Using SPC Control Charts to Reduce AQL Sample Size

T

Trisampson

Hi all,

Our company (a medical component manufacturer) utilizes "In-Process" inspections during the manufacturing process as well as an AQL lot acceptance ("Final") prior to shipping. We would like to reduce, or eliminate the AQL sample size based on the In-Process data. If we are using SPC, are there rules or references available to guide us in reducing the AQL sample size? One route is to use process capability statistics (such as a > 1.33 Cpk reduces the AQL index to 2.5).

Has anyone any recommendations on this?

Thanks in advance...

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
J

John Nabors - 2009

Trisampson-

Hi all,

One route is to use process capability statistics (such as a > 1.33 Cpk reduces the AQL index to 2.5).

Thanks in advance...
This is just one knuckehead's :2cents:, but I would be very skittish about this. It would be one thing if you were making Barbie clothes or birthday candles but in medical I would be very leery of loosening your AQL's.

What does your customer(s) think of this?

Regards -John

bobdoering

Stop X-bar/R Madness!!
Trusted Information Resource
Check your contracts - most customers specify a required final inspection AQL prior to shipping. However, proper SPC will help you pass those inspections, and minimize any sorts, which are a bigger drain on the till.:cool:

Steve Prevette

Deming Disciple
Staff member
Super Moderator
Hi all,

Our company (a medical component manufacturer) utilizes "In-Process" inspections during the manufacturing process as well as an AQL lot acceptance ("Final") prior to shipping. We would like to reduce, or eliminate the AQL sample size based on the In-Process data. If we are using SPC, are there rules or references available to guide us in reducing the AQL sample size? One route is to use process capability statistics (such as a > 1.33 Cpk reduces the AQL index to 2.5).

Thanks in advance...
One thing to consider is holding the AQL the same, but checking to see if you can drop from Normal to Reduced sampling.

Q

qualitytrec

One thing to consider is holding the AQL the same, but checking to see if you can drop from Normal to Reduced sampling.
I agree. Use the switching Procedures found in ANSI/ASQ Z1.4-2003. If things go poorly then you increase inspections if they go well you loosen them.

8. Normal, Tightened and Reduced Inspection

8.1 Initiation of Inspection.
Normal inspection will be used at the start of inspection unless otherwise directed by the responsible authority.

8.2 Continuation of Inspection. Normal, tightened or reduced inspection shall continue unchanged on successive lots or batches except where the switching procedures given below require change.

8.3 Switching Procedures.

8.3.1 Normal to Tightened.
When normal inspection is in effect, tightened inspection shall be instituted when 2 out of 5 or fewer consecutive lots or batches have been non-acceptable on original inspection (i.e., ignoring resubmitted lots or batches for this procedure).

8.3.2 Tightened to Normal. When tightened inspection is in effect, normal inspection shall be instituted when 5 consecutive lots or batches have been considered acceptable on original inspection.

8.3.3 Normal to Reduced. When normal inspection is in effect, reduced inspection shall be instituted providing that all of the following conditions are satisfied.

a.The precedinng 10 lots or batches (or more, as indicated by the note to Table VIII) have been on normal inspection and all have been accepted on original inspection; and

b.The total number of nonconforming units (or nonconformities) in the samples from the proceding 10 lots or batches (or such other number as was used for condition "a" above) is equal to or less than the acceptable limit number given in Table VIII (see 8.5). If double or multiple sampling is in use, all samples inspected should be included, not "first" samples only; and

c.Production is at a steady rate; and

d.Reduced inspection is considered desirable by the responsible authority.​

8.3.4 Reduced to Normal. When reduced inspection is in effect, normal inspection shall be instituted if any of the following occur on original inspection:

a.A lot or batch is rejected; or

b.A lot or batch is considered accptable under the procedures for reduced inspection given in 10.1.4; or

c.Production becomes irregular or delayed; or

d.Other conditions warrant that normal inspections shall be instituted.​
Hope this is helpful,
Mark

N

New to Quality

Hi! :bigwave:

I am new to Elsmar and I know this thread is a little old, but I am in a very similar situation at my company. We use a c=0 AQL with no heightened or reduced sampling plan for final inspection and typically our customers do not require a specific inspection process. We also do in-process inspections and are starting to collect the data electronically (yay!). The program we have can report the data in many ways, including process capability and control charts. We have found several processes with very high capability, but Quality does not know how to adjust inspection to this.

In the simplest terms, what I want to do is use the in-process inspection information and overall process capability to drive final inspection sampling in an easy to follow way. However, I'm a little stuck in the implementation of this. :confused:

Can I use a heightened/reduced sample size AQL plan using process data to switch instead of acceptance history? Or should I switch AQLs based on the process data (much easier since you only need one chart, but I don't think the acceptable quality level is really changing)? In any case, I am looking for a solution that has clear rules.

Thanks in advance if you can help me!

bobdoering

Stop X-bar/R Madness!!
Trusted Information Resource
I am new to Elsmar and I know this thread is a little old, but I am in a very similar situation at my company.
Welcome to the Cove! :D

Before we can help, we need some idea of what kind of processes you are trying to control. It helps us formulate more accurate response to your specific situation - and each situation is different - this is not a rubber stamp issue!

Another question, what kind of final inspection failure rate do you have now, and what is its affect? If you have significant reject rate, the first step of process control will be to get that first pass through rate to a very high percentage.

