Using external FDA and ISO 13485 audit as internal audit

bolesen

Starting to get Involved
We are scheduled for our annual internal audit in Q3 but have went through both a full FDA Audit and ISO 13485:2016 stage 1 and stage 2 certification audit earlier in the year.

Can we use these full audits to satisfy our Internal Audit schedule or do we still need to conduct a internal audit?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

blackholequasar

Involved In Discussions
I agree with @Marc - internal audits are your organizations continued responsibility. To be fair, a lot of times we've all sat through an ISO audit and have sighed some relief they didn't find a 'problem' with something we may have known internally to be an issue. Internal auditing is how you fix those issues, take responsibility for continued improvement, and grow the maturity of your quality systems. I wouldn't try to skimp on them, even IF you could use these to satisfy the responsibility. They're only of help to you and your organization. (Even if they're a bit tedious and sometimes difficult to find people to do! Haha)

bolesen

Starting to get Involved
I am new to quality management and I understand and agree, with the purpose and responsibility of internal audits and differences going forward.

But as a small PACS imaging software company the resources responsible for conducting our internal audits are the same resources involved in the external audits so ultimately we conducted internal audits in parallel with both the FDA and ISO audits.

So really wanted to know if there are any FDA or ISO requirements that we are not conforming to by using these audits as for our Quality Systems Internal Audit Schedule.

blackholequasar

Involved In Discussions
Per ISO 13485 8.2.4 - The organization shall conduct internal audits at planned intervals to determine whether the quality management system: a) conforms to planned and documented arrangements, requirements of this International Standard, quality management system requirements established by the organization, and applicable regulatory requirements; b) is effectively implemented and maintained

That is the responsibility of the organization, per ISO. If it was the responsibility of ISO to do that action, it would allow for it in the standard. But it does not. That's my take on it, anyway! I can respect what a pain it can be - especially in small organizations. But it would be an NC if the scheduled internal audits weren't done. If the company is too small and there is too much conflict, the other alternative is to hire someone from the outside to perform your internal audit. I've been at a company where this had to be done (we were only about 10 people strong at that time) and it was actually a tremendous help in assisting our QMS to mature further.

Watchcat

Trusted Information Resource
A key difference between external and internal auditors is that external auditors are auditing to serve someone else's needs; internal auditors are auditing to serve your needs.

bolesen

Starting to get Involved
Per ISO 13485 8.2.4 - The organization shall conduct internal audits at planned intervals to determine whether the quality management system: a) conforms to planned and documented arrangements, requirements of this International Standard, quality management system requirements established by the organization, and applicable regulatory requirements; b) is effectively implemented and maintained

That is the responsibility of the organization, per ISO. If it was the responsibility of ISO to do that action, it would allow for it in the standard. But it does not. That's my take on it, anyway! I can respect what a pain it can be - especially in small organizations. But it would be an NC if the scheduled internal audits weren't done. If the company is too small and there is too much conflict, the other alternative is to hire someone from the outside to perform your internal audit. I've been at a company where this had to be done (we were only about 10 people strong at that time) and it was actually a tremendous help in assisting our QMS to mature further.
Can you provide me with the contact info for the outside auditor you used? Or do you know of outside auditors you would recommend?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Is using ANSI/ASQ Z1.4-2008 the correct sampling plan to determine Pass/Fail of Apparel measurements? AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 4
A What are the pros and cons of using an audit software for internal auditing? General Auditing Discussions 4
Tagin Evaluating nonconformances for escalation using Bayesian methods? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
D Using non-conforming components even though the final assembly is conforming? Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
B Using Unreleased Documents & Process Maps for Internal Audit purposes ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
R Clause 7.7 Replicate, Recalibration and Intermediate checks using Artifact ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
Stoic Are any medical device companies using the 2011 FDA process validation guidance instead of GHTF/SG3/N99-10:2004? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
B Unit of Use DI (Device Identifier) - Products using the same device US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
A Using Arduino based sensors for Poke-Yoke Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
M Using your Manufacturer's ISO certification ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
Ed Panek Adverse Event Clinical Trial using a 510K approved Device Other US Medical Device Regulations 6
B Using non CE parts in a machine CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
G Gauge R&R on multiple dimensions using 3D measurement system Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 6
A Hospital IT expectations for connected medical device using WIFI Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 0
Proud Liberal Cp / Cpk on position using multiple MMC bonuses Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 2
D Using "Particle Size Standard" templates as gauges - How to avoid giving a gauge # while using for process control? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
J Class 1 Medical Device - Using a UPC over the UDI? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 0
I Reducing CE marking cost using manufacturer test reports CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 5
CPhelan Using clinical trial safety data for evidence for CE marking EU Medical Device Regulations 7
M Accredited Calibration Sevice Provider using computerized system to issue calibration certificate Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 3
M Accredited Calibration Sevice Provider using computerized system to issue calibration certificate General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
M Raw stock material testing discrepancy using an XRF (x-ray fluorescence) analyzer Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
Z Using FMEA for Knowledge Management FMEA and Control Plans 6
Sidney Vianna NASA to Develop a Novel Approach for All-Electric Aircraft Using Cryogenic Liquid Hydrogen as Energy Storage World News 2
S How many of you are using Robotic process automation for calibration lab management? ISO 17025 related Discussions 0
J Including Repeats in DoE using Minitab Using Minitab Software 5
S Legal Manufacturer FDA Reporting Obligations for Using New Contract Sterilization Site Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
John Predmore What size pinhole can be reliably detected using visual inspection? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 7
D I'm new in IMDS special using the IMDS application Manufacturing and Related Processes 8
John Broomfield Workplace by Facebook - Any other organizations using this collaborative tool? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 0
I Flatness - Rectangular part using the three jack method Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 10
JoshuaFroud How important is using the "correct" GMDN? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 5
A Overkill? Using the 3L5W tool on non-conformities Nonconformance and Corrective Action 3
M GD&T tolerance or band? Using a symbol like parallelism // Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 8
B Informational Expanded Gage R&R Analysis using Minitab Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 18
S Evaluating the possibilities of using qmswrapper or greenlightguru Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
P Is it possible to make an educated decision using a very very small sample size? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
V Using K-Factor(Tolerance Interval) Analysis for Design Verification Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
O Which is better - Quietly quit using a supplier or tell supplier? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 11
A Capability Analysis for Packaging Seal Strength with spec. >0.1 Kgf using Minitab Using Minitab Software 6
J Layered Process Audits using Kamishibai Board Process Audits and Layered Process Audits 3
Q How can you justify using a more accurate Pin Gage class? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 16
S Basic Dimension W/O using FCF Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
G How to compute or estimate a micrometer or caliper flatness using optical flat General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
rob73 Requirement for independent certification of device using an ISO 17025 laboratory EU Medical Device Regulations 2
R Who here is Using a Consultant for ISO 9001 Transition? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
S MSA on a process using different fixtures Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
B Gage R & R on Visual Inspection using the Cross Tabulation Method IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
J Using Complaint Rate to Update FMEA P.O.C ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 4
L UCL/LCL calculations using Sbar and sigma Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2