Vendor (Supplier) Evaluations and Reports

Do vendor evaluations need to be sent to each vendor showing how we evaluated them? Or can I just send a blank evaluation form showing how we evaluate each vendor?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
Please describe your evaluation process.
Managers and purchasing department answer specific questions about each vendor on a form. Those forms are then stored on a network. If issues arise or the vendor does not receive a specific score on an evaluation we then try to find a new vendor. My question is do I have to show the vendor their specific score or do I just have to inform them on what criteria we are looking for?

John C. Abnet

Teacher, sensei, kennari
Good day @BbarryMc ;
Not sure what rule (..."do i have to show...") or standard/governance your organization is working under. Assuming ISO 9001 and/or IATF 16949, there is no requirement to "...show the vendor their specific score..."

However, I am concerned by the line of questioning. Instead of only considering what your organization HAS to do (i.e. as directed by some standard , auditor, etc...) I would challenge you to consider what organization NEEDS to do. What level of monitoring and vendor development is needed to serve the needs of your organization? Instead of simply "...try(ing) to find a new vendor" because a target score on a self evaluation was not achieved, maybe it would be best to consider how your organization can build relationships with your vendors and if/how your organization can work cooperatively with your vendors to develop them. Look at "requirements" selfishly through the eyes of your organization instead of legalistically through the script of a standard.

Hope this helps.
Be well.

Thank you so much for your response. This is in regards to ISO 9001:2015. Last year while being audited by a third party the auditor stated these evaluations need to be sent to the vendors. However, I am now having a hard time finding proof of this in the standard.

John C. Abnet

Teacher, sensei, kennari
Thank you so much for your response. This is in regards to ISO 9001:2015. Last year while being audited by a third party the auditor stated these evaluations need to be sent to the vendors. However, I am now having a hard time finding proof of this in the standard.
You are very welcome @BbarryMc

Auditor is wrong to tell you that.
Always ask auditors to provide the rule that dictates when they tell you to do something or write a non-conformance.

(I would council that this type of information should be shared with your vendors, but there is no requirement to do so.)

Hope this helps.
Be well.

Kirby

Involved In Discussions
You are very welcome @BbarryMc

Auditor is wrong to tell you that.
Always ask auditors to provide the rule that dictates when they tell you to do something or write a non-conformance.

(I would council that this type of information should be shared with your vendors, but there is no requirement to do so.)

Hope this helps.
Be well.
Not sure I'm correct but I'm guessing that the auditor is referencing 8.4.3b.. as the basis for telling you that you must share the evaluation with the supplier.
"The organization shall ensure the adequacy of requirements prior to their communication to the external provider. The organization shall communicate to external providers its requirements for:
... b. the approval of
1. products and services
2. methods, processes and equipment
3. the release of products and services"

or maybe 8.4.3e. "The organization shall communicate to external providers its requirements for: control and monitoring of the external providers’ performance to be applied by the organization"
The interesting thing is the use of the word "its". Some of the items on the "a-through-f list" ( for ISO, a-through- j for AS) that's a part of this clause will, no doubt, not apply to every organization so those items are not necessarily part of "its" (the organizations) requirements but based on the requirement of 8.4.1 that you must determine controls applied to suppliers, it doesn't help here.
So, in summary (finally! Right?) I think that you (we) may indeed be required to share the criteria (the form with no added content) but there are a bunch of folks on this site that would likely be able to provide better response, I'll be watching.

Last edited:
Yes I agree with you I keep reading it and looking for a definite answer on other sites but can not make a final decision one way or the other. Thank you for your input I will keep it in mind when making my decision!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R Supplier/Vendor Surveys (360) Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 1
Q AS9120 Vendor of ESD Monitoring Equipment needs to be in the Approved Supplier List? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
P Supplier (Vendor) Evaluation Criteria - IATF 16949 Cl. 8.4.1.2 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
S Vendor Control for Customer Designated Supplier ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
L What to look for in a Vendor (Supplier) Evaluation for AVL ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 14
O Vendor (Supplier) Responsibility - Re: Quality Audits 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
M Evaluating Vendor (Supplier) Products using SQC Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
M Difference between Vendor List and Supplier List Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 20
M Documenting Vendor (Supplier) Issues Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
E What are Validation Requirements for Vendor (Supplier) Processes Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 5
H Medical Device Vendor (Supplier) Audits - Foreign Languages and Translations General Auditing Discussions 7
L Access to Hospitals - Vendor (Supplier) Credentialing Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 1
K Approved Vendor (Supplier) List and Supplier Evaluation Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 16
G Auditor Requirements - AS9100 Vendor (Supplier) Audits Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 2
N Using a Vendor's (Supplier's) Quality System ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
Q Vendor (Supplier) Quality Plan vs. Our QMS? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
I Supplier (Vendor) Contract Review Process Contract Review Process 11
M Do we need to conduct Vendor (Supplier) Evaluation? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 17
P Calibration Vendor (Supplier) Performance and Expectations General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
T AVL (Approved Vendor List) Supplier Listing - ISO 13485 Requirements ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
T Diversity Vendor (Supplier) Requirements for Tier 1 and 2 Companies Customer and Company Specific Requirements 3
J Setting up a Vendor (Supplier) and Internal Audit System - Need help Internal Auditing 4
N Acceptance of Supplier to AVL (Approved Vendor List) - How long? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 9
D Template for Vendor (Supplier) Qualification ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 26
N Vendor (Supplier) Notification template Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
F Vendor (supplier) for ISO 13485 Medical Devices Co. minimum QA System ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
J New Vendor (Supplier) Certification & AQL Question AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 1
R Approved Vendor (Supplier) List contain Vendor Evaluation? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 6
R Nonconformance Material - Return to Vendor (Supplier) Procedure Nonconformance and Corrective Action 4
S Are vendor (supplier) quotes records that must be saved (controlled)? Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 22
T Vetting a potential calibration vendor (supplier evaluation) General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
K Auditing the Internal Vendor (Supplier) Management Process Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 2
F Vendor (Supplier) Survey template needed Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 5
Z Ring Gage Calibration Sizes Shrunk with New External Vendor (supplier) General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 16
P Vendor (Supplier) Management in TS16949 General Auditing Discussions 4
S Auditor recommends better Vendor (Supplier) Auditing Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 20
S Is there a Vendor (Supplier) Preventive Action? Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 9
R Approved Vendor (Supplier) if Customer Pays Sub-tier Shipping Company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
J Should the term "Supplier" or "Vendor" be used within procedures? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
S Staff Augmentation Vendor (Supplier) - Performance Evaluation (rating & index) Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 8
D How can a vendor (supplier) with no third party certification be approved? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 1
D Vendor (Supplier) Audit Form as a Controlled Form and as a Record Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 15
R Definition What is exactly meaning of word between "Supplier" and "Vendor" ? Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 3
Steve McQuality How to Determine Critical Supplier/Vendor Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 15
A Vendor (Supplier) Evaluation of Service Providers ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
T Vendor (Supplier) Approval Procedure - Scope of the procedure ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
G Vendor (Supplier) Satisfaction Survey questionnaire Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 5
Q Do I have to qualify my approved vendor (supplier) status? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 2
O Certificate of Compliance for a Vendor (Supplier) - Looking for an example Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 8
M How to calculate supplier (vendor) PPM? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 9