Vendor vs Engineering Document Control

Hi everyone,

I would like suggestions on how to convince my Engineering Systems team leader about dividing document control department in two separate groups, vendor and engineering. In my 12 years experience in document control with various EPCM companies there was always such division within the department, in my current company vendor documentation is a new process that use to be handled by other EP's and is now slowly being handled internally by us.

My area of expertise is vendor documentation (+10 years) as such I am handling all the orders at this point, also creating workflows and writing all the procedures, recommendations, RACI charts, etc. My problem is that this is on top of my main function of engineering documentation for 2 polyethylene plants.

Recently my Engineering Systems team leader has announced he wants to restructure the departments within his umbrella to be vertical on the roles and responsibilities so that everyone within the same department has a little knowledge of everything instead of specific tasks within the roles so one person can replace another on their functions, as such, each member will be handling Capital projects, Unit projects, and vendor purchase order within their own plants.

I have been doing some research trying to explain my boss reasons within the industry why document control department should be divided between Engineering and Vendor like everyone else in the industry at least it was a very small supplier or EP company where one person does it all. Since the processes are very different but I could not find any document control organization chart and document control roles and responsabilities that can explain the differences between the two then I started to put a list together of the differences between the two processes (see attached) but I need a stronger case to prove him why doing the division between the two would be more effective for the company. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Oscar

Attachments

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

John Broomfield

Staff member
Super Moderator
Oscar,

Best to avoid making document control a department. Instead ensure that processes resulting in documented information are supported by a robust process for controlling such information.

These days that means a wiki or document management software on which the Cove has many examples and discussions.

Departments or functions exist to serve processes, projects and customers not the other way around.

From what your boss is saying, your management system is department based instead of being process-based as specified by ISO 9001.

As to the vendor v engineering separation I would put all vendor docs through engineering for review and approval or review and acceptance before plugging said information into the process for controlling documented information.

Best wishes,

John

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R Supplier/Vendor Surveys (360) Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 1
B Vendor (Supplier) Evaluations and Reports Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 11
Q AS9120 Vendor of ESD Monitoring Equipment needs to be in the Approved Supplier List? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
A API Q1 9th ed Addendum 2 - Vendor Assessment for critical products Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 18
P Supplier (Vendor) Evaluation Criteria - IATF 16949 Cl. 8.4.1.2 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
S Financial status of critical vendor IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 7
H Require PPAP Before Qualifying Vendor? (Packaging) APQP and PPAP 2
H Perfusion System - HLM Components with Vendor Neutrality Other US Medical Device Regulations 6
K Vendor Management for an API Manufacturer? Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 4
C Vendor Self-Survey to Qualify Vendors/Suppliers - AVL Question ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
S Vendor Control for Customer Designated Supplier ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
A Does anyone have a SW (LIMS) Vendor Audit Checklist? Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 5
L What to look for in a Vendor (Supplier) Evaluation for AVL ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 14
N Which Suppliers Belong on my AVL (Approved Vendor List)? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
M Developing a new Plating Vendor - What software to track certifications Software Quality Assurance 2
O Vendor (Supplier) Responsibility - Re: Quality Audits 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
K Method to qualify COTS Suppliers into AVL (Approved Vendor List) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
M Evaluating Vendor (Supplier) Products using SQC Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
M Difference between Vendor List and Supplier List Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 20
M Documenting Vendor (Supplier) Issues Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
E What are Validation Requirements for Vendor (Supplier) Processes Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 5
H Medical Device Vendor (Supplier) Audits - Foreign Languages and Translations General Auditing Discussions 7
R 820.50 (A) (2)Define the Type and Extent of Control to be exercised over Vendor Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 5
K Calibration Vendor for Wave Solder Optimizer/Profiler General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
L Access to Hospitals - Vendor (Supplier) Credentialing Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 1
K Approved Vendor (Supplier) List and Supplier Evaluation Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 16
G Auditor Requirements - AS9100 Vendor (Supplier) Audits Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 2
N Using a Vendor's (Supplier's) Quality System ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
Q Vendor (Supplier) Quality Plan vs. Our QMS? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
M Approval of an Outside "vendor" (a welder) working in-line at our facility Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 3
I Supplier (Vendor) Contract Review Process Contract Review Process 11
M Exempt Vendors (Suppliers) recommended by Business Partners in Vendor Evaluation? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
A As a Vendor, how to Monitor and Assure Latex Free for all Components? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
M Do we need to conduct Vendor (Supplier) Evaluation? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 17
P Calibration Vendor (Supplier) Performance and Expectations General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
T AVL (Approved Vendor List) Supplier Listing - ISO 13485 Requirements ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
T Diversity Vendor (Supplier) Requirements for Tier 1 and 2 Companies Customer and Company Specific Requirements 3
J Setting up a Vendor (Supplier) and Internal Audit System - Need help Internal Auditing 4
N Acceptance of Supplier to AVL (Approved Vendor List) - How long? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 9
D Template for Vendor (Supplier) Qualification ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 26
N Vendor (Supplier) Notification template Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
A AS9100 - Trusted Vendor, what is this... AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
F Vendor (supplier) for ISO 13485 Medical Devices Co. minimum QA System ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
J New Vendor (Supplier) Certification & AQL Question AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 1
R Approved Vendor (Supplier) List contain Vendor Evaluation? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 6
R Nonconformance Material - Return to Vendor (Supplier) Procedure Nonconformance and Corrective Action 4
D Is a vendor of Class ll (Orthodontic Adhesive) required to be ISO certified ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
S Are vendor (supplier) quotes records that must be saved (controlled)? Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 22
T Vetting a potential calibration vendor (supplier evaluation) General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
K Auditing the Internal Vendor (Supplier) Management Process Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 2