Validation of Data verification tool per 21 CFR 820

I am currently trying to validate a custom software tool that will be used for snapshotting the states of different systems on the medical device that is undergoing V&V. In addition to generating the data, the software will also determine if the states are correct with a PASS/FAIL per our Design V&V protocol. The data printout will be attached to the test report as evidence and the manual tester will verify that all tests passed before signing off on the test script that was run.

My question is does this created data printout (which and calculates if the states are correct and then determines a PASS/FAIL) constitute an electronic record per 21 CFR 820, and is therefore required to conform to requirements related to audit trail, authority checks, protection of records.. etc?

Note: the printout will ultimately be attached to a test case report and then signed by the tester.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Zero_yield

Involved In Discussions
If a system is generating information that will be used to make a pass/fail decision, it needs to conform to all data integrity requirements.

So let's say I make widgets that need to be a centimeter long at their longest point. I have a piece of equipment that measures widgets, but does not export the data or make a pass/fail determination. I am now building a custom software tool that snapshots the equipment's measurement. If the measurement is >1cm, the custom software tool reports FAIL. If the measurement is <1cm, the software tool reports PASS. The measurements and pass/fail data are now printed and verified by a human operator.

In this case, I would say the printout is the original data. It needs to meet all data integrity requirements - (ALCOA+) attributable, legible, contemporaneous, original, accurate, available, complete, consistent, and enduring. Does the electronic version of the snapshot need to be saved as well? My gut instinct is no. As long as you have a full and complete representation of the data printed and preserved, I'm not sure what saving the snapshot gets you. If you choose to save the snapshots somewhere as documentation of compliance, I'd say they need the full protection, retention, etc.

The software taking the snapshots needs to have appropriate protections against people making changes to it.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Special 510k - Data Results of the Design Verification and Validation Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
R Validation of mobile app and cloud servers for data security IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 4
P Software validation of Data Exporter ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
M Leaving Footprints in the Data - Large Database Validation Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 7
S Validation requirement after moving labeling data base to different drive Software Quality Assurance 7
H Continuous Monitoring Instrument Data Validation and how to calculate Outliers Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 1
B Formula Data Validation Set for Cp, Cpk, Pp & Ppk Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 4
F External Storage of Data - ISO 9001 Clause 7.5.2 Validation of Processes ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
D Data Migration Validation - AGILE to (ARAS) Innovator Software Quality Assurance 3
J Excel Spreadsheet Validation for Calculating Data coming from our Instruments (LIMS) General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
J Association of Analytical Communities validation study data - How deep should I go? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
L Seeking Data Logger Validation Example - Temperature and Humidity General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
R Validation of Software used in Verification Testing ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
D Glassware cleaning validation Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 3
M Do i need to have equipment validation if 100% testing is completed? Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 4
R SaMD Verification & Validation IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 6
B SPECIAL PROCESS VALIDATION & REVALIDATION Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 4
R Validation of processes Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 2
L Guidance for validation - mixing homogeneity Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 0
E DESIGN VALIDATION, USABILITY AND CLINICAL EVALUATION request Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
S In Field Validation Requirements Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
L Validation of mixers Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 2
L Validation of mixers Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 0
B How to satisfy clause 5.7.1.5 process validation for valve production API 6D Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 13
A Applying agile model for Computer system Validation Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 3
H Production Validation- CE Mark ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
Watchcat Software validation vs design V&V? Other US Medical Device Regulations 27
M Initial Importer/Distributor and Software Validation IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 1
P Test Method Validation (TMV) for all Measurement Methods in Rec/Inspection Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 0
G Number of Destructively Tested Devices Needed for Ethylene Oxide Validation Other Medical Device Related Standards 4
E ISO 13485 software validation ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
R SAP B1 Computer System Validation Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 0
A GAGE R&R Binomial with master list (for method validation) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 0
Y ISO 13485:2015 Software Validation IQ/OQ/PQ ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 13
N Validation of special processes - thread closed Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 3
L Validation without Tolerance Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 0
shimonv Test Method Validation ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
R Debug mode in software/device validation IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 2
M Software verification and validation AS9100 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
Melissa Process Validation of Rotary Heat Sealer Speeds Design and Development of Products and Processes 4
C Validation of process for releasing the UDI EU Medical Device Regulations 4
C Validation of process for production and servicing 5.7.1.5 API Spec Q1, 9th Edition Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 9
W Transport validation Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 4
M Is validation required when consumables are changed Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 7
C 8.3.4 Verification and Validation ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
W Transport validation Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 12
mustomutlu Process Validation Final Report Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 2
P Software verification and validation procedure IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 6
Y SaMD Verification and Validation SOP and Plan IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 8
C Spreadsheet Validation and Release Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 2