Validation of Special Process - Soldering

I

intrestedparty

How to Validate the special process - Soldering

I qualify my employee, equipement, method, and i define some work instruction and i am difficult with re verification.

How can we re verify the soldering process, there is any standard for measuring the soldering strength,

Kindly give some more link of SOP or work instructions for Soldering

Regards

Karthi.T

D

David Hartman

Karthi. T,

At www.ipc.org you will be able to purchase ANSI/IPC-A-610D titled Acceptability of Electronic Assemblies which gives you great pictures of good and bad solder joints - providing guidance as to what's acceptable and what's not.

I hope this helps.

By the way: Welcome to the Cove.

H

HFowler

I also would be interested in knowing how to validate soldering / tinning. We are a cable / wire harness manufacturer and do more tinning of stripped leads.

Big Jim

Admin
You may find some help with the IPC standards. IPC 610 and IPC J Standard. Although the two above are mostly for circuit board work, the concepts should be useful.

The basic idea is that there is a level of training to be completed which is supplemented with inspection. The above standards provide numerous illustrations of good and bad examples.

P

PaulJSmith

The current revision of the standard is IPC-A-610E, and should provide you with the answers you seek.

Mikishots

Trusted Information Resource
Karthi. T,

At www.ipc.org you will be able to purchase ANSI/IPC-A-610D titled Acceptability of Electronic Assemblies which gives you great pictures of good and bad solder joints - providing guidance as to what's acceptable and what's not.

I hope this helps.

By the way: Welcome to the Cove.

Agreed, an excellent resource, with many macro photographs for ease of use.

I think that it's one of the more useful and straightforward styles of standards I've come across.

sowmya

Involved - Posts
for cable harness you can refer ANSI / IPC/ WHMA-620B. IPC 610 is specifically for printed circuit board assemblies. Again 620 is acceptance standard. what you have to qualify is the process.

you have to train operators in following aspects and do on job validation.

1.Setting temparature in Soldering station (based on cable & wire type).
2.Prerequirement for starting the soldering process. such as work place organizing, tip maintenance, wetting the sponge used for cleaning...etc.,
3.ESD ( Electrostatic Discharge), PPE ( Proper Protective equipments ) to be followed
4.How to solder the wire ? , Checkpoints for after soldering process.
5.Usage of FLUX & cleaning agent, Lead & Lead free,alloy,Soldering types. awareness in these aspects are critical.

there are demo videos in IPC site. you can go thro the demo videos and buy appropriate one for your training purpose.

P

PaulJSmith

Section 6.3.5 in 610E specifically addresses Wire/Lead Preparation - Tinning as well.

sowmya

Involved - Posts
I do not say 610 will not work. 610 has jumper soldering, tinning...etc., but 610 is a bigger stuff for cable harness industry. 620 covers tinning and soldering of wires and connectors.
WHMA-A-620 Instructor Training Course Topics
?Cable and wire dimensioning, tolerances and preparation
?Crimp terminations: ◦Stamped and formed contacts
◦Machined Contacts
?Insulation displacement connections
?Ultrasonic welding
?Soldered terminations
?Splices
?Connectorization
?Molding and potting
?Marking and labeling
?Co-ax and twin-ax assembly