SBS - The best value in QMS software

Validity of Using NCR's to evaluate Performance

K

KMatthew

Hello,

I am relatively new to the Quality Control Supervisor role as I was given the position due to a need to QC and ISO implementation. Since then I have been working to develop and maintain a Quality System for a small company. There is the introduction, now onto the discussion.

Every month my GM and I gather for a monthly quality meeting, in this meeting I present to him my monthly report graphing a number of things, but mostly what stikes his attention is the NCR category. Our NCR procedure states that we write an NCR for anything/process/person that is nonconforming, so that being said the majority of NCR's that I write are for rejected/nonconforming parts & materials (whether supplier related or internal yield).

Until about 3 months ago I hadn't been able to establish/implement a routine for cleaning up and logging rejection and so-forth, however my GM has requested for me to graph NCRs back 1 year from the date of the meeting (we had them, but not to extent that we have now). He believes that the graphs should reflect personal efficacy in the position and the sucessful reduction of NCRs, however each of the yearly graphs are skewed as any information prior to 2013 is unreliable as the QMS wasn't established until mid 2012.

My question/discussion is. What is the validty of using NCRs to evaluate personal/departmental effectiveness?

As I see it there are a number of outliers than can directly correlate to fluctuations in the prevalence of NCRs, such as: changing of vendors, introduction of new parts/products/materials, number of orders a month, number of employees working...etc.

What are your thoughts/experiences.

What is the most effective way to chart and document NCRs?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
K

KMatthew

Re: Validty of Using NCR's to evaluate Performance

My understanding is that a nonconformance report is to be used in any instance of nonconformance, maybe it be; broken parts, out of spec parts, procedural nonconformances, etc.. in which case if a process is not being followed would that not facilitate an NCR for an individual not following the procedure? (I would just like to mention that I have not written any NCRs for a person, but this is what i was told by the GM).

My original question still stands however...

insect warfare

QA=Question Authority
Trusted Information Resource
Re: Validty of Using NCR's to evaluate Performance

What is the validty of using NCRs to evaluate personal/departmental effectiveness?
NCR's should never be targeted at a person, they should always be targeted at a specific problem regarding process performance or product conformity. If you are using NCR's this way, you risk the whole corrective action program becoming nothing more than a "witch hunt" instead of a problem-solving tool, which will in turn reduce its credibility and team morale will be lost in the process.

Evaluating personal effectiveness should be left up to people who are in a better position to assess the workers - supervisors and managers. If they want, they will review these past NCR's at their own discretion to detect any negative trends in employee competencies.

Brian :rolleyes:

K

kgott

Hello,

Our NCR procedure states that we write an NCR for anything/process/person that is nonconforming.

My question/discussion is. What is the validty of using NCRs to evaluate personal/departmental effectiveness?
As I see it, your boss has done to you what you have done to others, used NCRs to evaluate your performance. I think he's giving you a lesson about the worthiness of using NCRs against people.

K

KMatthew

I do understand your point and that would definately explain the situation, had I ever used an NCR on a person, which I have not and do not plan to as I don't find it effective, as I stated previously I have been instructed to use an NCR for any person not following procedures, however I have never actually done so. Judging by your responses I have been correct in not doing so. Very roughly, about 85% of our NCRs are for rejected materials encountered during production (internal yield), about another 14% are for vendor related in that the materials received are nonconforming, and that final 1% is typically process related (these percentages are a rough estimate.

From the responses that I have received I believe I have not phrased the question properly so please allow me to rephrase the query.

Let us say I evaluate the number of NCRs accrued during each month for a period of 6 months, January to June. Each month yields the following:

January: 4
February:3
March: 4
April: 12
May: 4
June: 3

(These numbers are purely hypothetical for the purpose of the discussion)

Now if one were to graph the NCRs in a chart and plot a trend line through the graph it would show an increase. However there could be a number of factors that account for the outlying month of 12 NCRs. obvously you want to find the cause for the increase, but that is not what i am asking.

My question is: Is graphing the amount of NCR's a month and analysing the trend line an accurate/effective way of evaluating efficacy of QMS? Quality department? etc...

obviously you can break NCRs down into internal/external, Vendors, Processes, Materials, etc...

What kinda of information can you gather from a comprehensive graph such as described?

Last edited by a moderator:
T

treesei

It is very clear that no quality indicator should be used to evaluate individual performance.

An NCR chart is a way for the GM to see what's going on on production lines from a certain angle. However, many factors contribute to NCR (eg, got a new supplier, a new process, a new worker, or even your old supplier changed something at its end); I don't think NCR per se is a good indicator for QMS. To evaluate the QMS, I would be more interested in knowing what happened next, say, after the April peak. What the QMS did to NCR better reflects its performance.

