UV Absorption Test - What is it's purpose and what specifically is it looking for?

dore_m

Starting to get Involved
Hello. I'm new to this forum and it looks like I've found a great resource and community for future work....

My company is working on a catheter product that involves plastic, UV glue and needle. We notice that there is a common UV absorption test that needs to be done involving a wavelength range of 250 nm - 320 nm. This test is found in a number of standards, including ISO 8536-4:2010.

Does anyone know the purpose of this test? I mean, what specifically is it looking for?

-Dore

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
I

isoalchemist

Re: UV Absorption Test - What is it's purpose and what specifically is it looking for

:2cents:Can you provide a bit more information such as a reference for the testing. I've been out of the labs for too many years but I believe most plastics do not absorb in that range, but the additives would. It may be a "purity" check. At this point its just a guess.

Hershal

Metrologist-Auditor
Trusted Information Resource
Re: UV Absorption Test - What is it's purpose and what specifically is it looking for

This is also required under IEC 60601-1 and the -2-xxx series. It is looking for damage across the UV range that may occur to the instrument in question. There are additional standards where such radiation testing (and more than UV as well) is required, for example, a specific version of the test is required if a lab wants to have photobiological in the scope of accreditation.

Hope this helps.

Ronen E

Problem Solver

Hi,

It might be for detection of un-cured leftovers of UV curable adhesive.

Since the test is done on an extract solution, I believe it has little to do with the integrity of the infusion set itself.

Cheers,
Ronen.

dore_m

Starting to get Involved

Let me try to explain:

The plastic is PP and the needle is stainless steel, sourced from a catheter company. We used commonly used UV curable adhesive (I don't remember which), etc.

We have an official testing house that is telling us that our samples don't pass the test, yet we've sent a set from the same batch to another test house and passed without a problem. I'd have to get with one of more technical people to give more specifics.

-Dore

Ronen E

Problem Solver

Let me try to explain:

The plastic is PP and the needle is stainless steel, sourced from a catheter company. We used commonly used UV curable adhesive (I don't remember which), etc.

We have an official testing house that is telling us that our samples don't pass the test, yet we've sent a set from the same batch to another test house and passed without a problem. I'd have to get with one of more technical people to give more specifics.

-Dore
Hi,

If I had both test houses test reports in front of me, I might have been able to comment. Otherwise, it's just guesswork.

Sorry,
Ronen.

dore_m

Starting to get Involved

Ronen-

Thanks for your help. The other day, the official test house called us and just told us over the phone that we didn't pass. We're meeting with them tomorrow to try to get the test data.

But prior to sending our samples to the official test house, we sent to another for pre-confirmation. We have this report, and the curve basically looks like a line descending from (250 nm, 0.076) to (320 nm, .03). We also have the curve from 200nm to 800nm. It looks like an inverse square curve.

The official test house told us over the phone that our level was 0.13/250nm, but did not elaborate. We need below 0.1 to pass. We may not get a report from the official test house - but we can ask for information. Is there something in particular you would recommend?

Again, thanks for your help.

-Dore

Ronen E

Problem Solver

If there is only one report, I don't see where the problem is.

BTW, does the report you have on hand come from a qualified / accredited test house?

Please feel free to send me a private message if there are details you don't wish to expose.

Cheers,
Ronen.

dore_m

Starting to get Involved

Since I'm new to the forum, I can't yet send you a PM.....

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Specific Absorption Rate (SAR) Testing - What Standard to Use? Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
B Machine Shop Yield and Cost - Productivity, Yield and Absorption Performance Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
M How to monitor performance of AAS (Atomic Absorption Spectrometer) Equipment General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
R Surgical Sutures and Absorption - Break strength retention (BSR) properties ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
M Disinfection: Test recommended ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 0
H Microbiology count test failure Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
S AMS 2769 - weekly frequency test AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
S How to determine sample size to test when the acceptance criteria is x >= Standard value? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 7
Kevin Walters AS9100 and AS9120 AATT Course and Test AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
W Conducting an MSA Test on scales Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
T Lot Release Test and Certificate of Analysis 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 6
John Broomfield Construction Inspection and Test Plan Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 5
Z COVID-19 Antigen Test Kit (Self-test) Registration in Peru Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
R GearBox Test Bench Calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
N 60601-2-34 Electrosurgery interference Test IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 0
M Gage R&R automated test equipment Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
F Self-test minimum requirements IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 5
H Regarding the validity of EMC & Safety test reports without NABL & ILAC-MRA mark. CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
Z Implement methods of Round Robin test Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
D 62304 code review, unit test, integration test example IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 2
D DOD First Article Test Plan & Report Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
Stoic Details of Operational Qualification (OQ) test design for plastic extrusion processes, effect of material property noise, and GHTF/SG3/N99-10 US Medical Device Regulations 2
A Earth (ground) leakage current routine test IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
G Audit & Agreements for "Test Laboratory" Supplier? US Medical Device Regulations 4
G Developing our custom test methods and test equipment US Medical Device Regulations 5
K Looking for a tape to perform cross hatch test on powder coating parts Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 3
G Change Control for Test Samples Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
MaHoDie Summative Usability test Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 2
A Calibration of spring loaded test fixture General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
E Pressure vessels hydraulic test IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 0
C Spinal implant predicate device test results 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 0
S Statistical Test Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 0
Ed Panek Looking for Test Resource General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
R Microbiological test (USP61, USP62, USP71, ISO 11137.1, ISO11137.2) --- Testing flow chart Other Medical Device Related Standards 0
S Discussion on OBL and OEM test data for submission as per new EUMDR EU Medical Device Regulations 0
E Do I need test reports for all standards mentioned in my 510k application? Other Medical Device Related Standards 8
C DV/PV Test Part Storage IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
R Statistical Methods for comparing test and reference product equivalence for quality attributes US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
Vader22 5 Why RCA for failure to test Contingency Plan IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
S Knee-Patella wear test CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
L PFMEA for test procedures (ISO 14971) ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 5
A Direct vs. Post-License Investigational Test Authorization (ITA) Canada Medical Device Regulations 0
P Test Method Validation (TMV) for all Measurement Methods in Rec/Inspection Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
L AS9100 Section 8.4.2 - External provider test reports AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 10
E How to test 8.7.4.7 d) ? What "not protectively earthed accessible part" means? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
T ANOVA analysis to find F test. Using Minitab Software 3
P API Q1 - Monogram Product & API 4F - Proof Load Test Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 3
D Test Management Software Software Quality Assurance 1
B How to test operator to see if they can catch the defective parts? Manufacturing and Related Processes 8
G 60601-1 8.8.3. short circuit of both side during insulation test IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1