Interesting Discussion Using a Wiki to implement a Quality Management System (QMS)

M

mmagargee

Thanks, keldez. I see it on the marketplace. The ability to use formulas directly in Confluence tables looks promising--I'll give it a try.

keldez

Involved In Discussions
Thanks Pancho,
I'll take this into consideration. Our bandwidth is pretty limited at the moment to achieve the level of detail you apply to your training. Unfortunately with 5 employees scattered all over the nation, we are almost solely reliant on our electronic system, with our software lead keeping the server at his location. My goal is to hopefully apply training (in terms of document release/revision) to the workflow process so an individual approves a document, I "bless" it to give it released status, and somehow have the workflow circle back around to the correct employess. Yearly reviews and new hire packages are important and will be developed at some point, but we are in our infancy and I'm having to pick my battles to get fundamentals down.

I may have answered this question while writing this. I may create a workflow dedicated to training only. I'll see what our software guru thinks about this in terms of the capabilities or interference with the main document control workflow. There's an aspect of "once you define your workflow, you are going to hate yourself if you have to adjust it later" with Confluence. If I find a home run way to integrate training within the wiki's workflows I'll share what I learn. Thanks!

keldez

Involved In Discussions
Thanks, keldez. I see it on the marketplace. The ability to use formulas directly in Confluence tables looks promising--I'll give it a try.

We ended up ditching this plug-in. Sorry for the up front optimism. We found it ran too slow, even with a blank spreadsheet with just a few cells filled in.
We are getting by with the Confluence based "Excel" macro. You may find you will run into Windows security issues when trying to edit. There are some adjustments you have to make in your windows registry so your OS will ignore the "threat" of Confluence. If you run into this, let me know, and I can post up the steps to get around this.

Q

QAnut2656

I had done something similar but on the sharepoint server throughout the company. Each person had their own profile page like facebook with organizational charts automatically done with contact information. It sure beat searching the shared drive for everything.

Pancho

wikineer
Super Moderator
What Makes an Organization Networked?

The author says it is a "small world network" that makes it so. But does not explain how that is achieved.

IMO, the small-world-network that he advocates can be thoroughly achieved through a wiki. The wiki empowers all individuals to break silo walls and contribute their expertise throughout the organization.

John Broomfield

Leader
Super Moderator
Thanks Pancho.

And he manages to say this:

"The most efficient networks are small-world networks, which have the almost magical combination of high clustering and short path lengths. So silos aren?t the issue?high clustering promotes effective collaboration?the trick is to connect the silos together effectively."

...without mentioning processes or wiki.

Perhaps he's saving those nuggets for his consulting.

G

gretzles

I've just discovered this discussion and I think I need to investigate more. Thanks to all the helpful posts.
I've been out of the industry for 6 years and I'm now implementing a new quality system. I'd like to use a tool like this from the start, but I'm not sure I'll have time to validate it before getting accredited,

Maybe we could start by using it for non quality system, so when we can implement it for document control I have a good idea of how best to use it.

Le Chiffre

Quite Involved in Discussions
Maybe we could start by using it for non quality system, so when we can implement it for document control I have a good idea of how best to use it.
That's a great approach. It's ideal if the users appreciate the value of an open collaboration tool and are totally comfortable creating and categorizing articles before adding the document control layer.
If you use a clean build of mediawiki and MySQL or similar combination that's well accepted then you're just validating your own implementation.

W

WALLACE

I've just discovered this discussion and I think I need to investigate more. Thanks to all the helpful posts.
I've been out of the industry for 6 years and I'm now implementing a new quality system. I'd like to use a tool like this from the start, but I'm not sure I'll have time to validate it before getting accredited,

Take a look at thebrain.com
Their EKP (Enterprise Knowledge Platform) is very suited to being the graphical database framework that may suit being the home for your QMS. The desktop to cloud sync capabilities and security is rather impressive.

Top Bottom