SBS - The Best Value in QMS software

Validation Sample Size for Tray Seal

I'm working on a tray seal validation for a sterile medical device. We have already qualified this packaging system on a single nest sealer, but we are moving it to a multi-cavity sealer and it is causing quite a debate about sample sizing.

We are taking 8 peel strength samples from defined locations around the tray and have a nest that can process 4 trays simultaneously. The debate is whether each peel location of each tray should count as 1 sample, or if due to lack independence between sample locations, each "run" of 4 trays really only counts as 1 sample, or somewhere in the middle.

What have you all done to address validation of multiple units per machine cycle and with multiple measurements per unit?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

William55401

Quite Involved in Discussions
Do you have very good existing variable data on the capability of your existing process? Can you leverage these variable stats to minimize sample size? IMHO: If you sampled 4 locations on your one up sealer and had a sample size for that, you need to do the same on each 4 up. The opportunity here is if you can leverage variable stats to perform a difference test (t test) on the 4 up version. Hope this helps.

Said differently... you should have the same (or better) statistical confidence / reliability in the 4 up as the 1 up. Leverage your experience to get there and potential reduce sample size from the initial one up qualification.

SylvieS

Starting to get Involved
I'm working on a tray seal validation for a sterile medical device. We have already qualified this packaging system on a single nest sealer, but we are moving it to a multi-cavity sealer and it is causing quite a debate about sample sizing.

We are taking 8 peel strength samples from defined locations around the tray and have a nest that can process 4 trays simultaneously. The debate is whether each peel location of each tray should count as 1 sample, or if due to lack independence between sample locations, each "run" of 4 trays really only counts as 1 sample, or somewhere in the middle.

What have you all done to address validation of multiple units per machine cycle and with multiple measurements per unit?

... did you have an answer - I am facing the same issue currently. My initial assumption is that counting each cavity as a sample will not provide me sufficient confidence of quality within a batch - but I can't seem to explain it statistically.

I never got a satisfactory answer, but the approach I took was to base the sample sizing on the number of sealer runs, but then to sample tray/peel locations randomly from within each run (I did three, but somewhat arbitrarily). That gave us an overall peel strength sample size of 59 * 3 = 177 rather than the 59 * 4 * 8 = 1888 samples it would have taken to measure every location of every cavity.

The idea with the approach we took being that if all the stats pass, then the cavities must be similar enough (or at least not different enough relative to the spec limits). I don't know for certain that it is statistically kosher, but it kind of makes sense in my head and hasn't raised any flags with auditors so far. If it didn't pass, we would have then supplemented with a peel strength test from one randomly sampled location from each cavity of each run and analyzed each cavity in isolation.

I also did an on the side analysis for my personal amusement to see if I could map strength values across the whole nest. I did find (weakly at the number of samples I had) that one area of one cavity generally had the highest seal strength, and a particular position in two cavities tended to have the lowest peel strength across each sealer run. Based on that, I rolled out control charts using those 3 locations plus 2 more randomly as our ongoing process monitoring samples. So far so good on that front as well.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P Unrealistic Packaging Validation Sample Size 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 41
T Sample Size for Design Validation Design and Development of Products and Processes 4
R Sample size for clinical validation/investigation EU Medical Device Regulations 4
R Process Validation sample size selection Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 0
R Determining Sample Size for Medical Device Component Validation Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 0
P Cleaning and Disinfection Validation Sample Size of 3? Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
G Sampling Plan - Sample Size Justification for a Bottling Cleaning Process Validation Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 2
P Sterile Medical Packaging and Shelf Life Validation Sample size ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
G Sample Size for Design Verification and Validation 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 6
E Determining Sample Size for Design Verification and Design Validation Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 20
L Sample size for validation run with product users 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
M Sample Size in Design Verification & Process Validation Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
Q Determining Sample Size for FDA Verification and Validation Activities Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 41
Q Determining the Appropriate Sample Size for Process Validation/Qualification Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 13
N Design Verification & Process Validation - Statistical sample sizes Design and Development of Products and Processes 2
N ETO Sterilisation Validation - EO Residual Minimum Sample Requirement ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
M Validation Sample Sizes and Selection: An Example Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 10
B Sample Sizes for In-Vivo Design Validation Testing Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 1
S Which sample to use for PV (Production Validation) or DV (Design Verification) tests Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
Q Differences between Sample Sixes for Design Verification vs. Process Validation ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
A Sample Sizes for Process Validation - Medical device manufacturer ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
M Is validation required when consumables are changed Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 3
C 8.3.4 Verification and Validation ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
W Transport validation Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 12
mustomutlu Process Validation Final Report Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 2
P Software verification and validation procedure IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 6
Y SaMD Verification and Validation SOP and Plan IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 6
C Spreadsheet Validation and Release Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 2
M Packing Validation & Accelerated Aging Test ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
M Sterile packing validation tests to be performed and protocol Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 1
S OEM full range calibrations vs Validation special test points Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
H Software Validation for FFS Packaging Machine Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 1
Q ISO 13485 7.5.6 Validation - Off the shelf Software ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
M ERP / QMS related software standards for Validation IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 6
C ISO 19227 Validation Cost Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
A CNC Mill and Lathe - Validation Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
N Example for design and development planning,input,output,review,verification,validation and transfer Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 4
N Sterilization Protocol Change in Validation Process and further impacts ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
B Oracle Cloud ERP Validation during Quarterly Patch ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
D Software validation team Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 3
W LTPD, AQL, Ppk and Cpk validation sampling plan table Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 0
F AS9100 - Validation, FAIR's, ITAR and Sub-Contracting AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
R PCBA process validation Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 2
A ISO 17025 - Methods validation and clients ISO 17025 related Discussions 3
S Sterilization validation after changing sterilization process provider Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 3
B Sterilization Validation Plan Other Medical Device Related Standards 3
D Difference between Test Method Validation and Gage R&R Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 18
T Laboratory Verification after validation ISO 17025 related Discussions 3
silentmonkey Rationalising the level of effort and depth of software validation based on risk ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
D Questions regarding process validation ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6