Validation Guidance - Plastic Injection Molding Process

QE

Quite Involved in Discussions
Dear all Coves,

I am seeking guidance for the validation of Plastic Injection Molding Process and have searched cove in depth. I have the GHTF and WHO Validation Guidance. Can any one post a document which has details and steps that can lead me to a sucessful validation documentation of a Plastic Injection Molding Process please.

Can some one chime in ?

:thanx:

Last edited:
Elsmar Forum Sponsor

somashekar

Staff member
Super Moderator
Form a team of production, maintenance and quality primarily.
Study the moulding properties of the raw material that is to be used.
IQ
Set up the injection moulding machine with all service connections in good order.
Ensure all meters on the machine have valid calibration.
OQ
set the zone temperatures of the barrel (material TDS will give you the guidelines)
determine the shot weight and set same
set the injection pressure
ensure that the mold is in order by the tool maintenance and good for use
load mold on machine and set the mold clamping pressure
if the mold needs an MTC (mold temp controller) install same
fix the holding time after injection
try shots and fine tune parameters till you get the parts per requirement
PQ
fix the parameters and run several batches to ensure it works well over time
train people who handle the machine about the parameters and maintenance of tool and machine, about its calibration and record same.
(i am not an expert in plastics, but i have tried answering from my experience with suppliers).
I have a 5 MB .pdf <operator handbook for plastic injection moulding> and it cannot be attached here due to limitations of size. Tell me how I can send it to you as a guidance document in the validation.

P

PaulT

I agree with the classical IQ, OQ and PQ approach. :yes:

One item that most Medical Device companies are looking for is how the operating ranges for the process are achieved. This Process Characterization involves hi /low process parameter determination using product measurement (usually critical to functions - CTF) These parameters are the input to the OQ. Somewhere in your documentation is it advisable to identify your important process parameters (It is also helpful to say why they are important.) Hope this helps!

H

henryzyh

Thank You to seank for sharing this protocol. It's really useful for someone to learn how to generate the tooling validation. If you can share some templates of the records that you have showed the form number in your attachement, it will be give the great support to others to well learn this.

Thanks.:applause::thanks:

Hi mates,

I just notice from this forum there is another guidelines from WHO instead of GHTF documents to develop validation process and documentation.

Shall we share this document as well here?

Tiff...:)

J

Juan Dude

Hi mates,

I just notice from this forum there is another guidelines from WHO instead of GHTF documents to develop validation process and documentation.

Shall we share this document as well here?

Tiff...:)
Are you referring to the guidance document for aid vaccine manufacturers validation required by the World Health Organization (WHO)?

Roland Cooke

Quite Involved in Discussions
Although I appreciated Somashekar's post, I am interested in talking offline with someone that absolutely is an expert in plastic molding validation and routine control. Does anyone here fit that bill, or have a good contact that would be willing to speak with me on this issue?

Kind Regards,
Roland

ScottK

Not out of the crisis
Staff member
Super Moderator
Form a team of production, maintenance and quality primarily.
Study the moulding properties of the raw material that is to be used.
IQ
Set up the injection moulding machine with all service connections in good order.
Ensure all meters on the machine have valid calibration.
OQ
set the zone temperatures of the barrel (material TDS will give you the guidelines)
determine the shot weight and set same
set the injection pressure
ensure that the mold is in order by the tool maintenance and good for use
load mold on machine and set the mold clamping pressure
if the mold needs an MTC (mold temp controller) install same
fix the holding time after injection
try shots and fine tune parameters till you get the parts per requirement
PQ
fix the parameters and run several batches to ensure it works well over time
train people who handle the machine about the parameters and maintenance of tool and machine, about its calibration and record same.
(i am not an expert in plastics, but i have tried answering from my experience with suppliers).
I have a 5 MB .pdf <operator handbook for plastic injection moulding> and it cannot be attached here due to limitations of size. Tell me how I can send it to you as a guidance document in the validation.
This is what I had done in the past as a QE in injection molding, injection blow molding, extrusion blow molding, and stretch blow molding.

I got the protocol I used back then from Procter & Gamble training and it suited all of our food, cosmetic, and drug customers for qualifying new tooling.
Some customers didn't require several runs for the PQ... it was a single long run - 8 hours with samples taken every hour from each cavity, for example. The reason for that was that they needed the parts in full production and were not willing to wait for several production runs to close the qualification.

