Using consultants for Internal Audits

normzone

Trusted Information Resource
If certified, isn't that the role of the CB auditor?

Nominally, and when the day arrives that I can rely wholly on my CB's assurances that we're golden is the day you can meet me on the beach, where I will be managing remotely.

AndyN

Moved On
Nominally, and when the day arrives that I can rely wholly on my CB's assurances that we're golden is the day you can meet me on the beach, where I will be managing remotely.

So, to your point, "bringing in outsiders once in a while would be a value add.." and they aren't doing that for you (and you're paying them), wouldn't that indicate an opportunity to improve how you manage the CB relationship (since they apparently haven't stepped up to the plate?)

Ninja

Looking for Reality
Trusted Information Resource
So, to your point, "bringing in outsiders once in a while would be a value add.." and they aren't doing that for you (and you're paying them), wouldn't that indicate an opportunity to improve how you manage the CB relationship (since they apparently haven't stepped up to the plate?)

IMO, there's a pretty fine line here...

CB auditor is certainly "outside eyes". They also bring knowledge of how other companies handle similar situations, to the degree they can share.

The fine line is between the CB role and a consulting role.

CB auditor verifies compliance or non-compliance but, as repeatedly vented here on the forum, should not take the role of consultant.

There is certainly value having outside eyes measure against a standard. There is also additional value having outside eyes make suggestions of how to do things differently...even to the extent of "You should...".

CB auditor can add some value. An outside Internal Auditor is in a position to add more. My thoughts anyways...

RCW

Quite Involved in Discussions
Can anyone suggest some "good" sources where to find consultants who perform internal audits for companies?

I'm an internal auditor in a small company and find myself getting in a rut, looking at the same things. It would be beneficial to have a new set of eyes to review things and I simply don't have the resources here to add on new auditors internally.

D

DRAMMAN

Probably any Quality system or ISO9000 consultant who helps companies implement Quality Systems would be able and willing to do them for you. I am the original poster of this thread. We have done several rounds of outsourcing the internal audits. The person who does them for us is familiar with our company as she has conducted other training over the years. She was not involved in setting up our QMS. The benefit is she comes in and does them in 2 days. She is experienced and conducts the audits professionally and consistently. Nice through reports. Then it is up to us to close out the corrective actions. The down side is she does not have a strong understanding of our processes so offering suggestions for improvement is difficult. For us it has been worth doing.

Top Bottom