SBS - The Best Value in QMS software

Using ROHS Components in Military Electronics Products

Q

quality24

We are a military contractor so we are not allowed to use Rohs compliant components is our assemblies. It is getting harder to find Non-Rohs compliant parts. The Military wants the lead in the solder and on the components. Thru hole components could be dipped in a solder pot with tin-lead solder. Surface mount components are a real problem. Does anyone know how their company deals with the military and aviation customers that require Non-Rohs components? Their concern is that tin solder is brittle and the tin whisker problem.

Does anyone have a system that in acceptable to the military that allow RoHs parts to be used in military products?

Last edited by a moderator:
Elsmar Forum Sponsor
C

CluPhone

Re: Using Rohs components in the military

Hmmm. Not to just give noise, but for what it's worth... medical, aerospace, and military all have the same issues... we all are struggling with keeping product up to pace and not having tin whisker formation.

Have you looked at conformal coatings and/or potting of your products??? May or may not help depending on your environment.

Any help out there for this one?

Q

quality24

I guess that is my question has any group come out and said you can use Rohs parts if you cover them with .005" of conformal coating or some other simple solution. I have never heard of an approval to use Rohs parts in the military or aviation industries. We produce parts for the military, commercial aircraft and medical.

C

CluPhone

Because the suppliers for parts provide RoHS compliant parts, the best we can do is install them, using lead based solder and/or conformal coatings.

I know the automotive industry has been successful in implementing RoHS compliant parts through conformal coatings and potting as they are not exempt. And their environment and duty cycles are not insignificant... In addition, the same vehicles and many of their components (engine controllers etc...) have been supplied for military use as well.

I know in some cases, the military has looked on industry to supply them a MTBF, backups or similar measures to ensure mission critical systems are available.

You may wish to ask your procurement officer for examples of some of these.

E

e006823

We've discovered that a good many manufacturers will provide SnPB finishes at a premium (money and lead time). Whenever possible we order those components.

When we're unable to find a SnPb finish component we explore other options (gold etc.). When all else fails we go back to the customer with a mitigation strategy and ask for a waiver to use the RoHs compliant part.

A good place to start is to implement a risk mitigation plan I'd suggest that you refer to the ANSI/GEIA -0005 series of standards for guidance. I'd also look at NASA's tin whisker page (http://nepp.nasa.gov/WHISKER/). they have a great deal of information on mitigation.

P

Pogi_

I guess the (maybe not the best) solution to your issue is to ensure you understand the very basic nature of the application of the product you are offering to the military market. Some military applications are not stringent and is short lived to require high reliability requirement. Some are actually sent to space or sent to extremes that may cause the part to expand and contract (TC and TS conditions) taking the perfomance and material integrity to the limit.

Also remember that ROHS is not only Pb free...it does require the max content value of elements / compounds that you can trace from the product mass.

If they say they cannot accept ROHS complaint products then you cannot go around and sell them what they tagged as "forbidden" or else you will be in trouble.

Also not all non-ROHS products are really expensive (most of them are really cheap due to the fact that the materials used to build them was once considered standard), it depends on what type of product you are selling.

If they trust you and want to build the business with you because you are the valued suppplier. I could suggest making a special agreement with your customer by material build and quality contract (more of a PPAP documentation with PSW or anything similar). Then lay out what you can and what you cannot do so that both sides understand your limitation then present it to them together with your TRIED AND TESTED solution. They will be happier this way rather than taking them to a standard loop hole technicality battle. They are the military, they dont give a D$#%! for anything complicated - keep it real and simple.

