Valve Tester GR&R

M

MexQe

I made a GR&R to a valve tester, the valve tester has the following test settings:

0 to 850 psi fails
850 to 999 psi is a #1 valve
1000 to 1099 psi is a #2 valve
1100 to 1199 psi is a #3 valve
1200 to 1299 psi is a #4 valve
1300 to 1399 psi is a #5 valve
1400 to 1549 psi is a #6 valve
Above 1550 psi fails.

I took 1 or 2 valves from each of the types of valve from #1 to #6 and the results are attached since I couldn't upload pictures to a image hosting website from my work's browser..

The issue here is that if I grab a valve and it measures 1400, then I test it again and it measures 1375, the operator is not going to measure it twice so he is going to label it as wathever the first reading belongs to, I hoped that by performing the GR&R it would show me a high variation % from the equipment but it didn't..

My question is should I have picked 10 samples but only from 1 type of valve rather than 10 samples from all the types of valves ? for instance 10 valves varying from 1300 to 1399 rather than 10 valves from 0 to 1550 ??

Attachments

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Stijloor

Staff member
Super Moderator
A Quick Bump!

Can someone help?

If your questions were answered here, please consider helping others.

Thank you very much!

Miner

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Admin
There are a number of ways that this could be handled.

First, I will assume that this is strictly an inspection (and classification) device and is NOT used for process control such as SPC. Given that assumption, the method of collecting your samples does not affect the calculation of the %Tol metric, so your approach is acceptable.

While I prefer using the actual numerical results, which you did use, you could also perform an attribute gage study to assess how well the device classifies the valves. However, I believe that the approach taken was the better approach.

M

MexQe

Okay, I guess im just going to repeat the study with only 1 type of valve and I'll also capture what the tester labeled the valve as.. I'll post the results later, thanks for the reply.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R Opening pressure of one-way valve in anaesthetic workstation IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
D Standards for Drop Testing of Valve Bags Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
R Use of Valve Bags for Medical Grade Polymer Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
N Check Valve and Pumps for Gas Compression Systems - Ped 97/23/ec? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
V Defining our Scope of Certification - Manufacture & Sales of Butterfly Valve ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
U Example of DFMEA & PFMEA for a throttle body (Butterfly valve) FMEA and Control Plans 2
ScottK Gauge R&R on a valve pressure setting system Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
Z ASTM A240 for valve housing Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 1
C Need help error proofing valve. All ideas welcome. Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 31
S Valve Inspection and Testing - API Standard 598 Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 3
B Photovoltaic Tester Calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0
S Capability or Gage R&R Study for Leak Tester? Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 15
P Test Method Validation for Tensile Strength Tester Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 0
A Tubing Clog Tester - Convert from Air Bubble to Flow Rate Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 1
F Leak Tester Gage R&R Sheet Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 0
O Capability or Gage R&R Study for Leak Tester Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 11
S GR&R for Hardness Tester and Arc Spark Spectrometer Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 15
alonFAI Gauge R&R for a Peel Tester (tensile tester) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 11
S GRR (Gage Repeatability and Reproducibility) for Material Strength Tester Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
S MSA (measurement system analysis) on Flammability tester? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
D Wire/Conductor Elongation Tester Verification General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
A How to Calibrate Laser Beam Tester & Radiation Monitor General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
W Profilometer Surface Roughness Tester Issue - Ball Bearings ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
L Calibration of ESD Wrist Strap Tester General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 14
S GR&R for an "R" value instrument installed on my 10K Horizontal Tester Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
C How to Calibrate a Viscosity Tester General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
L Building your own Leakage Current Tester IEC60990 Other US Medical Device Regulations 4
R MU (Measurement Uncertainty) of a Tensile Tester (e.g. Zwick Roell) Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 4
I TS16949 - MSA for Agilent Parametric Tester IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
I TS16949 - MSA for Agilent Parametric Tester Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
K Wilson Hardness Tester Model 525 Accuracy/Repeatability issues help General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
Johnnymo62 What oil do I use for our Starrett 3814 Hardness Tester? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
N Need Calibration Service for Mechanical Tester - Zwick Roell General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
R Torque Tester Calibration Traceability and Certificate question ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
W MSA on a Hardness Tester to satisfy a Customer who is requiring Hardness Cpk Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 17
J Looking for a Calibration Facility for a Surface Roughness Tester General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
Geoff Cotton Measurement Uncertainty (MU) of HR-150A Rockwell Hardness Tester Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 1
B Surface Roughness Tester Acceptance Criteria Calibration Frequency (Interval) 4
B Validation of a Pressure Decay Leak Tester for a Medical Device Design and Development of Products and Processes 2
C Roundness Tester Gage R and R Frustration - Tolerance range of 20 microns Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 13
S Measuring Scratches with a Surface Roughness Tester General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
J Minor NC - No MSA study on Tensile Tester IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
N Doubt on Bias study for EOLT (End Of Line Tester) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
J Classes for Hydraulic Calibration - Dead Weight Tester or Automated Controller General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
V PPAPing an end of line Motor Tester APQP and PPAP 2
N Gage R&R on an EOLT (End Of Line Tester) - Include Reference or not? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
M Runout Gage R&R - MSA on Roundness Tester - Minitab Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 9
Ron Rompen Recommended Rockwell 30T Scale Hardness Tester to verify Incoming Product General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
M Protocol for Validating Pull Tester and Force Gage Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 9
J Gage R&R - Sensor Tester with Multiple Operators and Multiple Sensor Test Channels Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5