User Manual Release before CE Mark

JoCam

Trusted Information Resource
Hi All,

Can the User Manual and Brochure for a class IIa medical device be distributed to potential customers before the medical device itself has received CE Mark?

Jo

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Pads38

I think that situation may be covered by Article 4, Clause 3.
These devices shall not bear the CE marking.

3. At trade fairs, exhibitions, demonstrations, etc. Member States shall not create any obstacle to the showing of devices which do not conform to this Directive, provided that a visible sign clearly indicates that such devices cannot be marketed or put into service until they have been made to comply.
So - it's OK but you will need an explicit statement that the device is not yet CE marked.

JoCam

Thank you Pads 38,

I know it cannot be displayed on the product itself, and it is common sense that the associated literature should follow suit, but does it actually state anywhere the same rule for the literature? It is all very obvious to me, as you should in no way mislead potential customers as to the status of the device, but as ever, I need evidence.

Thank you again,

Jo

Mark Meer

I know it cannot be displayed on the product itself, and it is common sense that the associated literature should follow suit, but does it actually state anywhere the same rule for the literature? It is all very obvious to me, as you should in no way mislead potential customers as to the status of the device, but as ever, I need evidence.
Wait... you're asking about just distributing the literature?

I don't see how this could possibly be an issue because, of course, the literature is not a medical device. As Pad38 says, just be upfront about the status of the device (i.e. the device presented in this literature is not yet available for sale in the EU).

We send out literature on up-coming devices to interested distributors all the time. I don't think it's anything you have to worry about...

MM

shimonv

I believe sending literature on up-coming device is different than user manual for a device not yet approved. It could be misleading if the final manual might be different that the preliminary version. To be on the safe side I would send the manual with a 'Draft' watermark and no symbols of CE mark + NB number.

Shimon

Avraham Harris

Involved In Discussions
Hi all,
I tend to agree with Pad38 and ShimonV that a CE marked user manual is misleading and may not be distributed prior to CE mark.

Mark, while true that the User manual is not a device, it refers to a device, and if it seems to indicate that that device is CE-marked prior to actual conformity assessment (or DoC), then this is illegal. Moreover, one could not claim that the manual is not a device, because then the CE mark could not be placed on it (EU regulations do not allow CE to be placed on something that is not *subject* to CE mark - see bottom of https://ec.europa.eu/growth/single-market/ce-marking_en)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M User manual / instructions for use for class II device always required? Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 3
K EU MDR Art. 22 - Device + insertion pack - User manual and Labeling EU Medical Device Regulations 4
shrutisancheti EU User manual / operator manual / service manual guidance document(s) CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
J TOPCON PP-70 Optical Comparator - User Manual Needed General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0
M China Medical Device Requirrements - User Manual Information China Medical Device Regulations 2
P Modification to Medical Device User Manual Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
G Help with an old Spectrum 1000BX FTIR unit - User Manual wanted Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
E Micro-Vu Inspec Software User Manual Needed Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 1
J Packaging and User Manual for Medical Device and Accessory CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
N User Manual Content Requirements and EMC information ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
W Do I have to review the User Manual? Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
shimonv Requirement for a Printed Copy of the User Manual with a Medical Device US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
H Spelling Errors in User Manual (IFU) for Medical Device ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 13
K How to Write a User's Manual for Peachtree - Seeking help Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
C Indications for Use vs. Intended Use in User Manual 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 7
S Procedures and/or Work Instructions for New User Manual? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
K Starrett RGC4040-24 CMM User and Installation Manual General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
N The 'user-friendly' Quality Manual ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
N Is it compulsory to print the CE mark on our software & user manual CD-ROM EU Medical Device Regulations 3
K User Manual and Label Language Requirements ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
D Looking for a Gigatronics 610 User's Manual or Service Manual or both General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
K Apogee V2.5 User Manual Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 0
P Equipment 21 CFR 820.70(g) - User Requirements Document for Off the shelf equipment 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 7
S Forced ServiceNow validation - No change in our current user and functional requirements IT (Information Technology) Service Management 6
D Software User Interface Languages for LVD and IVD CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
Q User Requirement Specification for HR (Human Resource Management System) Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
P Electrosurgical Device User Need: Cord Flexibility -> Requirement Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 4
S Recommendation for user friendly Gaga R&R and Cpk software Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 10
B ISO 11607-1 for surgical instruments sterilized by end user Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
D Do User Manuals (Not Device Labeling) HAVE to be in their national languages for these countries? Will English Hardcopy not do? EU Medical Device Regulations 12
A Cassette Representation - GUI (Graphical User Interface) on my medical device - A mammography Device Other Medical Device Related Standards 0
R Medical device software without user interface Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 3
F EUDAMED UDI Medical Devices User's Guide Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 6
M Informational US FDA Medical Device User Fee Rates for Fiscal Year 2020 Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
G Posting Measuring Equipment Accuracy for User Information General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
M Does ISO 13485 or MDR require you to state the origins of customer requirements or user needs? Design and Development of Products and Processes 2
V Sequence of performing risk assessment: User_FMEA (User Errors) vs Design Inputs FMEA and Control Plans 1
Ed Panek Splitting UI (User Interface) into two development paths 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
R Publication of user information in manufacturer website for medical devices Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2
Ed Panek User Feedback both negative and positive and acting upon those metrics 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
P Detection rating for a user (surgeon) related failure mode in DFMEA APQP and PPAP 3
Marc Search - Search for Discussion Threads started by a specific User Elsmar Xenforo Forum Software Instructions and Help 0
Marc Search for Posts - By specific User Name(s) Elsmar Xenforo Forum Software Instructions and Help 1
M Digital user manuals CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 0
Marc User Agents of Forum Visitors - 6 November 2018 Forum News and General Information 0
Marc User Post Counts - 20181101 Elsmar Cove Forum Suggestions, Complaints, Problems and Bug Reports 0
Marc Forum User Name - I Want to Change my Forum User Name Elsmar Xenforo Forum Software Instructions and Help 0
Marc 9 September 2018 - Upcoming User Group Changes Forum News and General Information 1
D How to deal with user needs when it is obvious the design meets the user need 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
shrutisancheti Upgrading medical device at healthcare establishments (user facility) 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3