Value-Added Analysis - Staff (Employee) Satisfaction

D

dslman

Dear all,
I am in the stage of classifying the staff satisfaction survey steps into real value-adding , organizational value-adding , and non-value adding.
I stucked in the step of review & update the current questionnaire , I could not decide whether it's RVA or OVA.
Any help from your side please.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Staff member
Super Moderator
Re: Value-Added Analysis - Staff Satisfaction

dslman: can you elaborate on what you are trying to accomplish by classifying steps in the survey process? Also 'organizational value add' is a unique term - what is your definition?

D

dslman

Dear all,

I am trying to study the staff satisfaction survey process to identify all possible waste in the process - Organizational value- adding: all activities contribute to the organization’s needs such as scheduling, maintenance, information-handling, accounting, and administrating.

Regards.

John Broomfield

Staff member
Super Moderator

dslman,

Are you focused on removing waste from the processes that serve current customers or building new capabilities to fulfill the needs of future customers.

...or both?

May I suggest that analyzing your system and your strategy is more likely to yield the results you need than measuring staff satisfaction?

John

D

dslman

Hi John,
Are you focused on removing waste from the processes that serve current customers? Yes

We have to conduct the survey on a yearly basis to evaluate the level of staff satisfaction and identify their needs.

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Staff member
Super Moderator
staff? or Customers? whose staff? please elaborate

why do you have to survey? what needs are you trying to understnd?
why yearly? that isn't very frequent...I am always suspicious of a metric measured so in frequently. We know that something that is measured frequently is seen as important and provides many oppportunities for ccourse correction. for exampe, production is measured daily even hourly and it gets lots of attention...

J

JanHarvay

I want to know more about Organizational value- adding: and how all activities contribute to the organization?s needs such as scheduling, maintenance, information-handling, accounting, and administrating?

John Broomfield

Staff member
Super Moderator
I want to know more about Organizational value- adding: and how all activities contribute to the organization?s needs such as scheduling, maintenance, information-handling, accounting, and administrating?
Jan,

To prosper in the long term, organizations need to avoid waste in the fulfillment of customer requirements now and in the future.

The organization invests in processes that either:

• Add value for customers
  • Enable value to be added for customers or future customers
Other activities, processes, equipment and inventory tend to grow without constant vigilance. Eliminate this waste and the causes of such waste from the system by 5S or problem solving depending on the nature of the waste.

John

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Staff member
Admin
I wish I could remember which book I read it in (and my library is packed up) I can only recall an author suggesting we not try to build employee satisfaction, but try to not destroy satisfaction.

Assuming people come to work wanting to do well (and I think that is true) and we rely on others in tangible and non-tangible ways to help us succeed, the question becomes what those "ways" are and how to count them.

I think NIST's Baldrige program did the best job of that with their Are We Making Progress? survey.

When looking at the questions and their actionable nature, it might be easy to imagine how to adapt them for customer surveys. But I would keep customer surveys quite a lot shorter, like 5 questions at most. Think hard about what you really want to know from them, make it count.

I hope this helps!

John Broomfield

Staff member
Super Moderator
I wish I could remember which book I read it in (and my library is packed up) I can only recall an author suggesting we not try to build employee satisfaction, but try to not destroy satisfaction.

Assuming people come to work wanting to do well (and I think that is true) and we rely on others in tangible and non-tangible ways to help us succeed, the question becomes what those "ways" are and how to count them.

I think NIST's Baldrige program did the best job of that with their Are We Making Progress? survey.

When looking at the questions and their actionable nature, it might be easy to imagine how to adapt them for customer surveys. But I would keep customer surveys quite a lot shorter, like 5 questions at most. Think hard about what you really want to know from them, make it count.

I hope this helps!
Jennifer,

Was it Douglas McGregor?

http://www.economist.com/node/12370445

The Human Side of Enterprise?

http://www.amazon.com/Human-Side-Enterprise-Annotated-Edition/dp/0071462228

As insightful today as it was in 1960.

John

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
V Analysis of 'Value Added' System & Process Steps - Inspection Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 2
BeaBea Registrars with VAR (Value Added Reseller) experience Registrars and Notified Bodies 6
G Non Value Added Corrective Actions IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 15
T ISO Auditor Training - What online training is actually value added? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
WCHorn Are Inspection Operations Value Added? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 50
A Value added activities and WIP in a VSM Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 2
B Distributor Outsourcing Value Added Services - Is it work transfer? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 9
Z How to Establish a Process in Terms of more Added Value? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
J Adding Value to a 3rd Party Audit - What does 'Value Added' mean to you? General Auditing Discussions 25
M SPC vs. 100% Inspection - Is SPC still value-added when 100% inspection is in place? FMEA and Control Plans 40
Jen Kirley Beyond Compliance: Value-added auditing for system performance The Reading Room 9
G Added Value of EN9100 Certification for the Business - Aerospace and defence AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
W Is R&D a value-added process? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
R Added Value Benefits for a Warehousing Company to be ISO13485 Registered ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
T Recertification for Internal Supplier Auditors value added General Auditing Discussions 9
Paul Simpson Value Added External Audits - Do External Audits add value to your system? General Auditing Discussions 36
D Testing process is non value added process under TS16949? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
T Increasing Quality: Cost vs. Value Added Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 3
L Corrective Action System - Not Value Added ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
D VALUE ADDED - Take 2 Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 28
D Definition Value Added - Definition of 'Value Added' and the Three Levels of Value Added Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 46
A Linking ISO 9000 to Economic Value Added ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
S PPAP can we say waiver? A bureaucratic, non value-added mess QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 38
Proud Liberal Improving low p-value Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 13
qualprod Best approach to get a real value as average? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
F Missing value of Uncertainty B Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 8
F Calibration certificate content - Average Value and True Value ISO 17025 related Discussions 6
S In BAC5300 we have machining mismatch allowed is 3tau, what is the value of tau? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
S Change value of target during a batch Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 0
A Acceptance p-value for linearity and bias analysis in minitab results Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 0
A Torque Value for Different types of Fasteners (Socket Head, Button Head, CSK) Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
M IATF 16949 - 8.5.6.1.1 Providing a list of process controls: Does this requirement add value to QMS? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
qualprod Cycle times, value stream mapping, inventory, average values? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 1
Ashok sunder What are the criteria for setting a target KPI value against a quality objective? Benchmarking 7
S Adding Value prior to signing EASA Form 1 EASA and JAA Aviation Standards and Requirements 5
M Creating a Plant Level Value Stream Map Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 1
A IMDS - Changing the Locked Weight Value RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 1
T Value Chain Map for Food Services Industry Service Industry Specific Topics 1
O P-Value less than 0.05. but everything else in control Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 19
qualprod P x I = Value interpretation for residual risk? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
O CPK with a P value less than 0.005 Manufacturing and Related Processes 8
G What degrees of freedom means in uncertainty budget and how do I set the value Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 2
Q Really do they add value (Vision, Mission, Values)? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
D What is the exact Temperature Coefficient Value to be set on a Conductivity Meter? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
M Value Stream Mapping Calculations Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 5
L How to interpret the average R bar Value shown in the R Chart Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
R How To Calculate & Print CDF and Lower Bound CDF value for some t(time) with Minitab? Using Minitab Software 1
P Purpose of calculating Uncertainty value in calibration study Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 5
J Agenda of Value Stream Mapping workshop required Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 1
M What is the value of documenting in-process rework for easily-detectable issues? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 4