There is nothing wrong to collect NCR data and turn them into an easy-to-read chart. The question is what the purpose of data collection is. A GM should not try to use NCR to evaluate individual performance but he can START with NCR to better understand the system performance. :2cents:

P

pauligle

It is extremely dangerous to start using the NCRs as a way to monitor the performance of the employees. You GM has no idea of what an NCR means and you should explain that to him quickly.
You should also explain to him that an NCR is not a bad thing but a good thing! Personally the more NCRs I have in my system the happier I am. Why? Because I know that there is a system of identifying the problems and quickly give solutions. As simple as that.
I would be very suspicious with a system with 0 NCRs.

We should all try (as Quality Professionals I mean) to elimiate the "blame" culture that is around an NCR. This is not helping anybody and it is definitely on the wrong direction.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
lanley liao The validity of API Spec Q1 certificate Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 2
J Validity / outcomes measure for custom made medical device ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
F ISO 17025:2017 Clause 7.7 Ensuring the validity of results - Threshold ISO 17025 related Discussions 9
M Informational EU – Application of transitional provisions concerning validity of certificates issued in accordance to Directives 90/385/EEC and 93/42/EEC Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 2
D MDD Certification Validity after May 2020 EU Medical Device Regulations 12
E ISO 13485 7.6 Control of monitoring and measuring equipment - Assess the Validity ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
J ISO 17025 - Please share a sample procedure for monitoring the validity of results ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
T CE Certification Strategy - Expanding the validity of certificate EU Medical Device Regulations 1
M CE mark validity after Brexit, 29th March '19 EU Medical Device Regulations 6
U ISO 17025:2017 Clause 7.7 Ensuring the Validity of Calibration Results ISO 17025 related Discussions 6
M Is there an Industry Norm for Expiry of Sterilisation Validity? EU Medical Device Regulations 6
somashekar About NB suspension and CE certificate validity EU Medical Device Regulations 12
J EU CE Mark Validity in Non EU countries - Brazil. Taiwan, China, Japan, Mexico EU Medical Device Regulations 1
alonFAI ISO 9001 Quality Manual Validity Period ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
G Validity for Thailand Medical Device License and can change Distributor thereafter? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 3
M Validity of Calibration outside the Calibration Range General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
G Validity of Extending Temperature Cycling Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 3
D Assessing the Validity of Previous Measuring Results? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
C Validity of a 5 year ISO 13485 Certificate ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
A Validity of Internal Auditor Certificate/Training Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 14
A Expiration of Validity Date for EN ISO 14971 ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 8
A Validity of IEC 60601-1 and IEC 60601-2-27 - An intermittent ECG event recorder IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
R Validity of Calibration Stickers on Measuring Tapes and Rulers General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 26
rob73 Length of validity of a self certified Declaration of Conformity (DoC) for CE mark EU Medical Device Regulations 4
S Validity of "Ship to Control" - Do you endorse this approach? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 15
C Validity Duration of USP / FDA Certificate? Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 5
V What is the Validity of IEC Test Reports? What about TRF Compliance? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2
J Length of Validity - Test Results Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 2
K ISO 13485 Registration Certificate Life-Time (Validity Period) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 21
Q Uncontrolled Hard Copy (Paper) Document Validity Period Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 12
J AS9100 Rev. B Certificate Validity AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
T CE Mark Validity despite expired 13485 Certification EU Medical Device Regulations 13
D IATF portal for TS 16949 Certificate Validity Check IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
S Validity of Craig Hane's Global Local Index for X-bar R Chart Assessment Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 3
P Validity of NB-MEDs (MDD / CE marking) EU Medical Device Regulations 2
M Validity of Old Biocompatibility Data (1999) - Catheter Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 3
E Validity of ISO 9001:2000 Certificates - How to handle supplier ISO 9001 certificates ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
V Criteria used to assess the Validity of a Complaint - Insurance Company Customer Complaints 4
L How to check for validity of registration scope during ISO9001:2008 external audit Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 3
A Validity of ISO 9001 Certification ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
D Time frame for validity of ISO 9001:2000 Certifications IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
C ISO 9001:2000 Certificate - How to have a 3 year validity instead of 1? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 15
C Ever come across an ISO 9001 certificate with more than 3 years validity period? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 35
S Validity of 7 Year Old Calibration Certificate General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 19
D Validity of ISO 17025 calibration waivers due to proprietary procedures ISO 17025 related Discussions 4
E COA's (Certificate of Analysis) from suppliers - Beginning to question validity Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 4
P CE certificate validity - Signing employee has left the company EU Medical Device Regulations 7
M 7.6 - Validity of the previous measuring results - Is this what validity means? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
T Variables Gage R&R - Minitab v14 - F statistic Calculation - ANOVA - Methods validity Using Minitab Software 2
Marc Customer Surveys - Validity? Fraud? Are they really of any value? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5