Useful Tips what to look for as new Leader of Quality Department

Randy

Super Moderator
Butter Bars! The senior officers would give the rookie ensigns a tough time (In good spirited way though) Although senior officers ran things if you wanted ground truth find the highest ranking enlisted person working on the project. Thats who actually had to make it work.
And it was the lowest ranking people that knew how it actually worked. Retired Army 4-Star James Thurman (a good old Oklahoma boy I worked for when he was a 1-Star) had a regular habit of talking with the E-1's thru E-4's and just asking how things were and what could be better (amazing how what they said differed from the E-5's thru E-9's and O-1's thru O-6's). He'd introduce himself as "Jim" to the lower ranks and General to all the others. That's a style of leadership almost totally void today everywhere.

Last edited:

gakiss2

Registered
Butter Bars! The senior officers would give the rookie ensigns a tough time (In good spirited way though) Although senior officers ran things if you wanted ground truth find the highest ranking enlisted person working on the project. Thats who actually had to make it work.
I don't have any military experience myself but years in Manufacturing taught me that you listen to those who get the work done and I suppose that is analogous to "
highest ranking enlisted person working on the project.
I am starting a new 'Leadership' role myself in a week or so. Time to see how good I am at taking my own advice.

optomist1

A Sea of Statistics
Super Moderator
Getting your bearings, the lay of the land etc., is crucial, beyond that much success depends on one's intestinal fortitude, force of personality

Michael_M

Trusted Information Resource
The only thing I will add: Don't try to change to system to meet your demands until you understand the full system that is in place. There is a reason (maybe a good reason, maybe not) that system is in place and if you walk in trying to change the world, that is how you will lose support right from the get go.

Miner

Forum Moderator
Leader
Admin
The only thing I will add: Don't try to change to system to meet your demands until you understand the full system that is in place. There is a reason (maybe a good reason, maybe not) that system is in place and if you walk in trying to change the world, that is how you will lose support right from the get go.
Live the process for 6 months before making any changes. Ask the people involved (who have been around long enough) WHY we do it that way.

Top Bottom