Value Chain Map for Food Services Industry

T

tomshark

Greetings all.

This is actually my first post in this forum and I basically have some questions related to value chain map and business process management itself. I am quite new in this area and may need assistance from experts in this forum.

I'm also really sorry if my questions have been answered somewhere else but as far as I checked, I cannot find them yet.

So, currently I've been assigned to sort out Business Process Management areas in the food services company which already have massive amounts (I meant it) of business processes (from Policy, Procedures, Working Instructions, Manual, etc).

The problem is these documents are prepared based on needs and requests from management (on reactive basis). We do not have the bigger picture or plan in developing them.

Soo, we are now having difficulties to see the bigger picture as well as the relationship between processes. Whether they are properly well-linked or not. Also not to mention spotting which processes which may be currently missing. Simply this situation is a complete mess :frust:

As I've been assigned to sort out this mess, I'd like to get back to the basic.

So, my first step... I found out that the company did not even have the complete list (depository list) of their business processes (yes, quite a surprise for me too) and therefore, I am currently in the process of listing all of them.

And I am thinking for the next best step. Based on books and resources I read, I think I'll go by preparing Value Chain Map for the organization and then prepare the derivatives of Value Chain which is Business Process map.

Then I'll try to fit out all of the mess into the suitable VC and Business Process Map.

My questions are:

1. Am I doing the right things?
  2. I am currently having the difficulties to prepare the Value Chain Map and Business Process map itself. Should I map the VC Map based on my understanding? I am not sure if it is, this is a new industry for me. Is there any "correct" steps/guidance to prepare the VC Map?
  3. I understand there are several references such as SCOR or Porter's but I don't think they are quite applicable in my industry.
    So, I really appreciate if there any of you that maybe could help me by suggesting the VC Framework and BP Map that I shall use? Or better if one could share his/her VC Framework for my references.:)

Really appreciate if the experts could help me on this matter.

:thanx:

John Broomfield

Leader
Super Moderator
Greetings all.

This is actually my first post in this forum and I basically have some questions related to value chain map and business process management itself. I am quite new in this area and may need assistance from experts in this forum.

I'm also really sorry if my questions have been answered somewhere else but as far as I checked, I cannot find them yet.

So, currently I've been assigned to sort out Business Process Management areas in the food services company which already have massive amounts (I meant it) of business processes (from Policy, Procedures, Working Instructions, Manual, etc).

The problem is these documents are prepared based on needs and requests from management (on reactive basis). We do not have the bigger picture or plan in developing them.

Soo, we are now having difficulties to see the bigger picture as well as the relationship between processes. Whether they are properly well-linked or not. Also not to mention spotting which processes which may be currently missing. Simply this situation is a complete mess :frust:

As I've been assigned to sort out this mess, I'd like to get back to the basic.

So, my first step... I found out that the company did not even have the complete list (depository list) of their business processes (yes, quite a surprise for me too) and therefore, I am currently in the process of listing all of them.

And I am thinking for the next best step. Based on books and resources I read, I think I'll go by preparing Value Chain Map for the organization and then prepare the derivatives of Value Chain which is Business Process map.

Then I'll try to fit out all of the mess into the suitable VC and Business Process Map.

My questions are:

1. Am I doing the right things?
  2. I am currently having the difficulties to prepare the Value Chain Map and Business Process map itself. Should I map the VC Map based on my understanding? I am not sure if it is, this is a new industry for me. Is there any "correct" steps/guidance to prepare the VC Map?
  3. I understand there are several references such as SCOR or Porter's but I don't think they are quite applicable in my industry.
    So, I really appreciate if there any of you that maybe could help me by suggesting the VC Framework and BP Map that I shall use? Or better if one could share his/her VC Framework for my references.:)

Really appreciate if the experts could help me on this matter.

:thanx:

Tom,

Lots of theory in your post and here.

You don’t mention your competencies but I’d recommend top-notch accredited lead auditor training so you have a solid understanding of process-based management systems, their standards and how to audit systems and their processes for effectiveness.

Then you should be ready to study and understand your organization and how it actually works as a system interacting with its customers and suppliers (and, possibly, regulators).

Do this initially with top management to determine the processes that are vital to their mission. Risk based thinking will help you to keep this high level and avoid getting into the weeds. From this session you want to know what the organization does to fulfill its mission from understanding customer needs, fulfilling those needs and getting paid to invest in improvement (this is your core process or value chain running from needs to cash). Capture this with a deployment flowchart (showing the processes, responsible functions and their interactions) and a spreadsheet (master list) showing the identity and owners of each process.

Don’t forget to determine the processes that enable and improve the core process such as recruiting and training (for competence), purchasing, maintaining facilities and equipment, auditing and improving the system and its processes.

Then work with each process owner to capture (again with a deployment flowchart) showing who does what to fulfill the objectives of each process. Here you are thinking PDCA and SIPOC to emphasize what is actually done to prevent problems. Be sure to show where any other processes (from the master list) interact.

Focus on as-is (not should-be). And have the process owners gather as-is comments from their process team members. Keep these flowcharted representations of the system's processes (work) up to date via your in-house wiki or some other shared resource for modeling, visualizing and understanding how your organization actually works as a system.

Best wishes,

John

Top Bottom