Using FMEA for Knowledge Management

RoxaneB

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
In what way?

We keep a "library" of our FMEAs, including a summary page of dates and topics so that people can look back at previous FMEAs if they so choose.

Mikey324

Involved In Discussions
I'm guessing you mean as a way to demonstrate conformance to ISO 7.1.6? If so, in my opinion:

i think FMEA is a good way to maintain operational knowledge. It doesn't, however, clearly show how the organization determined the knowledge necessary for its operation/products, or consider how to acquire additional knowledge if deemed necessary.

Not that it is ineffective, i could just hear a 3rd party auditor asking those questions. If those can be backed up with evidence, should be a nonissue.

tony s

Information Seeker
Trusted
It doesn't, however, clearly show how the organization determined the knowledge necessary for its operation/products, or consider how to acquire additional knowledge if deemed necessary.
Is there a requirement in ISO 9001:2015 to clearly show how knowledge are determined?

Sebastian

Really trusted?
Trusted
There is no better tool for maintaining product/process related knowledge than FMEA.
Unfortunately, I've seen a few FMEAs, but there was no knowledge inside.
Company representatives asked whether they submit it to their customers, always replied "No, because there is our know how". But maybe my sample size is too low and there are companies where it really works.

Mikey324

Involved In Discussions
Is there a requirement in ISO 9001:2015 to clearly show how knowledge are determined?
"
7.1.6 The organization shall determine the knowledge necessary for the operation of its processes and to achieve conformity of products and services.
This knowledge shall be maintained and be made available to the extent necessary.
When addressing changing needs and trends, the organization shall consider its current knowledge and determine how to acquire or access any necessary additional knowledge and required updates.

I was referring to this requirement. More so i suppose for "shall consider its current knowledge, and determine how to acquire or access...".

Sorry, maybe that makes more sense, I'm not always eloquently worded.

I'm not sure if this helps but we capture organizational knowledge in our Corrective, Preventive Action logs Aka "Lessons learned logs". Every time a corrective or preventive action is entered the FMEA is reviewed and determined if its necessary to change.

Top Bottom