Useful PC software utilities let's share some info?

W

WALLACE

These utilities are all freebies,
I've used them for some time now.

www.7-zip.org You just can't say no to a free zip file prog

www.ccleaner.com This is just great, it's way better than window washer (updates are available almost weekly)

www.hoverdesk.net This has a couple of usefull progs that are just too helpfull, screen capture and reg seeker are the most popular

www.irfanview.com This is probably the best image viewer I have used to date

http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/ This is a neat little virus scanner from McAfee (updates are available regularly)

Wallace.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
Freebies galore

I'll second the motion on Irfanview--it's one of the best freebies out there. Make sure to also download all of the available plug-ins for it as well. Here are some of my favorites. With a couple of exceptions I'm not posting URLs; you can Google them and find them easily.

Password Safe--an excellent little password manager that generates "strong" passwords and makes them easily available when needed.

Open Office--an open-source office suite that's compatible with MS Office files, and allows for creating .pdf files.

Easy Office--another MS Office alternative that is, in some ways, more friendly with MS Office files than Open Office.

Gadwin Print Screen--as its name suggests, a screen-printing utility that allows the user to select which part of the screen to print, and will output both to the clipboard and to an image file, such as .jpg.

Disk Cleaner--an excellent and fast utility for cleaning up temp files, internet tracks, etc.

Startup Control Panel--a utility that creates a Control Panel that makes it easy to see what's loading at startup, and stop those programs that you don't want to load from doing so.

Page File Monitor--a tiny applet (72kb) that shows how much virtual memory is being used during any given session. This is useful in determining whether you might benefit from adding physical RAM. It may be found at http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_pagefilemon.htm. You can also find a lot of other useful Win XP stuff there.

Everest--may be found at [size=-1]www.lavalys.com. It's a utility that will tell you just about everything you could possible want to know about your computer's innards--hardware, drivers, RAM, motherboard details, you name it.

That's a good start. I'll post more to this thread as they occur to me.
[/size]

W

WALLACE

I'm looking for a free utility that would perform a deep scan for rogue files associated with trojans and key loggers.
I currently use AVG, Sygate and JV16 tools: I think :rolleyes: my system is good yet, I do get an uneasy feeling now and then about system integrity :frust:
Peace of mind would be a nice place to be in ;)
Wallace.

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
WALLACE said:
Belarc advisor found at www.belarc.com gives a system profile overview of everything that's running and installed on your PC.
Wallace.
Belarc Adviser is good, but the aforementioned Everest does just about the same thing, and much faster. Belarc offers more details about installed software (as opposed to running programs).

Keyloggers are tough because they hide themselves so well, and there are so many different varieties. If you suspect that one has been installed on your system, use of any tool, free or not, won't necessarily rule anything out, or confirm anything. The best way to stay away from them is make sure your computer is secure from other direct users, and as always, be careful what you download. Never open e-mail messages you're not expecting, even if they're from someone you know, and keep your AV software current.

W

WALLACE

I know what you mean,
My son (God bless him) was downloading (Stuff) and got hit with a trojan.
Well I didn't trust his system, so I formatted the drive and re-installed XP pro again.
We're getting into times when system integrity and privacy are an illusion.
Wallace.

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
WALLACE said:
We're getting into times when system integrity and privacy are an illusion.
Reinstallation of the OS is a drastic measure, and should only be done as a last resort. Most viruses, trojans and worms are easily eradicated, but not by users who haven't taken the time to learn about what they're doing. Proliferation of malware is facilitated greatly by careless users. I'm confident that my system is secure, but it didn't get that way by itself, nor will it stay that way without ongoing vigilance.

While we're on the subject of privacy, here are a few more freebies:

Spybot Search and Destroy and Adaware--programs that scan your system for spyware and adware, and like anti-virus software, must be regularly updated. There's also Microsoft Anti-Spy offered free in a beta version from our friends in Redmond, and the indications are that it will remain free after its production release. It's always best to have and regularly run more than one of these, because none of them will always find everything.

W

WALLACE

I purge my systems at least twice a year as, I tend to run my systems rough; due to my programming and development phases of software development.
I can find a Trojan easily but as you know, they replicate in so many files and partitions, it's almost a no-win situation.
There is such an upsurge in programs that have legal spy ware attached that, I am consumed by analyzing source code to verify the existence or absence of spy ware.
I reviewed a software recently that had a key logger attached and, when I confronted the developers, they quite simply said that, it was their standard format for gaining information about their users.
Wallace.

