VALUE ADDED - Take 2

D

David Mullins

OK,
We've had plenty of variety of definitions for "value added".

Here's a scenario I'd like you to adjudicate on:

Engineers generate an internal report, which takes a couple of hundred hours. Consequently it is decided to include this document as a deliverable to the customer so that they can pay for the work. (don't judge this - just accept is as a condition of the scenario)

The report is presented for final approval before delivery to customer. It is full of inconsistent use of Proper Nouns, lower and upper case use at the start of bullet points, different use of , ; . in bullet points. Large amounts of punctuation missing at the end of paragraphs.

QUESTION:
Do you approve the report to be sent to the customer, because there is no value in spending 15 hours re-doing the 67 page report, having it reviewed again, etc, or do you have it corrected even though it won't add value to the report?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
That sounds familiar...

Ouch...

I hate it when documents like that leave the premises... The company image must be worth something too.

Although I'm not fond of (understatement) unnecessary work either, I'd probably want it touched up... considering what it might do to the image it may not *be* unnecessary.

I'm not able to give you a conclusive answer. Of course it depends a lot on how you work with the customer in question.

/Claes

J
I agree with Claes. But for more than simply image. The misuse of puctuaion etc, can change the meaning of words and sentences. Look at how difficult it can be sometimes for us to communicate clearly on these boards. We even have the emoticons to help us.

The purpose of the document is to communucate. It must be properly presented in order to do this accurately. If the document is a deliverable then it should be correct.

James

Right, James..

You're right of course, James.

In my reply I assumed the content to be correct and the presentation to be poor, but a poor presentation or layout can easily cause mistakes...

/Claes

D

D.Scott

Full agreement here

A document like you describe would never leave here. What you are describing takes any value-added benefit and turns it into a potential negative.

Last thing we need is for a customer to think our highly touted engineers are really a bunch of trained chimpanzees (no slam intended toward the simian species - we all know they make better chemists than engineers).

Dave

J

Jim Biz

Sloppy??

What I'm seeing here is a description of a resource group with a lack of "competent, effective methods".

If trained engineers (we are talking degreed engineers - not just appointed to the job title folks right?) did not take - or did - disregard English 101, yet managed to use "hundereds of hours?" on a report... it reminds me of a Dilbert cartoon.

I would agree ... for sure don't send it out without appropriate editing ... (better yet inform tose responsible for the conntent that the customer will see and judge his/her work.

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
I have to agree. The company image has value and to preserve it, a re-work is in order here. But, to keep unnecessary costs down, I would imagine a secretary-level person could do it (correct the spelling, punctuation, etc.) and, utilizing the change-monitoring functions in most word-processing software, the engineer-authors could review the changes pretty quickly.

Mike S

WALLACE

Quite Involved in Discussions
Incomplete report.

Dave,
If you are the approving authority of the report Then, your name is what shall be seen on the approval line, If the report is clear and understandable, that's the purpose of the report.
The spelling, gramatical and layout mess are the problems so, why don't you get to the root cause of this problem by addressing training? :bonk:
Wallace.

D

David Mullins

some more points

1. Yes we're talking degree qualified engineers.
2. Claes, we're talking a Swedish owned company, so your impressions from a cultural viewpoint are also valid.
3. Dilbert is this company's favourite cartoon, and they use them often to reflect their own operations.

I have sent the same question (that I asked here) to my boss and the top Swede in the organisation. I wonder how much they value the reputation of the company.
I'll let you know.

Re: some more points

David Mullins said:

2. Claes, we're talking a Swedish owned company, so your impressions from a cultural viewpoint are also valid.
Ahaaaa... Now I'm really getting curious... Can't wait to hear more.

Incidentally, I and many others have noted an above average percentage of what seems like dyslexia among highly trained engineers here. The question is if this is what it looks like, or if they just didn't bother with the written word in school because they found the tech stuff more interesting?

Whatever the reason, the end result is an abundance of poorly written documents. Is it a local thing, or do the rest of you see it too?

/Claes

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
BeaBea Registrars with VAR (Value Added Reseller) experience Registrars and Notified Bodies 7
G Non Value Added Corrective Actions IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 15
V Analysis of 'Value Added' System & Process Steps - Inspection Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 2
D Value-Added Analysis - Staff (Employee) Satisfaction Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 11
T ISO Auditor Training - What online training is actually value added? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
WCHorn Are Inspection Operations Value Added? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 50
A Value added activities and WIP in a VSM Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 2
B Distributor Outsourcing Value Added Services - Is it work transfer? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 9
Z How to Establish a Process in Terms of more Added Value? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
J Adding Value to a 3rd Party Audit - What does 'Value Added' mean to you? General Auditing Discussions 25
M SPC vs. 100% Inspection - Is SPC still value-added when 100% inspection is in place? FMEA and Control Plans 40
Jen Kirley Beyond Compliance: Value-added auditing for system performance The Reading Room 9
G Added Value of EN9100 Certification for the Business - Aerospace and defence AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
W Is R&D a value-added process? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
R Added Value Benefits for a Warehousing Company to be ISO13485 Registered ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
T Recertification for Internal Supplier Auditors value added General Auditing Discussions 9
Paul Simpson Value Added External Audits - Do External Audits add value to your system? General Auditing Discussions 36
D Testing process is non value added process under TS16949? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
T Increasing Quality: Cost vs. Value Added Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 3
L Corrective Action System - Not Value Added ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
D Definition Value Added - Definition of 'Value Added' and the Three Levels of Value Added Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 46
A Linking ISO 9000 to Economic Value Added ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
S PPAP can we say waiver? A bureaucratic, non value-added mess QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 38
M Determining a tolerance value for Measuring devices in-house inspection General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 12
Proud Liberal Improving low p-value Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 13
qualprod Best approach to get a real value as average? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
F Missing value of Uncertainty B Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 9
F Calibration certificate content - Average Value and True Value ISO 17025 related Discussions 6
S In BAC5300 we have machining mismatch allowed is 3tau, what is the value of tau? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
S Change value of target during a batch Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 0
A Acceptance p-value for linearity and bias analysis in minitab results Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 0
A Torque Value for Different types of Fasteners (Socket Head, Button Head, CSK) Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
M IATF 16949 - 8.5.6.1.1 Providing a list of process controls: Does this requirement add value to QMS? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
qualprod Cycle times, value stream mapping, inventory, average values? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 1
Ashok sunder What are the criteria for setting a target KPI value against a quality objective? Benchmarking 7
S Adding Value prior to signing EASA Form 1 EASA and JAA Aviation Standards and Requirements 5
M Creating a Plant Level Value Stream Map Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 1
A IMDS - Changing the Locked Weight Value RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 1
T Value Chain Map for Food Services Industry Service Industry Specific Topics 1
O P-Value less than 0.05. but everything else in control Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 19
qualprod P x I = Value interpretation for residual risk? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
O CPK with a P value less than 0.005 Manufacturing and Related Processes 8
G What degrees of freedom means in uncertainty budget and how do I set the value Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 2
Q Really do they add value (Vision, Mission, Values)? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
D What is the exact Temperature Coefficient Value to be set on a Conductivity Meter? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
M Value Stream Mapping Calculations Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 5
L How to interpret the average R bar Value shown in the R Chart Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
R How To Calculate & Print CDF and Lower Bound CDF value for some t(time) with Minitab? Using Minitab Software 1
P Purpose of calculating Uncertainty value in calibration study Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 5
J Agenda of Value Stream Mapping workshop required Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 1