Search the Elsmar Cove!
**Search ALL of Elsmar.com** with DuckDuckGo including content not in the forum - Search results with No ads.
  • Google has changed ad sizes for some reason. I am investigating and will get the sizes reduced to what they have been until now. I apologise for the inconvenience.

Interesting Topic Using a Wiki to implement a Quality Management System (QMS)

M

mmagargee

I am curious...could someone who actually uses this approach, please tell me the advantage of this approach over a read-only folder of PDF or read-only DOC files. It would seem that is simpler? I am interested to know what advantages actual users see.
Regarding advantages. I find that the bane of educated people is taking the time to keep records, it's always like pulling teeth. So finally, we can place our procedures into wiki pages and after every edit, voila, a revision history is automatically kept. Add simple workflows, and approvals can now be granted without a person (me) walking door to door with a paper and pen in my hand.

M

mmagargee

And I forgot one of the biggest advantages. There is no more, "Where do I find that document?" The wiki is content searchable, or any department can build links to quickly navigate to documents.

Helmut Jilling

Auditor / Consultant
Regarding advantages. I find that the bane of educated people is taking the time to keep records, it's always like pulling teeth. So finally, we can place our procedures into wiki pages and after every edit, voila, a revision history is automatically kept. Add simple workflows, and approvals can now be granted without a person (me) walking door to door with a paper and pen in my hand.

Placing the docs into a wiki for accessibility would seem to be about even with placing the PDF files into a easy-to-access folder titled "Procedures." But, if it allows approvals to be more automated, you might have an advantage there. I generally recommend companies simplify the approval process to the minimum few.

M

mmagargee

"Placing the docs into a wiki for accessibility would seem to be about even with placing the PDF files into a easy-to-access folder titled "Procedures." "

Heh, Heh. You would think so. But there are some people who think the QMS is that thing over there somewhere. ...Where is it again?...I could put a directory link on a television in the break room, and I am positive that I would still get the question, "where is that again?" Our QMS is now integrated with the companywide wiki that also houses knowledge management, and users will have multiple means of locating documents.

Helmut Jilling

Auditor / Consultant
yeah, can't argue that... I would certainly agree if there is a company-wide wiki, the QMS / EMS / Safety etc stuff should clearly be a part of it...

And I also agree with the statement in the linked article that any electronic system should begin with ONE copy of a document or a draft. Quit sending dozens of uncontrolled attachments around your company. Learn to send links and keep all work centered on a single, common document.

Thanks for the input, guys...

Helmut Jilling

Auditor / Consultant
I have sometimes used the example of the Star Trek ship's computer as the ultimate example of document and information control. There in one computer resides all the wisdom of the ages, all the knowledge and history of every civilization, all in one place, controlled and accessible by voice command... back then it seemed pretty awesome...now we call it the internet...who knew.

But, our doc control methods and concepts are still rooted in an era where we typed it on a IBM Selectric with 2 carbon pages and had a manager sign all three copies to authenticate them. Clearly, we need to move our methods more toward the Star Trek model and away from the carbon paper methods.

I teach a one day class of Principles of Doc Control. I will have to look into the wiki concept more... thanks again...

A

amirh

Hi

I was very impressed by this thread.
My company is in the process of defining its QMS system and there is a debate regarding documents review and approval, especially product related documents covered by ISO-9001 section 7.3.7: Control of design and development changes:

Design and development changes shall be identified and records maintained. The changes shall be reviewed, verified and validated, as appropriate, and approved before implementation. The review of design and development changes shall include evaluation of the effect of the changes on constituent parts and product already delivered. Records of the results of the review of changes and any necessary actions shall be maintained (see 4.2.4).
I was wandering if such documents can also fall under the "self-approval" approach as suggested by Geometrica, or those documents should be explicitly reviewed and approved in a different process.

Helmut Jilling

Auditor / Consultant
Hi

I was very impressed by this thread.
My company is in the process of defining its QMS system and there is a debate regarding documents review and approval, especially product related documents covered by ISO-9001 section 7.3.7: Control of design and development changes:

I was wandering if such documents can also fall under the "self-approval" approach as suggested by Geometrica, or those documents should be explicitly reviewed and approved in a different process.
Whatever methods you defined for 7.3.1 through 7.3.6 should be sufficient for 7.3.7. It is the same process, you are just making changes to documents already approved.

Top Bottom