Using the narration feature in powerpoint as a training tool

N

Neil V.

Has anyone used the narration feature in power point as a training tool? I've played with it a little bit today and it looks fairly straight forward. Create a 5-20 slide show, add some narration, and let the learning begin....

I am thinking of using it in addition to our 'new employee orientation video', which only skims env. aspects, emergency action plan, emergency preparedness, control of wastes, etc.. The goal would be to cover these areas in more depth while freeing up a trainer from conducting the meeting.

Historically we've been weak in these training areas, for new hires and existing employees. I'm thinking this will be a low cost, non-time consuming, easy to disseminate step in the right direction.

Any thoughts or experience in this area is welcome. Also would be interested to hear what medium/format other companies are using to address this 'required' training. (We are a TS/ISO14001 company ranging from 80-150 emps, w/ significant seasonal turnover .) Thanks.

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
Powerpoint has sorta gotten a bad rap because it is so easy to do basic presentations in. But, like Word and Excel, Powerpoint has a lot of very nice features. I have to admit I've never really used most of them but I've used powerpoint a lot over the years and played with stuff like narration and slide times, effects and such.

I have a lot of basic training stuff in Powerpoint. I haven't need narration because of myself being the interface. Are you thinking of a Kiosk type of scenario?

N

Neil V.

Powerpoint has sorta gotten a bad rap because it is so easy to do basic presentations in.

Good point. I'm mindful of this.

I haven't need narration because of myself being the interface. Are you thinking of a Kiosk type of scenario?

The way I pictured using it was for a group of new hires, say 5 individuals. Our conference rooms are equipped with a computer and a nice projector. I/HR could sit them down, give an overview of what they are about to watch and hit play. The 'videos' could also be used for re-training existing employees. 10-15 minutes later someone comes back and either reviews or quizzes or asks for questions.

A little more background; currently the new hires don't recieve or receive very rudimentary instruction in ISO 14001 policies, OSHA requirements like MSDS, Lockout Tagout, and emergency preparedness.

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
I have used the narration capability, it can be a good thing.

My chief concern in these things is the inability to tell if the trainees are getting it, or even paying attention. That is why I would want to minimize this approach to the very basics, and use the one-on-one for training on how their activities are involved with the management systems. I find this most important in regulated training needs like Lockout Tagout.

B

Boscoeee

It is a great tool, I have used it off and on!

Unfortunately like many other tools it does not allow for the measure of competency.

Marc

Leader
My chief concern in these things is the inability to tell if the trainees are getting it, or even paying attention.
I know it's a bit more paperwork, but I always gave tests after the 'show' when I did training, and I made students complete daily and end-of-course evaluations of me. Even if it was a short training session of a few hours, student test and course evaluation form.

Unfortunately like many other tools it does not allow for the measure of competency.
That is never known until the person is in their job and actually doing it. Even passing a test does not ensure competency.

N

Neil V.

Thanks to everyone for your considerations. I am going to proceed with this. It seems like the best option for us right now.

Marc

Leader
The key to this is to get the thing done. I have some sets of powerpoint presentations which I used for training which I still sell. I'd be wise to go in and completely redo them and add narration. I bet I could sell a fair amount of them. But, lack of motivation on my part I guess.

Anyway, my point is I remember putting them together about 10 years ago. I sat here and had books scattered everywhere. I can't remember how many weeks it took me for all of them, but once they were done, that was pretty much it. With some tweaking now and again you'll have some very valuable material.

Have you thought of how much time you'll have to put into it and your ROI?

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
FWIW:
some of my clients are filming processes and procedures with digital cameras and creating their own training films. They have voiceover as a human goes through each step of the process - sometimes with slow motion or animation of what is happening in each step - often with closeups magnified to show detail. Those with workforces where English is not a primary language dub in the required language on the same film, suppressing the English narration.

One client carries it a step further and includes a self test (no record kept of the answers - the only record is the "competency" test described in the next paragraph) of four or five key questions followed by the correct answers with clips showing the step again from the original process.

An employee is declared "competent" when he can take a guide sheet (the storyboard for the training film with still photos from each step - kept at the work station where the process is performed) and perform the task under the eye of a supervisor who signs off on the competency. (Periodic retests are performed to assure retention of training and competence and to assure no unwanted "variation" appears.)

The CD or DVD is always available for review by any operator.

Primary advantage - basic process is demonstrated exactly the same way every time - no human variation from instructor to instructor.

Employees are encouraged to ask questions before, during, and after each viewing. The signout sheet includes a section for a written evaluation of each lesson. Alternately, comments can be verbal and recorded for employees who weren't capable of writing. Employees can stop, rewind, fast forward until they, personally, feel confident they know the material; otherwise, they are encouraged to ask for help without repercussion - nobody screaming, "Are you stupid?!".

My sole input to this existing method was to ensure safeguards to accommodate individuals so they were not discriminated against if they felt uncomfortable using this process and alternate instruction was available.

I thought this was a great way to deal with workforces which might be unlettered and functionally illiterate in reading and writing, but could follow pictorial and verbal instruction.

All used either a big screen TV with DVD player or small individual DVD players (about $99 each), NOT computers, reasoning most folks are not intimidated by TVs, but might be by computers. Using headphones and individual players, multiple folks could view screens of same or different processes, each at their own pace, while in the same training room or classroom..

Last edited:
N

Neil V.

The key to this is to get the thing done.

I have a plan of attack
  1. Set limits on the number of items I will cover
  2. Create an outline
  3. Keep it simple!
Tweaking can come later.

I bet I could sell a fair amount of them.

Just do it

Have you thought of how much time you'll have to put into it and your ROI?

Formally no, until now. In terms of pure lecture/talk time, I estimate narrated presentations will save between 0 and 9 hours per year (depending on whether or not we do ANY training or if we do a lectured ppt. presentation). A pretty low number, would probably take 4+ years to recoup this. However, we will be compliant, and will have a tool left for trainers to use indefinitely. The assumption I am going with is that the narrated training will be comparable to a trainer led course. Having said that, I feel the initial time investment is worth it.

Top Bottom