, even if you were just passing through. Some of them had "Exclusion Zones," which were marked off with yellow lines on the floor and appropriate signage. Inspection only areas were included in these areas, and did not require glasses when in the properly marked Zone.

You might consider this approach.

Michael_M

Echoing what others have said, it depends on the receiving inspection 'hazards'. If there is a hazard to the eyes, wear safety glasses. I have seen receiving inspection have to wear special gloves to protect the hands from a semi-acidic coating. In this case, I think I would want to wear safety glasses as well but I don't recall if they were required.

JLyt207

Involved In Discussions
When you say OSHAS do you mean the 18000 standard? If so, I can't comment. But if it is the same as OSHA's requirements then I agree with the others. There should be an audit of hazards the workers may be near. The hazards determine the PPE needs. Therefore the answer to your question may be yes, but only if you have determined you need them. However, as others point out, I find it hard to believe that you would need them in an area that only dimensional inspection takes place.

insect warfare

QA=Question Authority
I assume (from your profile) that your factory is located in India. Below are India's safety regulations concerning eye protection (from the Factories Act of 1948):

Chapter IV

35. Protection of eyes.

In respect of any such manufacturing
process carried on in any factory as may be prescribed, being a
process which involves--
(a) risk of injury to the eyes from particles or fragments
thrown off in the course of the process, or
(b) risk to the eyes by reason of exposure to excessive
light,
the State Government may by rules require that effective screens or
suitable goggles shall be provided for the protection of persons employed on, or in the immediate vicinity of, the process.

This is only additional information (just in case you were not aware of it) and it should not detract from the advice of the other Covers, which I agree with. A thorough assessment of the related hazards will definitely tell you if this task requires the use of safety glasses, and OHSAS 18001 seems to go above and beyond your regulations in this case.

Brian :rolleyes:

Randy

Super Moderator
is it mandatory to use of safety glasses at receiving inspection according to OHSAS standard. our job is to do dimensional inspection

Kedar
The OHSAS document does not mention safety glasses or anything else so the simple answer is NO!

Now there may be some need based upon the presence of potential eye hazards, but OHSAS 18001 doesn't required diddly-do

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J At least he is wearing his safety glasses Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 10
A Baby food manufacture - food safety requirements Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 0
dgrainger Informational EU medical device website change from 'Growth' to 'Health and Food Safety' (6/2020) Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
D Safety Assurance Case Report Format ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 4
B Product Safety Responsibility - Job shop such as a machine shop AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 10
K Things to learn during lockdown.... Safety-related books/articles/threads Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 1
JAMESH Job Safety - Lockout/Tagout and Respiratory Protocols Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
J Raw material certificates - CC - Safety products - Sheet metal stamping IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
M Differences in post market safety reporting for Combination Product Applicants Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
S Should safety checks be included in the Control Plan? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
adir88 Information of safety can reduce risk now? ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 12
D Is there a specific location for PPE such as safety glass holders and glove dispensers should be mounted Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 10
M Do you need an Applicable general safety and performance requirements Checklist? EU Medical Device Regulations 2
S VW Supplier Product Safety Representative (PSB) upgrade to PSCR VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 4
J FDA wants electrical safety testing on battery powered medical device US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 11
T Confirming The Local Safety Regulations for Equipment - I'm in Malaysia General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0
MrTetris Unacceptable risk and information for safety ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 16
A Contraindication Safety Statement in website - Radiotherapy equipment Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 1
L External power supplies: How close does the safety report have to match the end-use application? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4
C Safety lettering on a product CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 5
M EU – Chemical Safety Report – CSR – REACH Authorisation decisions – Triton X-100 – Ortho-clinical-Use1 REACH and RoHS Conversations 0
M Informational EU – Minutes of the 24 July 2019 SCHEER Working Group on safety of breast implants in relation to anaplastic large cell lymphoma (BIA-ALCL) meeting Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M EMC Directive and product safety standards CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
S Safety Class A with no test? IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 1
M Informational MDCG 2019-9 Summary of safety and clinical performance A guide for manufacturers and notified bodies – August 2019 Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
D Requirement of Pharmacovigilance (Drug Safety) Risk Based Strategic and Tactical Audit Plan General Auditing Discussions 0
M Informational Several US FDA draft guidances, including some specific device guidances for the Safety and Performance Based Pathway Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational USFDA final guidance – Safety and Performance Based Pathway Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational Medical Device Safety Action Plan: Protecting Patients, Promoting Public Health Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
S System safety assesment Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 0
M Informational TGA Consultation: Proposed changes to medical device essential principles for safety and performance Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
rezayatmand IEC 60601-2-18 Medical electrical equipment - Part 2-18: Particular requirements for the basic safety and essential performance of endoscopic equipmen IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
B Evaluation of Basic Safety during EMC Immunity or Climate Testing IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 0
P Is there a counterpart to the General Safety and Performance Regulations for the USA? Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
M Informational The US FDA is Recommending Transition to Duodenoscopes with Innovative Designs to Enhance Safety: FDA Safety Communication Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
D Summary of safety and clinical performance in GSPR MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 2
A ISO/TS 22163 Item 5.2.4 Safety policy - Example wanted Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 2
M Informational US FDA draft guidance – Testing and Labeling Medical Devices for Safety in the Magnetic Resonance (MR) Environment Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
D Electrical Safety During Medical Device Development IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
M Informational US FDA Final guidance – Postmarketing Safety Reporting for Combination Products Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational EU draft act – Single-use medical devices – safety and performance requirements for reprocessing Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational TGA – Advertising health products: Rules about safety claims in advertising Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational MHRA guidance updated to reflect the mDR – Clinical investigations of medical devices – Biological safety assessment Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
R Material safety data sheet (MSDS) related clause in IATF 16949 manual IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 17
S Implementing a 45001 Health & Safety standard - Internal audit plan wanted Internal Auditing 1
CPhelan Using clinical trial safety data for evidence for CE marking EU Medical Device Regulations 7
I Functional Safety Analysis/Report Example IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
M Routine testing of medical electrical systems - What specific electrical safety tests should be performed? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 5
M Informational Health Canada launches consultations to improve the safety of medical devices Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Interesting Discussion Curious old drawings about electrical shock and safety IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1