G

Greg B

WALLACE said:
I'm looking for a free utility that would perform a deep scan for rogue files associated with trojans and key loggers.
I currently use AVG, Sygate and JV16 tools: I think :rolleyes: my system is good yet, I do get an uneasy feeling now and then about system integrity :frust:
Peace of mind would be a nice place to be in ;)
Wallace.
Hi Wallace,

I have been using the following to protect my PC for 2 years and have had NO problems. I have been on Broadband for 4 months and again NO problems.

Kerio Firewall - I was amazed at how much stuff tries to get thru to my PC
Spybot - Detects and cleans spyware
AVG - Antivirus
Registry First Aid - Great for cleaning your Registry

I am sorry that I could not get links but I am at work and they are blocked.

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
Greg B said:
Registry First Aid - Great for cleaning your Registry
You don't say what Windows version you're using, but if it's XP or any other NT derivative, cleaning your registry is more likely to cause trouble than anything else. There is no reliable empirical data to support the efficacy of registry cleaners. They can be helpful if you're looking for specific entries, but Regedit, already included with Windows, can do that. If you're using a Win 9x OS (ME, 98,95) they might be helpful, but the registry has to be really messed up before you're notice any difference.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
qualprod Criteria % to be useful in establishing Kpis ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
T MDR Guidance Book - Useful for MDR transition? EU Medical Device Regulations 1
B Useful guidance documents for standards Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 2
M Harmonized EN 60601 Z Annexes are Not Useful IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 0
Sidney Vianna Are the TC 176 Documents on Risk Based Thinking useful to you? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
A Is MSA useful to prove a Measurement System after Relocation? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
T Are GRE words useful in American daily life? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 19
S Medical Device Regulations Worldwide - Useful Whitepaper Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 3
S Is ISO 50001 Certification useful for an Auto Components Manufacturer? Sustainability, Green Initiatives and Ecology 7
C Internal Auditing - How to make it useful? Internal Auditing 36
M Some useful information about the latest PPAP version - PPAP 4th edition APQP and PPAP 1
Q Use As Is, Repair, Rework - Useful when categorizing? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
R What is a Z Value/Factor and where is it most useful? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
Antonio Vieira Quality Councils - Do they still exist? Are they useful? Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 5
M Useful Air Quality Tool for Livestock - US Air Quality Site Assesment Tool Sustainability, Green Initiatives and Ecology 2
Mikilk B-GMP Audit (Anvisa Brazil) - Checklist in English or other useful documents wanted Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 6
AnaMariaVR2 What online communities are useful to your career? Career and Occupation Discussions 12
R Is it useful to adapt PFMEA's with nonconformances? FMEA and Control Plans 4
I Is IEC/TR 80002-1 Risk Management useful? Software Quality Assurance 2
S Sharing information on useful web sites Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 30
Q ISO 9001 Standard: Useful to Certify a Soccer Club? Examples... ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 45
Howard Atkins ISO 3591 - Sensory analysis - Wine tasting glass - At last a useful ISO standard Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
A Wouldn't it be useful......... ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 27
S Internal Audits not performed - Useful data from internal audit schedule Internal Auditing 31
Z What useful Process Performance Metrics can you recommend? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
S Are Pp and Ppk more useful than Cp and Cpk as a benchmark for further studies? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
S Getting the Right Things Done - A useful way to apply Pareto analysis The Reading Room 1
ScottK What is the useful life for a good 0-1" digital micrometer? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 7
M Is SPC (Statistical Process Control) useful? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 72
M Is ISO 9001 training provided useful? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 14
M Thermocouple/Furnace Gage R&R - I have yet to find a useful method Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 8
M 8D problem solving useful only in "cause unknown" situations Nonconformance and Corrective Action 20
L Useful Foreign Languages - Which 'foreign' language would you choose? Career and Occupation Discussions 54
A Is it really useful to implement EN 9100 in small companies (3 people)? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
A Need help with creating useful, interesting and good internal web site about QMS!!! After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 5
Q How useful is the ISTO Certificate - International Standardized Testing Organization ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
Sidney Vianna A useful Guide to communicate the value of your EMS to external stakeholders Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 1
D Which designation is most useful? Design and Development of Products and Processes 0
C Useful Link (Dti) Department of Trade and Industry (UK) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
C Useful Support Documents ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
G I need a way to measure PPM that will provide a useful tool for benchmarking Benchmarking 9
D Introductory Statistics - Websites that I hope you'll find useful Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
T Aircraft GAPP Software Testing Compliance Question AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
Q Training Matrix Software Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 1
I SaMD Software bug and issue tracking. Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
MaHoDie Where to show the Software version IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 2
W Looking for IATF 16949 (and ISO 17025) QMS software Suggestions Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 8
9 ECi M1 Software Consultants in Ohio Manufacturing and Related Processes 0
T SaMD or Software system? EU Medical Device Regulations 2
I Registration of MD software IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 0