We measured all critical dimension of the part as part of the OQ and the PQ.
Also as part of the PQ, capability was caluculated by dimension.

BradM

Staff member
Admin
Denice,
I wish you luck. I've requested on multiple occassions to have Somashekar provide this information to the forum or personally and have not received a response.

Dan
With due respect, Dan, I am personally very grateful to Somashekar for all the valuable contributions to this forum. :agree1:

There are complex reasons why someone may not want to post an attachment. There may be confidential stuff in it, there may be a copyright issue, or on a more fundamental level, they simply may choose to do otherwise.

Having said all that, I'm not sure what document you are looking for anyway. What Someshekar has already provided can provide a framework for you to write your oven validation protocol.

It is ill-advised to blanket copy validation documents. They need to be written for the specific application, the specific installation, and needs to address the functional requirements of the process, as identified by management.

So... you should look towards qualifying the injection molding machine, and validating the process using the machine.

I hope that helps.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Stoic Are any medical device companies using the 2011 FDA process validation guidance instead of GHTF/SG3/N99-10:2004? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
M Software Validation Guidance Suggestions Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 6
A FDA Medical Device Reprocessing Guidance - Validation US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 6
J Mobile Medical Device App Validation Guidance vs. GPSV? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
A Guidance for Cleanroom Qualification and Validation relevant for EU and USA ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
M Validation in accordance with FDA Guidance Documents Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 2
B FDA Guidance on Metal Injection Molding process validation 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 8
A Medical Device Software Validation Guidance Software Quality Assurance 3
V Process Validation Guidance establishing the Integration with QbD - April 2012 Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 1
I Sampling Plans - Guidance to Sampling a Process during Validation Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 12
Ajit Basrur FDA releases new Draft Guidance - Process Validation - Gen Principles and Practices Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 27
P Guidance on ISO 13485 Section 7.5.2. about Software Validation ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 15
C Database validation - Guidance on how a database should be validated? Software Quality Assurance 4
M Seeking guidance documents for Non FDA Regulated Process Validation - New Equipment Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
P Human Factors / Usability validation in the time of COVID Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 4
C Template for Excel Validation Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 5
M IT validation for a paper based MD repair company QMS ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
P Unrealistic Packaging Validation Sample Size 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 13
D Test summary report example for design validation wanted - ISO 13485 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
M Is Validation of Plating Processes required and who is responsible? Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 11
T ISO 13485 - Process validation at critical suppliers ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
K Software Validation for Measurement Tools used in Process Validation ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
Stoic Manual soldering processes - 100% verifiable, or always requiring validation? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 13
P Design verification driven by new equipment. How is this different than process validation? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
S Rees System Validation Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 1
K PQ validation qualification - Asked to write a PQ protocol ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
K Old medical devices -> 7.3.7. Design and development validation ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
S SOP for ISO 13485:2016 Quality related Software validation ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
Y Retrospective Validation - Class I device 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 10
S High voltage testing - ISO 17025 - 7.2.2 Validation of methods and 7.3 Sampling ISO 17025 related Discussions 3
M Production approval testing - Alternative ideas for Validation Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 4
M Validation of two nearly identical products Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 5
J Requested Validation plan and reports Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
S Validation Records - Very young QMS Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 2
M Test method validation - Is MSA (MSA1, MSA2, MSA3 and linearity) a good solution? Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
G Devices from IQ, OQ or PQ process to be used for verification, validation and summative? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
K ERP System Software Validation - ISO13485 2016 4.1.6 Design and Development of Products and Processes 8
W ASTM F1929 dye penetration test - Validation for in-house testing ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 13
Bev D Verification and Validation of Measurement Systems Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 0
Y Does Solidworks (2D/3D drafting modules) need validation? Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 5
D Software validation in Medical Equipment Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 20
K Validation of new machine (second machine of the same type) Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 2
A Literature review/HACCP validation of metal detection Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 0
Y Packaging validation for non-sterile Medical Equipment Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
A Our auditor told if we didn't have a patent we would have to do a validation or verification ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
N Design Verification & Process Validation - Statistical sample sizes Design and Development of Products and Processes 2
E Equipment Qualification - IQ/OQ per ISO 13485:2016 section 7.5.6 Process validation ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
Q Clean Line Validation ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
D 510K and Changes to Verification and Validation US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
H EO Sterilization Validation - Sterility Testing and Load Configuration Other Medical Device Related Standards 1