Validating multiple injection molding machines efficiently

J

jhnichols

I have a question on common practices for validating injection molding processes across several molding machines. It is viable to perform an OQ study to define a process window on one machine, then move to PQ and apply the nominal setting to multiple identical machines to check for conformance to CpK requirements?

I have been informed by a purported expert that the best molders in the world typically use multiple similar (not identical- may have slightly different screw, barrel, etc.) machines without specifically running parts in them provided the OQ and PQ has been completed on a single machine. This seems somewhat unlikely for sensitive parts used in medical and pharma applications, so I am looking for confirmation of the general practices in use. Is requiring separate PQ runs on multiple machines common to approve those machines for production?

How do you typically go about qualifying multiple presses?

:thanks:
Jeremy

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

kuyakut

Involved In Discussions
That is only applicable if you have same make and model of machine and same auxiliaries (same capacity chiller or water thermolator) and same screw size. Our common practice is run the whole IOP validation in one machine and run only PQ on multiple machines with same make and model and same screw size.

Kuyakut

AgnieszkaSz

Involved In Discussions
I currently work for a supplier of components of medical devices - we do full validation for each pair of mould/production cell. From experience - the same mould on 2 IMMs of the same make and type can have slightly different process window. I think this is caused by technical state of the IMMs - they are long-living machinery and although going through authorized testing, they actually work in slightly different manner.

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Staff member
Super Moderator
agree with previous poster. even 'identical' equipment bought and installed at the same time will not be the same. They have different components made at different locations within their tolerances; they will age/wear differently based on dimensions and material properties and usage; they will have different voltages, current, pressures, etc. remember nothing is ever exactly the same as another 'identical' thing.

In my experience PQ is almost useless in qualifying parts or equipment. real ife rarely stays at the Nominal...

Michael Malis

Quite Involved in Discussions
I would also recommend to obtained from OEM statement that all original equipment was installed and validated by the molding company. This will help to avoid questions about original vs. modified software...

Regards,
Michael

somashekar

Staff member
Super Moderator
To Validate multiple injection molding machines efficiently ...
IQ: Every machine. Learning from the first helps in the rest to a great extent
OQ: Learning from OQ / PQ from the first helps in the rest to a great extent
PQ: Logically follows OQ
Aim for the machine & mold combination effectively

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Validating my own application developed with Agile Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 5
T Risk analysis of QMS software - Validating software we use for QMS ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
H Validating Nondestructive leak testing machine Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 3
S Validating a Bonding Process Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 3
M FDA's expectation for validating OTS software updates Other US Medical Device Regulations 8
R Re-validating revised Medical Device and Aerospace Product COTS software ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
J Validating a stopped test due to never finding any defects Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
J Grouping Products and Testing Sterile and Biocompatibility - Validating Products Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 3
G Validating a Process Based on Lot Release Criteria Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
Q Meeting the Requirement of Clause 7.5.2 on Validating Special Processes AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
M Validating a Product through Tool Control and Tool Inspections Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
Gert Sorensen Validating a Sandblasting Process - Any pointers? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 10
G Testing and Validating a New Vertical Milling Machine AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 10
Q Validating Tape Measures used to Measure Product Conformity to Requirements ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
M Protocol for Validating Pull Tester and Force Gage Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 9
T Validating Supplier Statement - Rusty shield that supplier denied responsibility Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
M Validating 3rd Party Software which Tracks Archived Samples Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 2
Q Validating ESD (Electrostatic Discharge) Flooring ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
M Procedure for Validating Laser Marking & Electropolishing of Orthopedic Implants Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 13
Q Validating the AOI process (Automated Optical Inspection) Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 9
K Validating a gage/fixture in-house under TS 16949 - Need information General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
C Validating Custom adaptations of Medical Devices ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
C Validating a Gage R&R spreadsheet - Defining Formulas in spreadsheet cells Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
Gert Sorensen Software Validating Adobe Professional according to Part 11? Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 10
D Validating software in materials testing - Integrated system of individual components General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
D Validating Multimeters (how to) General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
Ron Rompen MSA on automated measurement system - Multiple Step Vision System Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
shimonv FDA News FDA guidance on Multiple Function Device Products (8/2020) Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
C Contract Review with Multiple Line items ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
I Cannot Export multiple sections from Excel to PDF without losing pagination Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 23
Q Legal Manufacturing Address Change – multiple registrations at same address 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
B QMS question in regards to multiple medical devices/products and N/A activities Other Medical Device Related Standards 12
Proud Liberal Power Query to combine multiple tables of unequal number of columns Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
D Reduction of software class based on multiple external risk controls IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 5
G Gauge R&R on multiple dimensions using 3D measurement system Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 6
S Samples for GR&R - Can we get the 10 samples from multiple models Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
Proud Liberal Cp / Cpk on position using multiple MMC bonuses Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 2
M Measuring Capability of Process with Multiple Specifications Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 6
C FDA Registration Requirements for Multiple Sites 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 8
C Can a manufacturer (in South of Korea) have multiple Brazil Registration Holder (BRH) for same brend name? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
S Multiple Authorized Reps in the EU for the same device? EU Medical Device Regulations 3
S Providing IFU (Instructions for Use) in multiple languages EU Medical Device Regulations 0
C FMEA - Multiple function failures considerations FMEA and Control Plans 3
B AS9100 Multiple Distributor warehousing locations under same Company AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 12
W SOP for Vigilance reporting covering multiple requirements Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
E Informational Internal Audits - Wear multiple hats what can and can't I audit (so I'm not auditing my own work) Internal Auditing 144
A Doubt on multiple inspection carrying out for same balloon number during Stage Inspection and Final Inspection? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
J DoE (Design of Experiments) - Multiple responses with different factors Using Minitab Software 2
L Control Plan - Multiple Process Steps FMEA and Control Plans 8
K Internal Auditing - Umbrella QMS and Multiple Standards Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 4