Validity of ISO 9001 Certification

A

arin_23

Dear All,

I have some questions. Our organization was certified with ISO 9001:2000 , and certitificate expiry date was 26th Sept - 2008. Our management had decided to change the certification agency and in the process of finalization of the new certification agency , there was a lag of 1 month. The newly selected cert body had conducted the stage 1 certification audit in the month of Nov-08 and the stage 2 certification audit in the month of December- 2008.

The issued us a certificate in the month of March-2009, and the issue date mentioned in the certificate was the date of publication of the certificate i.e. March - 2009. The QMS followed was ISO 9001:2000.

Now the issues are:
1. Whether our organization can be considered as ISO certified during the period of Nove-08 to March-09?

2. Is there any guidelines which mentions about any validity periods of certifications?

3. Can we claim a letter from our present certification body in this context.

The situation has become complex as during Nov- Mar we have participated in some tenders where there was a mandatory clause of the organization being ISO 9001 compliant , and one of the tender commitees had sought explanation regarding this issue.

Thanx in advance.

Regards,

Arindam

B

brahmaiah

Re: Validity of ISO certification

Dear All,

I have some questions. Our organization was certified with ISO 9001:2000 , and certitificate expiry date was 26th Sept - 2008. Our management had decided to change the certification agency and in the process of finalization of the new certification agency , there was a lag of 1 month. The newly selected cert body had conducted the stage 1 certification audit in the month of Nov-08 and the stage 2 certification audit in the month of December- 2008.

The issued us a certificate in the month of March-2009, and the issue date mentioned in the certificate was the date of publication of the certificate i.e. March - 2009. The QMS followed was ISO 9001:2000.

Now the issues are:
1. Whether our organization can be considered as ISO certified during the period of Nove-08 to March-09?

2. Is there any guidelines which mentions about any validity periods of certifications?

The situation has become complex as during Nov- Mar we have participated in some tenders where there was a mandatory clause of the organization being ISO 9001 compliant , and one of the tender commitees had sought explanation regarding this issue.

Thanx in advance.

Regards,

Arindam
To the best of my knowledge there is grace period of 2 months between two certifications.Best way to confirm this is to consult a certification auditor.
In any case it is your mistake not to have renewed your certification in time.
V.J.Brahmaiah

Q

Qualqueen

Dear All,

Now the issues are:

Thanx in advance.

Regards,

Arindam

I don't understand why you weren't certed to 9001:2008. Also that mandatory clause states compliant....not certified. You've got them there! :notme:

T

trainerbob

It appears that it was your choice to let your certification lapse. I can see no way that you would be covered during the time in question. It looks like you will have to come up with an explanation for your actions to the party looking for the certification that they can accept. If you had no issues during that time and no problems during the new certification audit that may help you present your case to the interested party.

AndyN

Moved On

The certification lapsed.

Now, if the contract requirement was to be 'compliant' rather than third party 'certified' - you probably were OK, if you maintained your system during this time.

Your new CB did the correct thing to do a stage 1 etc. There is no grace period - as stated in another post, which is why this had to happen. It was, effectively, a 'start over'.

Paul Simpson

Trusted Information Resource

Dear All,

Hmm. Looks like a bit of bad planning on your organisation's part. If you have an expiry date of September you need to start the quest for a new CB in April / May. If the new CB has been responsible for some of the delays then you might get them to support your case.

That is quite a long time from assessment to certificate. Whewre there any issues at the initial assessment? Again CBs shouldn't issue the certificate until corrective actions have been verified and will then date the certificate for the time the decision was taken.

Now the issues are:
Nope! Actually you had no certification between end September 08 and March 09.

ISO IEC 17021 mandates a maximum period of 3 years - subject to continuing assessment.

You can ask your current CB to send you a letter to the effect that you were recommended for certification in December and that you were in the assessment process from November.

Thanx in advance.

Regards,

Arindam
As Andy has stated you can claim you were ISO 9001 compliant but not that you were certified. The letter from your CB should help. It does make me wonder what your response to the initial question was, though.

Top Bottom