Using a "broken" measurement device in a TS 16949 company - Optical comparator

D

danno101

In a TS 16949 calibration system, is it allowable to continue to use broken measuring equipment? We have an optical comparator that is used to measure parts and tooling. It is calibrated yearly by a 17025 certified cal house.

What actions are needed to take for this condition? What is the unit is found to be out-of-calibration after repairs?

The floor supervisors do not see any risk involved with using it. How can I present an argument against their position?

howste

Thaumaturge
Trusted Information Resource
It would be allowed only if the functions being used are still working, are calibrated, and are reliable.

Can you describe what's broken?

D

danno101

Hi. The y-axis is jumping all around. The repair technician said (over the phone) that someone probably damaged it.

howste

Thaumaturge
Trusted Information Resource
Then I wouldn't use the y axis without repair. If you need to convince someone that it's unreliable perform a gage R&R and it will show how poorly suited it is for the tolerances being measured.

BradM

Leader
Admin
I cannot speak towards the TS16949 aspect, but as a general rule...

But if you have a piece of calibrated (or qualified) piece of equipment and there is a known issue with it, that equipment should be caution-tagged at the very least. What if someone comes up and uses it, records data, and that axis measurement gives them incorrect data?

Or, depending on your local procedures, you can assess and tag the equipment for a limited calibration. So they could you it for X and Z axis measurements, but not Y axis measurements.

However, there should still be a risk assessment made. There is no guarantee that 'whatever' knocked the Y axis out of alignment, didn't happen to the X and Z axis also.

Top Bottom