SBS - The Best Value in QMS software

Value Add Time Calculation in Value Stream Mapping (VSM)

S

sem_trivedi

Hello,
I am familiar with displaying Processing Time with Lead time on VSM.

However wanted to clarify if the individual process steps are performed by multiple operators, then obiviously the value add time is sum of each operators value add time for that process.

How do you depict the total VA time of each process steps on VSM? What do you compare it against as the Lead time will not serve as a good reference given that it doesn't care about number of operators in its calculation?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Stijloor

Staff member
Super Moderator
Hello,
I am familiar with displaying Processing Time with Lead time on VSM.

However wanted to clarify if the individual process steps are performed by multiple operators, then obiviously the value add time is sum of each operators value add time for that process.

How do you depict the total VA time of each process steps on VSM? What do you compare it against as the Lead time will not serve as a good reference given that it doesn't care about number of operators in its calculation?
Any VSM experts that can lend a hand?

Thank you!

Stijloor.

D

Duke Okes

Hello,I am familiar with displaying Processing Time with Lead time on VSM. However wanted to clarify if the individual process steps are performed by multiple operators, then obiviously the value add time is sum of each operators value add time for that process. How do you depict the total VA time of each process steps on VSM? What do you compare it against as the Lead time will not serve as a good reference given that it doesn't care about number of operators in its calculation?
Value-added time is different from operator time. VA time is clock time it takes to actually carry out a particular activity, regardless of number of people involved.

Productivity looks at VA time versus person-hours.

S

sem_trivedi

Thanks for your response Dukes and understand the productivity calculation.

However my question is, if for a particular operation there are 3 operatiors who contribute to it, say 3 operators work at the same time for the same duration, on the different area of the same workpiece and complete the task in exactly 15minutes. The processing time in this instance is 15min however there was 15x3=45min of value addition.

There has been a practice to show Value add time vs Leadtime on the Time line to highlighte % of value addition.

Question1: In the above example if the value add time is calculated as the sum of 3-operators' time, then it will be improper to compare it to Leadtime since the leadtime doesn't account for number of operators. What is the comparative time?

Question2: If in the above example, we ignore to sum the value addtions by the individual operators, then which operators value add time we must consider and report (the highest value adding operator or the lowest?). With this approach I am concerned that we won't be able to highlight improvement opportunities that may exist with other operators and even if someone improves other operators time spend on the operation it will still be not reflected on VSM timeline.

I am looking for a standard approach rather than inventing one myself for this problem just because I don't know that there is a standard approach.:read:

A

ab001

It's all about the product
Lead time = from time in to the factory to time out of the factory
VA time = time spent value adding (clock time - 15 mins in your example)
NVA time = time spent doing nothing (waiting, storage, ...)

Time in to the factory typically means cash out for materials.
VA time typically means cash out for labour.
NVA time typically means cash out for overheads.
Time out typically means cash in for sales.

You probably want to shorten cash in to cash out and/or minimize cash out. (it depends entirely on you and your organisation to decide what to do)

S

sem_trivedi

It's all about the product
Lead time = from time in to the factory to time out of the factory
VA time = time spent value adding (clock time - 15 mins in your example)
NVA time = time spent doing nothing (waiting, storage, ...)

Time in to the factory typically means cash out for materials.
VA time typically means cash out for labour.
NVA time typically means cash out for overheads.
Time out typically means cash in for sales.

You probably want to shorten cash in to cash out and/or minimize cash out. (it depends entirely on you and your organisation to decide what to do)
Thanks for your post ab001.
Both responses that I have received so far confirms that VSM only captures Cycletimes (i.e Lead time and value add time) but it doesn't show Effort time nor does it detail the consequences of improving value add % in the lead time.

With VSM I find that this is a significant limitation and not only that but it can provide entirely incorrect picture of the process.

E.g Let's assume that for a given process chain the,
Leadtime is : 24 hrs
Value Add time is : 12 hrs
and the Value add time is delivered by 2 resources

Hence, there is only 50% value add time compared to Lead time. If the process is such that it can be performed by one operator then by removing the other operator, the Value add time will increase to 24 hrs. And let's say that if all other wastes remain unchanged, then the Leadtime will increase to 36 hrs. Now the ratio of Value addtime to Leadtime has improved from 50% to 66.6%. Opps....

However the process can't affort to increase its Leadtime, but would rather we like to reduce the leadtime. So let's assume an extra resource was thrown in which then shrunk the value add time to 8 hrs. The end result is the new lead time now is 20 hrs and the % of value add time is 40%. Is this an improvement? Not really. It is true that the lead time has improved, but it shows the VA % has declined. This is just twisted arithmaticss

The real improvement opportunity in my opinion is to reduce the effort requirement for a given process, and that is not captured in VSM. Am I right?

A

AdamP

Thanks for your post ab001.

E.g Let's assume that for a given process chain the,
Leadtime is : 24 hrs
Value Add time is : 12 hrs
and the Value add time is delivered by 2 resources

Hence, there is only 50% value add time compared to Lead time. If the process is such that it can be performed by one operator then by removing the other operator, the Value add time will increase to 24 hrs. And let's say that if all other wastes remain unchanged, then the Leadtime will increase to 36 hrs. Now the ratio of Value addtime to Leadtime has improved from 50% to 66.6%. Opps....

