SBS - The best value in QMS software

Validation of Software - NIOSH product (Class II - N95 Respirators)

C

ChrissieO

Could someone please explain what type of software this refers to.

We are not 13485 certified but we are doing some outer packaging/labelling and distribution work for one of our own manufacturing plants, of NIOSH product (Class II - N95 Respirators).

I am trying to find gaps in our QMS (9001:2008) and any requirements of 13485 relevant only to the work we are carrying out.

Clause 7.5.2.1 requires the validation of software. What type of software does this refer to. The only software we use in the process is an in house process management system, a prysm labelling system and after completion the product goes into our warehouse management system for stock control/FIFO and shipping management.

Could someone clarify this for me.

Thanks

Cx

Last edited by a moderator:
Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration with a Mask on...
Staff member
Admin
Can anyone here help with this? My Thanks in advance!

yodon

Staff member
Super Moderator
I suspect that this hasn't received a reply because it's a difficult call. What we do is assess the risk to quality on the software and then determine if validation is necessary. Note: risk could be to product or service (did the customer get what was ordered).

An FMEA is a good tool to help assess risk. Consider ways the software can fail and determine what the impact would be. Balance the risk with things in place to mitigate the risk (e.g., if each label printed by the prysm system is scanned or verified, then the risk may be mitigated already). If there's a potential to impact quality, then a validation is probably in order. Scale the validation to the level of risk.

Systems built in house versus commercial products tend to be regarded as needing more validation (the thought being that commercial systems are being beat on pretty well throughout industry and defects would be well known - I don't know that I would agree with the conclusion but...).

Without knowing your systems better, I could make an argument that each one of the systems you mention could be candidates for validation. A good approach to take is to do a little research on Validation Master Plans and establish one for your company. That would provide the guidance for what systems you validate (or provide the rationale as to why you believed you did not need to validate).

Finally, at a minimum, be sure these systems are under good configuration control. Even if you don't do any validation testing, that's a good business practice.

Sorry this isn't much more specific help but it's a pretty broad subject with lots of variables and unknowns.

M

mogluk

so just to clarify the systems:

you have an ERP or MRP software system;

a prysm labelling system

process management system.

each one of those would have a different impact on the product if it were to "Fail".

to me the prysm system is the one I would focus on for validation. The others although they 'may' require validation I would say their impact on product quality is less than labelling. (but that's my opinion.)

I would look at your URS for the labelling system, what does it do for your devices and look at a possible retroactive validation, a fault analysis to determine the extent of validation. Maybe the most important, it sounds OTS so, it might have some validation performed already......

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
H Software Validation for FFS Packaging Machine Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 0
Q ISO 13485 7.5.6 Validation - Off the shelf Software ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
M ERP / QMS related software standards for Validation IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 6
D Software validation team Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 3
silentmonkey Rationalising the level of effort and depth of software validation based on risk ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
E 13485:2016, Sections 4.1.6, 7.5.6 and 7.6 - Validation of Software - Need some Advice please ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
K Software Validation for Measurement Tools used in Process Validation ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
S SOP for ISO 13485:2016 Quality related Software validation ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
K ERP System Software Validation - ISO13485 2016 4.1.6 Design and Development of Products and Processes 8
D Software validation in Medical Equipment Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 20
C Looking for simple Software Validation IQ templates. Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 4
C Software validation - Off The Shelf Software - Web hosted ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
R Validation of Medical Device Hardware containing Software - How many to Validate ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
F 21 CFR Part 11 - Implicit requirements - Validation plan for a Software as a Service Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
R ISO 13485 Software validation procedure and Quality Objectives Monitoring wanted Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
S Validation of COTS Equipment plus Software Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 12
D Software Validation - Contract manufacturer of Components (PCBA's) Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 7
Pmarszal Software Validation Training Course - Recommendations Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 3
T Software Validation Certificate (ISO 13485:2016) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 19
R FDA Requirements - Printing Equipment Software Validation Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 1
G Windows 10 OS build Software Validation US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
S Where to keep Enterprise Resource Planning software (ERP) Validation Records ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
C Software validation (4.1.6 ISO 13485:2016) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 20
M Software Validation Guidance Suggestions Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 6
S QMS software validation - Documentation ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
A SOP for software validation of software in medical device IEC 62304 IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 5
R CNC Software Validation requirements as per ISO 13485:2016 Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 8
R Software validation - off the shelf X-Ray Software Quality Assurance 3
S What is the clause in ISO 13485 for SAP Software Validation? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
P Software validation of Data Exporter ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
A Process Validation of QMS Software ISO 13485: 2016 Cl. 4.1.6 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 26
P Software Validation for Equipment - Question ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
D Medical Device Software Tool Validation - Compilers! IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 7
N When is Medical Device Software Validation required? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
O Process Mapping prior to Validation and Software to use to Map Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 12
S Software Validation – Clause 4.1.6 of ISO 13485:2016 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 12
B Could I combine IQ, OQ and PQ for Minitab Software Validation ? Software Quality Assurance 3
R Document Management Software : Validation and other requirements Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 8
E Software Validation - Clinical Trials US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
K What are the minimum requirements for Process Validation (Software)? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
R ISO - Clause 7.5.1.3 - CMM Software Program Validation ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
I Validation Software Experience? (Valgenesis, etc.) Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 1
M Injection Molding Machine Software Validation Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 2
E FDA Requirements for Implantable Medical Device Software Validation ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
C Change Control Forms Post Software Validation Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 2
C Thoughts on validation of Legacy Systems for Medical Device Software EU Medical Device Regulations 2
C Cement Mixing Software Validation ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
Y OTS (Off The Shelf) Software Validation for 510k Traditional 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
V Validation of macro - scripts - programs used in statistical software (Minitab-SAS... Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 5
R ISO 13485 Software Validation Requirements - Help needed ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4