Use of Trichloroethylene and Spirit to Clean SS Parts used in Orthopedic Surgery

mpfizer

Involved In Discussions
do u know if in EU u are allowed to use trichloroethylene and spirit to clean ss parts used in orthopedic surgery like screws , nails, joints etc which go into humna body?

is there any alternative to these ie trichloroethylene and spirit and which is allowed for use .

if the above two are used how can one ensure that there are no traces left on the product after cleaning ?

michelle

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
Re: Is anyone using GreenCut Cutting Fluid

do u know if in EU u are allowed to use trichloroethylene and spirit to clean ss parts used in orthopedic surgery like screws , nails, joints etc which go into humna body?

is there any alternative to these ie trichloroethylene and spirit and which is allowed for use .

if the above two are used how can one ensure that there are no traces left on the product after cleaning?
I know this is an old thread but can anyone help with this question? It might help someone in the future. My Thanks in advance!

AndyN

Moved On
I thought the use of trichloroethylene was banned quite a few years ago, now, in the EU. I remember using a solvent bath and they've all been removed, due to the evaporation which depletes the ozone layer and is thought to be a carcinogen.

See here: Wikipedia reference-linkTrichloroethylene

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
I thought maybe that was the case. I haven't hear of any place using it for many years, but you never know what the situation is in other countries.

J

JaxQC

I can’t answer about the allowed portion but the second question has two parts. One is Cytotoxicity which is looking at the amount of cell lysis and you go for a score or < 2 on a 0-4 scale. The second is a Removability test. You give the lab a sample of the material in question plus a cleaned part. They do an IR on the material and then compare it to the extraction from the part sample to see how much of that particular material is present. You then do a second or even a third extraction (2-3 tests). The reason why is that you are looking for efficiency or how well the extraction pulled the sample off the part. If you “pull” off a high amount on the second test then there was still plenty left and you shouldn’t trust the validity of the first set of numbers idea.

The standard does not dictate the level of removability but it does lay out a minimum for 75% extraction efficiency. The min requirement a pretty big path you could drive a truck through. Personally I look for >90 or wonder why I’m getting the results I am. There are different methods for doing the extraction so if the results are good extraction but poor amount left over – look at better cleaning method. If the extraction efficiency is poor then have the lab loot at a different media (water/ultrasonic vs solvent) for the extraction. With supplying a MSDS with the sample I’ve never had them not pick the a good method.

Hope this helps.

Top Bottom