I hope this helps

D

David Hartman

I guess that is my question has any group come out and said you can use Rohs parts if you cover them with .005" of conformal coating or some other simple solution. I have never heard of an approval to use Rohs parts in the military or aviation industries. We produce parts for the military, commercial aircraft and medical.
Please note that tin whiskers flourish in low temperature environments (such as high altitudes/space), and that whereas conformal coat may slow down the growth, it will not prevent it. Over time in the correct low temp environments tin whiskers have caused electronic failures even on conformal coated PWA's. NASA continues to gather evidence of this.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Anyone using SiliconExpert Technologies Software for RoHS/REACH/CM RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 1
M MSA angle issue - Nylon parts using Aberlink 3D Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 0
D Question on using audit checklist ISO 13485:2016 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 12
J Using of CE marking - Two CE markings on the product CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 5
R Using R package to implement Bayesian phase I/II dose-finding design for three outcomes ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
S Defibrillator Protection applicability When using Multiple applied parts IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 0
P Using Zinc Plated Steel in a Cleanroom Other Medical Device Related Standards 3
J Incoming Inspection Records using Excel File ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
J Using ring gauges General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
M Load Cell Calibration using a totalizer on a flow meter General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0
P Can Neoprene be Cleaned Using Isopropyl Alcohol (IPA) Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
GreatNate Anyone using the Intellect QMS software? Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 1
chris1price Sterilization using beta radiation Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
M Using the phrase "herein referred to" Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
B Struggling with using the 5.6 version Ford Capacity Analysis Report APQP and PPAP 5
cnbrosa Study Type 1 on a CMM using a measuring support Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
rerusk1 MRB (Material Review Board) Process using MS Sharepoint or MS Teams Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
K 510k FDA review, will they accept Biocompatibility result generated using feasibility product lots? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 8
B AS9100D 7.1.5.2 Calibration or Verification Method using outside cal lab AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
U Medical Device CE Marking - Using a disposable bearing CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
D Calibration tolerance question using Pipettes Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 3
D Risk Analysis using Monte Carlo Simulation instead of Scoring and Heat Map Risk Management Principles and Generic Guidelines 2
W Using tailoring guidelines to tailor a QMS procedure ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
Y We found out we have been using a equipment without validation for past 4 years Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 6
D Using Laboratory Notebooks in R&D and Design and Development ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
C Importer shell game - Using a third party logistics provider (3PL) in the EU EU Medical Device Regulations 5
S Work performed in Canada on US patients using US device Canada Medical Device Regulations 1
S Is using ANSI/ASQ Z1.4-2008 the correct sampling plan to determine Pass/Fail of Apparel measurements? AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 4
A What are the pros and cons of using an audit software for internal auditing? General Auditing Discussions 7
Tagin Evaluating nonconformances for escalation using Bayesian methods? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
D Using non-conforming components even though the final assembly is conforming? Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
B Using Unreleased Documents & Process Maps for Internal Audit purposes ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
R Clause 7.7 Replicate, Recalibration and Intermediate checks using Artifact ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
Stoic Are any medical device companies using the 2011 FDA process validation guidance instead of GHTF/SG3/N99-10:2004? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
B Unit of Use DI (Device Identifier) - Products using the same device US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
A Using Arduino based sensors for Poke-Yoke Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
M Using your Manufacturer's ISO certification ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
Ed Panek Adverse Event Clinical Trial using a 510K approved Device Other US Medical Device Regulations 6
B Using non CE parts in a machine CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
G Gauge R&R on multiple dimensions using 3D measurement system Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 6
A Hospital IT expectations for connected medical device using WIFI Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 0
Proud Liberal Cp / Cpk on position using multiple MMC bonuses Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 2
B Using external FDA and ISO 13485 audit as internal audit Internal Auditing 6
D Using "Particle Size Standard" templates as gauges - How to avoid giving a gauge # while using for process control? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
J Class 1 Medical Device - Using a UPC over the UDI? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 0
I Reducing CE marking cost using manufacturer test reports CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 5
CPhelan Using clinical trial safety data for evidence for CE marking EU Medical Device Regulations 8
M Accredited Calibration Sevice Provider using computerized system to issue calibration certificate Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 3
M Accredited Calibration Sevice Provider using computerized system to issue calibration certificate General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
M Raw stock material testing discrepancy using an XRF (x-ray fluorescence) analyzer Manufacturing and Related Processes 7