SBS - The best value in QMS software

UVC sterilizer CE Mark

Hello everybody,

I want to ask you about UVC sterilizer CE Mark. Which directive is used for confirmation of sterilization feature of this device for CE marking? We found a device and it has a CE mark but according to The EMC Directive 2014/30/EU. I think this doesn't comprise sterilization feature.

Thanks and regards.

Gizem

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Benjamin Weber

Trusted Information Resource
What does the device sterilize? If it is used to sterilize medical devices it is medical device itself and should comply with the corresponding medical device directive (MDD). Otherwise it should at least comply with the low voltage directive (LVD). Do you have the declaration of conformity? This should state the underlying directive and maybe also the standards which were applied to show compliance. For such sterilizer I would expect at least IEC 61010-1 and IEC 61010-2-040.

What does the device sterilize? If it is used to sterilize medical devices it is medical device itself and should comply with the corresponding medical device directive (MDD). Otherwise it should at least comply with the low voltage directive (LVD). Do you have the declaration of conformity? This should state the underlying directive and maybe also the standards which were applied to show compliance. For such sterilizer I would expect at least IEC 61010-1 and IEC 61010-2-040.
Actually we are thinking of buying and then selling it. But we are not sure of the LVD or EMC directives are enough or not. In this case, can we say that UV is an approved sterilization source so that CE mark is for just its physical features, there is no need to any confirmation for its sterilization feature? In addition, I think it is not for medical device sterilization, not sure of the goal. But yes IEC 61010-1 and IEC 61010-2-040 seem appropriate. Thank you for your reply.

Benjamin Weber

Trusted Information Resource
Actually we are thinking of buying and then selling it. But we are not sure of the LVD or EMC directives are enough or not. In this case, can we say that UV is an approved sterilization source so that CE mark is for just its physical features, there is no need to any confirmation for its sterilization feature? In addition, I think it is not for medical device sterilization, not sure of the goal. But yes IEC 61010-1 and IEC 61010-2-040 seem appropriate. Thank you for your reply.
You are going to sell the UV sterilizer, but you don't know what it shall be used for?!? What is the intended use specified by the manufacturer?

I don't think you can say UV sterilization is an approved method and that's it. The manufacturer should somehow show, that the disinfection process is appropriate to achieve the desired result. That can be done by applying the right standard, e.g. 61010-2-040.

If you want to sell the device, you should be aware of your obligations, depending on the corresponding market (I assume EU) and the relevant directives. I am sure, any of the directives will require at least, that you know, what you are selling! Are you acitng as importer, EU representative, distributer?

You are going to sell the UV sterilizer, but you don't know what it shall be used for?!? What is the intended use specified by the manufacturer?

I don't think you can say UV sterilization is an approved method and that's it. The manufacturer should somehow show, that the disinfection process is appropriate to achieve the desired result. That can be done by applying the right standard, e.g. 61010-2-040.

If you want to sell the device, you should be aware of your obligations, depending on the corresponding market (I assume EU) and the relevant directives. I am sure, any of the directives will require at least, that you know, what you are selling! Are you acitng as importer, EU representative, distributer?
Actually I don't think it is about our company. We are producing medical devices and we will get CE certification about our products soon. My manager sent me a CE certificate of a UVC sterilizer and asked about its sterilization compliance "Does the certificate include sterilization function, too". We are not going to produce it. Importing or distributing it I guess, I don't know why did they ask me about it, maybe they wanted to be sure of this product's safety. But I do not know about UVC sterilizers, because my field is on Class IIb and Class III medical devices. To be sure about the certificate content, I wanted to ask about the requirements.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
K UVC Germicidal lamp CE CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
K Our local sterilizer is closing - Record Retention Question 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
E Class II Implant Steam Sterilizer Validation Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 3
A Guideline to Calibrate Chamber Temp. & Pressure of a Medical Steam Sterilizer General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
I ETO Sterilizer Validation (ISO 11135:2007) Other Medical Device Related Standards 23
V Can we use same autoclave (sterilizer) for media preparation & waste disposal? Hospitals, Clinics & other Health Care Providers 3
I Guidelines that specify the frequency of ETO Sterilizer Re-Validation ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
C Sterilization Validation ISO 14937 - Sterilizer that uses EO gas diffusion Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 7
V New Product Model CE Mark Certification under MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 0
P Violation of CE mark - Re-use of single-use Products CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
K One CE Mark holder - multiple manufacturing sites EU Medical Device Regulations 3
A First CE-mark class III implantable device under MDD EU Medical Device Regulations 8
F List of countries that 'prefer' a CE Mark CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
C Surgical mask stability testing (CE mark) EU Medical Device Regulations 2
M MDR EU Distributor for our CE Mark product in the for Netherlands EU Medical Device Regulations 6
D Does Manufacture can submit CE mark application under MDD with NB for his New product after May 2020? EU Medical Device Regulations 3
Ed Panek CE Mark Requirements on Kits (off the shelf product requirements met) CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
R IVDR CE Mark for Class A products - Declaration of Conformity CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
C Does a CE mark infer meeting all applicable standards? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
M CE Mark and 510(k) -Global registration requirements for every country Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 3
A CE Mark and PMCF study EU Medical Device Regulations 3
T CE mark start date for a device EU Medical Device Regulations 7
P API monogram mark requirements Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 1
S CE Mark - Classification Confusion EU Medical Device Regulations 12
S Until when can we CE-mark and sell MDD class 1 devices? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 17
N CE Mark for Class 1 medical device CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 11
Y CE Mark - Placing the CE mark on medical device labels EU Medical Device Regulations 2
B Need For BIS Standard Mark? Imported OEM's Power supply,Li-Ion Battery Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
D Vietnam requirement of CE mark for medical devices CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
A CE mark - Measuring Instruments Directive confusion! CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 0
S CE mark on a medical device - Textile product CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
V CE Mark under MDD or IVDR - IVD company doing Virtual Manufacturing Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 3
S REF and CE mark symbols on multi-component device EU Medical Device Regulations 3
D Who are the accredited Certified Bodies for CE Mark for Medical Devices? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 7
Ed Panek GTIN (Global Trade Item Number) for non CE Mark Other Medical Device Related Standards 4
S Can we still manufacture whilst awaiting return of our CE Mark? Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
J EC REP information and CE Mark - Component of a system that is not a medical device EU Medical Device Regulations 2
F Interpretation of MDR 2017/745 Article 23 - CE Mark Requirements EU Medical Device Regulations 8
C Is CE Mark needed for a small DAC audio board on top of a Rasberry PI? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
B Do CE Mark associations exist? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
E EU Class 1s CE Mark Regulatory Pathway EU Medical Device Regulations 9
K CE mark transition and new regulations CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 0
L Class IIa Medical Device, CE Mark & 510k - Labeling Content CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
R List of countries that require only CE Mark certificate for product registration Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 2
Ronen E RIP Mark Hollis 1955-2019 Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 0
M CE mark validity after Brexit, 29th March '19 EU Medical Device Regulations 6
M Start-Up Company looking for ISO 13485 Certification Body and Medical Device CE Mark Notified Body Registrars and Notified Bodies 6
A CE Mark PPE Category III for our customers residing in the EU CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
H Can an OEM use an CM ISO 13485 certification in helping to get out CE Mark? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
S CE ETA (A2) Audit - CE mark for the european construction market CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 0