Validation of Computer and Network Equipment Test System

Dr.mr555

Starting to get Involved
I am a Quality Manager for a company that imbeds COTS computers, routers, and switches into our products along with designing our own interface CCAs, cables, and enclosures.

Our System Engineers have developed testing methods and scripts that employ the use of other network equipment to stress test our products while gauging data throughput and processor usage percentages while assuring operation is within acceptable temperature limits.

My concern is with validating the test system that?s been created. I would think that COTS components with onboard sensors reporting temperature and processor usage cannot be validated independently because the unit is built, tested, shipped.

I would think other, more permanent equipment, such as routers and switches used to evaluate performance could be calibrated, although I?m not certain of this. I?ll take for granted that the test environment temperature sensor can be verified to a traceable standard.
I have some limited computer hardware experience but have nowhere near the level of expertise that our System Engineers have. Please help guide me through this. Thanks!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

yodon

Staff member
Super Moderator
I don't see calibrating networking equipment. There's setup and maybe some tuning (e.g., for load balancing) but I wouldn't consider that calibration. The only "measurements" are what you indicated but that's all software-driven so no calibration.

Hershal

Metrologist-Auditor
Staff member
Super Moderator
Generally the network equipment, whether COTS or specific development, can be verified. The verification can verify the individual items and also the system as a whole.

As for the temperature sensor, yes it can and should be calibrated. The sensor may be calibrated independently and then married up in the system. If the sensor cannot be calibrated separately, then it must be calibrated in situ. To assure that you get traceable calibration, you should employ an accredited cal lab with temperature in the scope.

Hope this helps.

Dr.mr555

Starting to get Involved
"Generally the network equipment, whether COTS or specific development, can be verified."

Is there a piece of equipment or test kit that can be used to verify data transfer rates other than software tools?

Thanks!

Hershal

Metrologist-Auditor
Staff member
Super Moderator
Yes, the network analyzer does that. I have not used one in quite awhile, but did use them in the past to verify the function of ATE.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Computer System Validation of Bioinformatics Pipeline Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 5
E Computer System Validation - Migrating to SAP Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
N 7.5.2.1 Validation of the Application of the Computer Software - PLEASE CLARIFY ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
S Computer Simulation Validation Tests for Underwater Equipment AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
T Medical Device Manufacturer Document Control Computer System Validation Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 4
somashekar Software Validation vs. Validation of the Application of Computer Software ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 16
AnaMariaVR2 Computer System Validation Resources for the FDA Regulated Industry Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 2
B Computer System Validation Records - Document Destroy Date - Animal pharma company Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 3
D Validation of computer controlled tensile testers General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0
G Computer software validation system in medical device industry ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
S FDA Validation - Does one have to conduct validation for Computer Servers? Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 8
C IS0 13485:2003 - Validation of the Application of Computer Software ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 57
B Sterilization Validation Plan Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
D Test Method Validation Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 4
T Laboratory Verification after validation ISO 17025 related Discussions 3
silentmonkey Rationalising the level of effort and depth of software validation based on risk ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
D Questions regarding process validation ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
Y We found out we have been using a equipment without validation for past 4 years Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 6
Z Is IQ necessary for laser marking validation? EU Medical Device Regulations 3
E 13485:2016, Sections 4.1.6, 7.5.6 and 7.6 - Validation of Software - Need some Advice please ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
A Validation of Forced Aeration Process ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
E Mentor for Test Method Validation (TMV) Design and Development of Products and Processes 2
M API 4F/7K/8C Design Package Validation Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 2
I ISO 2233:2000 Question - Medical Device Shipping/Transportation Validation Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
T Annual Validation as a detection mode on a PFMEA? FMEA and Control Plans 5
B TMV - Selection of TM's for Validation ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
S Forced ServiceNow validation - No change in our current user and functional requirements IT (Information Technology) Service Management 6
P Human Factors / Usability validation in the time of COVID Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 9
C Template for Excel Validation Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 6
M IT validation for a paper based MD repair company QMS ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
P Unrealistic Packaging Validation Sample Size 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 13
D Test summary report example for design validation wanted - ISO 13485 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
M Is Validation of Plating Processes required and who is responsible? Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 11
T ISO 13485 - Process validation at critical suppliers ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
K Software Validation for Measurement Tools used in Process Validation ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
Stoic Manual soldering processes - 100% verifiable, or always requiring validation? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 15
P Design verification driven by new equipment. How is this different than process validation? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
S Rees System Validation Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 1
K PQ validation qualification - Asked to write a PQ protocol ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
Stoic Are any medical device companies using the 2011 FDA process validation guidance instead of GHTF/SG3/N99-10:2004? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
K Old medical devices -> 7.3.7. Design and development validation ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
S SOP for ISO 13485:2016 Quality related Software validation ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
Y Retrospective Validation - Class I device 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 10
S High voltage testing - ISO 17025 - 7.2.2 Validation of methods and 7.3 Sampling ISO 17025 related Discussions 3
M Production approval testing - Alternative ideas for Validation Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 4
M Validation of two nearly identical products Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 5
J Requested Validation plan and reports Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
S Validation Records - Very young QMS Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 2
M Test method validation - Is MSA (MSA1, MSA2, MSA3 and linearity) a good solution? Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
G Devices from IQ, OQ or PQ process to be used for verification, validation and summative? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5