Last edited:
S

statuser

Hi, I read the statement "if Cpk> 1,33 then the AQL reduces to 2,5%." :confused:Can you explain how you get to this. I would expect that a Cpk has only 66 pppm defective which would be an AQL of 0,0066%

By the way does anybody knows how to design a sampling plan to guarantee a Cpk of 1,33, rather than quaranteeing an AQL of say 1%?

:thanx:

N

New to Quality

Hi again,

Thanks for the quick reply and sorry for the delayed response! The processes I am trying to control are primarily laser welding and cutting.

To start with a simple case: I have a process that is in control and has a process capability of 2.11 (measured over three lots). Over the past two years, we have rarely had any failures for this part and root causes have been addressed for these. Quality has continued to inspect at a .65 AQL since the process was developed regardless of process performance or inspection history.

Here are the paths I see for a case like this (and my thoughts on each)
1. Move to a higher AQL - this achieves the goal by reducing the sample size, but seems to be false since the accpetable quality level isn't changing from the customer perspective (although customer does not specify AQL and .65 was chosen internally). Also, I'm not sure what justification I would need for this...cpk, lot acceptance history?
2. Use a reduced sampling plan for AQL - this seems ideal because it maintains the AQL, but allows us to reduce sample size. My only issue with this is that it is only based on lot history not process performance and I am trying to encourage more emphasis on quality throughout the process instead of just a check at the end.
3. Make a new sampling plan - I want something that is statistically valid and easy to use. I'm thinking that quality could receive a lot of parts and a report with the control chart from the lot and the cpk.
- If there were any special causes of variation with a data point out of spec, quality would inspect 100%.
- If there were special causes of variation within spec limits, quality would inspect at a heightened level which they could look up on a simple chart.
- If the process is in control and the cpk is < 1.33 and > 1, inspect at normal level
- If process is in control and cpkk >1.33, inspect at reduced level.

Has anyone ever used a plan like I outlined in option 3? Is it valid to base final inspection sample size on an individual lot process performance?

Thanks!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J What SPC (Statistical Process Control) software is your company using? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 15
N SPC and Process Capability Using a Romer Arm Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
O Using SPC to determine overall Thread Quality Manufacturing and Related Processes 16
M Using the Chip Box and Sampling Bowl to Teach SPC Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 7
automoto SPC Software - Looking for recommendations (now using Gauss SPC v5.05) Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 2
L What to monitor using SPC in Metal Stamping industry Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
L Monitoring Gauge Accuracy throughout the year using SPC Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 12
C Web based SPC Analysis using PHP Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
T Using SPC for DOE - Just Curious Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
M SPC from Each Cavity? Small Plastic Parts using Injection Molding Machine Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
C Using SPC charts for Verification of Job Setups Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
H Using/Selling power banks with your product as a "mobile version" CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
cgaro62 Using internal audits as part of document reviews Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 20
R Select the 1 Supplier based on the Parts Durability from 6 Supplier Samples using Minitab Using Minitab Software 11
M MSA angle issue - Nylon parts using Aberlink 3D Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 0
D Question on using audit checklist ISO 13485:2016 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 20
J Using of CE marking - Two CE markings on the product CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 5
R Using R package to implement Bayesian phase I/II dose-finding design for three outcomes ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
S Defibrillator Protection applicability When using Multiple applied parts IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 0
P Using Zinc Plated Steel in a Cleanroom Other Medical Device Related Standards 3
J Incoming Inspection Records using Excel File ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
J Using ring gauges General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
M Load Cell Calibration using a totalizer on a flow meter General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0
P Can Neoprene be Cleaned Using Isopropyl Alcohol (IPA) Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
GreatNate Anyone using the Intellect QMS software? Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 1
chris1price Sterilization using beta radiation Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
M Using the phrase "herein referred to" Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
B Struggling with using the 5.6 version Ford Capacity Analysis Report APQP and PPAP 5
cnbrosa Study Type 1 on a CMM using a measuring support Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
rerusk1 MRB (Material Review Board) Process using MS Sharepoint or MS Teams Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
K 510k FDA review, will they accept Biocompatibility result generated using feasibility product lots? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 8
B AS9100D 7.1.5.2 Calibration or Verification Method using outside cal lab AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
U Medical Device CE Marking - Using a disposable bearing CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
D Calibration tolerance question using Pipettes Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 3
D Risk Analysis using Monte Carlo Simulation instead of Scoring and Heat Map Risk Management Principles and Generic Guidelines 2
W Using tailoring guidelines to tailor a QMS procedure ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
Y We found out we have been using a equipment without validation for past 4 years Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 6
D Using Laboratory Notebooks in R&D and Design and Development ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
C Importer shell game - Using a third party logistics provider (3PL) in the EU EU Medical Device Regulations 5
S Work performed in Canada on US patients using US device Canada Medical Device Regulations 1
S Is using ANSI/ASQ Z1.4-2008 the correct sampling plan to determine Pass/Fail of Apparel measurements? AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 4
A What are the pros and cons of using an audit software for internal auditing? General Auditing Discussions 7
Tagin Evaluating nonconformances for escalation using Bayesian methods? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
D Using non-conforming components even though the final assembly is conforming? Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
B Using Unreleased Documents & Process Maps for Internal Audit purposes ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
R Clause 7.7 Replicate, Recalibration and Intermediate checks using Artifact ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
Stoic Are any medical device companies using the 2011 FDA process validation guidance instead of GHTF/SG3/N99-10:2004? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
B Unit of Use DI (Device Identifier) - Products using the same device US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
A Using Arduino based sensors for Poke-Yoke Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
M Using your Manufacturer's ISO certification ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5