If I'm understanding your thought process correctly, you are saying that VA or Value Add time is resource dependent, or that is what you are wanting to show. However, Value Add, as seen by and defined from the customer's point of view, is resource agnostic. It does not matter if you have 1 or 10,000 people working on the 12 hours of VA time within the overall 24 hour lead time. If you reduced the resources to 1, that still leaves 12 hours of VA and 12 hours of NVA time. Your areas of opportunity are to reduce the amount of NVA time in your process, and if it meets the customer's wishes, reduce the overall lead time. How you optimize resources within the process is part of that improvement, but in no way alters the designation of VA or NVA time.

Cheers.

P

pga_gold

It does not matter if you have 1 or 10,000 people working on the 12 hours of VA time within the overall 24 hour lead time. If you reduced the resources to 1, that still leaves 12 hours of VA and 12 hours of NVA time. Your areas of opportunity are to reduce the amount of NVA time in your process, and if it meets the customer's wishes, reduce the overall lead time. How you optimize resources within the process is part of that improvement, but in no way alters the designation of VA or NVA time.
AdamP is spot on with these comments. For clarification purposes, I would add that in order for a process step to be considered "Value Added" it must meet three criteria:
1) The step must physically transform the product or service,
2) The customer must be willing to pay for it, and
3) It must be done right the first time.

If a process step does not meet ALL 3 of the above statements, then it must be deemed as "Non-value Added." Equipment idle time, QC testing, transportation, repair/rework time are all big contributors to non-value added time. I am very accustomed to seeing VA time around or below 1% of the total lead time.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M IATF 16949 - 8.5.6.1.1 Providing a list of process controls: Does this requirement add value to QMS? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
Q Really do they add value (Vision, Mission, Values)? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
R How to calculate the value add time? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 2
T Distributor Value Add work to an AS9102 FAI part - Lubrication AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
Z How to make documents have value or add value? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
Chennaiite Value Engineering - Does Value Engineering really add value? Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 3
somashekar Inspection vs. Inspectors - Inspection is essential but Inspectors do not add Value Manufacturing and Related Processes 14
eternal_atlas NC for poorly communicated Quality Policy - Does it add value to an audit? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 29
A Where's the value add in product audits when your process is inspection based? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
B Does accreditation add value to business? ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 20
Paul Simpson Value Added External Audits - Do External Audits add value to your system? General Auditing Discussions 36
M Determining a tolerance value for Measuring devices in-house inspection General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 12
Proud Liberal Improving low p-value Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 13
BeaBea Registrars with VAR (Value Added Reseller) experience Registrars and Notified Bodies 8
qualprod Best approach to get a real value as average? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
F Missing value of Uncertainty B Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 10
F Calibration certificate content - Average Value and True Value ISO 17025 related Discussions 6
S In BAC5300 we have machining mismatch allowed is 3tau, what is the value of tau? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
S Change value of target during a batch Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 0
A Acceptance p-value for linearity and bias analysis in minitab results Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 0
A Torque Value for Different types of Fasteners (Socket Head, Button Head, CSK) Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
qualprod Cycle times, value stream mapping, inventory, average values? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 1
Ashok sunder What are the criteria for setting a target KPI value against a quality objective? Benchmarking 7
S Adding Value prior to signing EASA Form 1 EASA and JAA Aviation Standards and Requirements 5
M Creating a Plant Level Value Stream Map Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 1
A IMDS - Changing the Locked Weight Value RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 1
T Value Chain Map for Food Services Industry Service Industry Specific Topics 1
O P-Value less than 0.05. but everything else in control Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 19
qualprod P x I = Value interpretation for residual risk? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
O CPK with a P value less than 0.005 Manufacturing and Related Processes 8
G What degrees of freedom means in uncertainty budget and how do I set the value Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 2
D What is the exact Temperature Coefficient Value to be set on a Conductivity Meter? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
M Value Stream Mapping Calculations Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 5
L How to interpret the average R bar Value shown in the R Chart Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
G Non Value Added Corrective Actions IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 15
R How To Calculate & Print CDF and Lower Bound CDF value for some t(time) with Minitab? Using Minitab Software 1
P Purpose of calculating Uncertainty value in calibration study Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 5
J Agenda of Value Stream Mapping workshop required Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 1
M What is the value of documenting in-process rework for easily-detectable issues? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 4
R VSM - Value Stream Mapping (catheter manufacturing unit) Customer Complaints 10
W Quality for value adding or certification? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 23
T Cpk for 0 as Ideal Value Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
dubrizo Internal Audit Value - What is the point of conducting internal audits to a checklist Internal Auditing 40
L 5 minutes only for this Survey on the Value of PDCA and Your EMS Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 1
M How calculate P value for Linearity and Bias using Excel Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 8
J F and P-value in L9 Taguchi Design Using Minitab Software 22
S Value of Ppk or Cpk when targeting thinner material Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
B How to validate Microsoft Excel Spreadsheet Calculations for the Cpk value Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 9
V Analysis of 'Value Added' System & Process Steps - Inspection Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 2
P Which ISO 13485 clause(es) are applicable for Value Proposition Creation ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1